• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
This is very good.

It looks like Slew tried to fold his in a puff, which I would not recommend.

Thanks! I guess I often fold in the puff a bit just to keep it more subtle. I'm not a flamboyant pocket square guy by any means.

Originally Posted by maomao1980
PC154087.jpg

Nice. I do recall loving that. Glad to see you putting something up again.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UrbanComposition
I work in California, so keep that in mind. Thoughts?

I like everything except the pink. Just a color I'm not too into, but that's only personal preference. The big picture seems correct in my mind.

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
I like everything except the pink. Just a color I'm not too into, but that's only personal preference. The big picture seems correct in my mind.

Agreed. Pink tie = not conservative business dress. It's likewise well outside of the range of classic men's style, a somewhat less restrictive category than conservative business dress.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I politely disagree re: conservative business dress. You should see what some goobers put on in San Francisco. A solid pink tie is pretty tame. Also, I saw a slew of businessmen in London go crazy with pink ties and gingham shirts. Are they not conservative business dress, either?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by J. Cogburn
Agreed. Pink tie = not conservative business dress. It's likewise well outside of the range of classic men's style, a somewhat less restrictive category than conservative business dress.

I think you still do not understand the purpose of this thread. It's not a threat about absolute conservative business dress or conservative business dress on the Kelvin scale. Let's think of it more as conservative business dress relative to the current state of WAYWRN.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I work in California, so keep that in mind. Thoughts?

P1070118.jpg

Jacket is good, color and fabric are great, I would recommend a wider lapel.

I am not in love with tie and I can't quite pin down why. I think I would like it better if the coat were darker. I have a similar pinkish wool tie but its a shade darker and duller. By and large, light tie + dark coat or dark tie + light coat. Dark + dark also works (with a white or very pale shirt) but light + light is the hardest to make work.

I recommend a smaller knot. Assuming that is a FIH, then that tie must have very thick lining.

Would prefer to see a plain white or else dark silk square.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I politely disagree re: conservative business dress. You should see what some goobers put on in San Francisco. A solid pink tie is pretty tame. Also, I saw a slew of businessmen in London go crazy with pink ties and gingham shirts. Are they not conservative business dress, either?

I think you still do not understand the purpose of this thread. It's not a threat about absolute conservative business dress or conservative business dress on the Kelvin scale. Let's think of it more as conservative business dress relative to the current state of WAYWRN.

Good points!

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
Thanks! I guess I often fold in the puff a bit just to keep it more subtle. I'm not a flamboyant pocket square guy by any means.
Square fold.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jacket is good, color and fabric are great, I would recommend a wider lapel.

I am not in love with tie and I can't quite pin down why. I think I would like it better if the coat were darker. I have a similar pinkish wool tie but its a shade darker and duller. By and large, light tie + dark coat or dark tie + light coat. Dark + dark also works (with a white or very pale shirt) but light + light is the hardest to make work.

I recommend a smaller knot. Assuming that is a FIH, then that tie must have very thick lining.

Would prefer to see a plain white or else dark silk square.

Thanks, it's a FIH knot, pretty thick, and could've probably been tightened a bit. The jacket is a 3 roll 2.5, so it appears the lapels are narrow, but I feel if they were any wider it might look strange with such a high roll. The tie is relatively bold, so I thought it would stand out much less with a lighter grey.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a great tie. Fit of the coat looks a bit off.

I think the narrow guage of the stripes on the shirt and suit are too close. If you are going to shoot for three patterns, either one has to be almost imperceptible or else the scale of the two should be radically different.

For me, a two stripe ensemble almost demands a solid tie. This comes off as too many lines. When mixing three patterns, I would make the tie a dot or a neat of some kind.

Finally, if you are going to go more or less monochromatic with the main elements (nothing wrong with that), it's best to throw some color into the sqaure. Also, always silk with a woolen tie.

Thanks, Manton. I don't know what is going on there around the button. This suit has ample room in the chest. Maybe I need to adjust the button a bit. When I got the suit, the button was really loose, so my tailor had to re-sew it. It fit better before. I think he may have tweaked it out of line a bit.

Would you have gone with a solid shirt, or a shirt with a bolder stripe? Would this tie have worked better with a solid shirt?

What kind of colors would you have gone for in the square? I really quite rarely wear anything but a white linen. Mostly because finding decent squares around here is a challenge.

I appreciate the help,

Mike

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
Thanks, Manton. I don't know what is going on there around the button. This suit has ample room in the chest. Maybe I need to adjust the button a bit. When I got the suit, the button was really loose, so my tailor had to re-sew it. It fit better before. I think he may have tweaked it out of line a bit.

Would you have gone with a solid shirt, or a shirt with a bolder stripe? Would this tie have worked better with a solid shirt?

What kind of colors would you have gone for in the square? I really quite rarely wear anything but a white linen. Mostly because finding decent squares around here is a challenge.

I appreciate the help,

Mike

Like I said, I love that tie. I think I would not wear it with a striped or checked shirt. Maybe--maybe--a pencil stripe shirt with stripes that are so close that, if you were 20 feet away, it would look solid. Definitly not bolder stripes.

For the square, dark wine is an obvious choice. But lots of things would work. I don't have all that many squares, probably about ten silk, and between those I can always find one that works with something.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best MC thread in ages. Great to have you back, Manton.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like I said, I love that tie. I think I would not wear it with a striped or checked shirt. Maybe--maybe--a pencil stripe shirt with stripes that are so close that, if you were 20 feet away, it would look solid. Definitly not bolder stripes.

For the square, dark wine is an obvious choice. But lots of things would work. I don't have all that many squares, probably about ten silk, and between those I can always find one that works with something.

I need a wine colored square for sure. This tie is retired until fall. We are in full spring down here now.

I am going to NYC in a couple of weeks to defend a deposition. I am trying to decide what suit to take. Keep in mind that my office is not conservative business dress, I can wear whatever I want. However, in NYC I don't want to look like a rube and show up in something that is going to be out of place. I am trying to decide between the Isaia you have already seen and commented on, and these two suits.

Blooz1.JPG

Blooz2.JPG

BlueAttolini1.JPG

BlueAttolini2.JPG

Obviously, I am not going to wear light tan suede longwings. My main concern is that the first suit, the RLPL, is too bright of a blue. This is the suit I would prefer to wear as it is more comfortable than the second, a Sartorio by Attolini.

What is your opinion on the color of the first suit in a NYC law firm environment? For the record, I don't know if these guys are big time, or bottom dwellers.

Mike

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads