• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • The Uniform/LA Lennon Loose Fit jeans drop is now live! Check out both the light Palms and dark Lithium Both are made from premium Japanese right hand 3x1 denim in the USA,. Uniform/LA is know for premium materials and meticulous pattern making. Support a small business built on quality and integrity.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cashmere Sweater Hierarchy

msimon

Reaction score
I don't own any yet, but I've been interested in getting one of those cricket/tennis sweaters, which typically have cable patterns and 2-3 different colors around the neckline. Still not sure how easy they'd be to wear though.

As for chunky shawl collar cardigans, I like the slouchy feel of them, but I wear them exclusively at home. Not a fan of that look for going outside (yet -- probably I'm not old enough as Dorian said).
Only wear the cricket jumper if you have an estate, a dog and a green sports car if you know what I mean.:cool:

HotDilf

Reaction score
IMG_3542.jpg

epsilon22

Reaction score
Honestly I quite like PRL's cricket sweater with blue trim. Though I find it hard to swallow the $300 price tag for a 100% cotton sweater, and I don't like that "Polo" logo on the right sleeve.

1726597050131.png

The Merchant Fox has a similar one made in wool for GBP 175, but the cream/ecru looks a bit warmer. Could just be lighting though.

1726597243294.png

Johnny80

Reaction score
I usually wear IT50/UK42 size for William Lockie and M for Johnstons of Elgin, but I also have some knits in 48/40 and S.

For my shawl collar cardigans by McGeorge of Scotland I went for an IT48, for the one from Colhay's for a UK40/M.

Generally I wear IT50 for the most of Italian producers. more seldom 48 size.
Did your garment arrived?

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those with experience with Drumohr, do they tend to run big or small? Not sure if I should get a 46 or 48.

I have a turtleneck sweater in IT50 and a shawl collar cardigan in IT48.

Edit:
I would recommend to go with your usual size, unless you want to achieve a snugger fit (as I did for the shawl cardigan).

Last edited:

HotDilf

Reaction score
One of the contributing factors to the declining quality of cashmere fibres is the change in husbandry practices, which has been going on since the early 2000s.

Desertification means there's virtually no land suitable for grazing, so the goats are herded up and raised in pens which limit physical activity. Then they are fed an unnatural diet which cause them to fatten up - more surface area means more goat hair to harvest - and are cross-bred with other type of goats that produce more hairs. The result is a coarse fibre averaging 19, 20 microns or worse.

Capture d’écran, le 2024-09-19 à 08.00.10.png

Capture d’écran, le 2024-09-19 à 07.59.53.png

While cashmere fibres of inferior quality are used largely in mass market products, an increasing number of makers are now claiming they process the cashmere minimally (less milling and washing) to create that rough, raw cashmere feel, to mask and excuse the fact that the fibres are coarse to begin with (higher microns).

msimon

Reaction score
One of the contributing factors to the declining quality of cashmere fibres is the change in husbandry practices, which has been going on since the early 2000s.

Desertification means there's virtually no land suitable for grazing, so the goats are herded up and raised in pens which limit physical activity. Then they are fed an unnatural diet which cause them to fatten up - more surface area means more goat hair to harvest - and are cross-bred with other type of goats that produce more hairs. The result is a coarse fibre averaging 19, 20 microns or worse.

While cashmere fibres of inferior quality are used largely in mass market products, an increasing number of makers are now claiming they process the cashmere minimally (less milling and washing) to create that rough, raw cashmere feel, to mask and excuse the fact that the fibres are coarse to begin with (higher microns).

What's the reason being desertification?. Over grazing?.

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cineva592irh