• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Checked shirts

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to really like checked shirts, however, I was recently informed by a salesman that checked shirts may be too "mature" for someone in their 20s. He suggested simple stripes and solids instead.

Any thoughts on this?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
Any thoughts on this?

Among the thoughts I am willing to put in print, I would say that the salesman is ill-informed. Go for it.

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Among the thoughts I am willing to put in print, I would say that the salesman is ill-informed. Go for it.

<< raises hand to silently agree >>

kali77

Reaction score
Agreed with above. I am in my 20's and have quite a few check shirts that I wear frequently.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So it sounds like I'm not alone in liking checks and thinking they are just fine for someone in their 20s.

Anyone with a contrary viewpoint wish to share their reasoning?

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So it sounds like I'm not alone in liking checks and thinking they are just fine for someone in their 20s.

Anyone with a contrary viewpoint wish to share their reasoning?

I think they're fine for younger folks, but some checks look lame. Same as with the other patterns.

The S&D section seems to like slim-fit short-sleeve check shirts, so they're in style right now.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm starting to really like checked shirts, however, I was recently informed by a salesman that checked shirts may be too "mature" for someone in their 20s. He suggested simple stripes and solids instead.

Any thoughts on this?

In sales speak, he didn't have any in stock.

Pariolino

Reaction score
Being a bigger man, I don't wear checks. I find that checks, especially in brighter colors, make me look like a beached whale. No thank you!

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oscarthewild
Is this the kind of check you are asking about?
http://www.robinwood.com/Catalog/Sec...nelShirt1.html

It does have good pattern matching. But I didn't see too many entries with this sort of shirt in the pattern matching contest.

Yes, and I was having quite a bit of trouble matching that shirt to a suit and tie. That is where the salesman was supposed to help.

Seriously though, I was looking at shirts with a blue windowpane pattern on a white background. Pretty simple as far as checks go.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, and I was having quite a bit of trouble matching that shirt to a suit and tie. That is where the salesman was supposed to help.

Seriously though, I was looking at shirts with a blue windowpane pattern on a white background. Pretty simple as far as checks go.

That can be very nice. The English consider them a classic. They will remain when checks fall out of popularity.

I have something similar if not exactly the same from Paris Shirts which is where this shirt is from. I included a pattern matching shot.

img09593dw2.jpg

img0960fv1.jpg

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Big Checked shirts are very popular in Spain and also in Italy.....
They look good with a pair of jeans ,chinos and you will get away wearing them with a suit...
The main downside ,as stated ,is the "blow-up effect" checked shirt can visually produce...
Striped shirts are in my view more versatile and easy to wear for any built in general...
I do prefer striped shirts but that's a personal view on a personal matter..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads