• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Very close to getting a gen11 hybrid Accord; EX-L trim.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Per Superfast Matt's video, the raised cargo floor is for the hybrid's high-voltage battery, and it isn't there in the non-hybrid model.
Sure, but just like the 2WD 4R which makes no sense, only the base trims are configurable without the hybrid (and the third row). The TRD Pro and Trailhunters come with the hybrid exclusively. There were some strange concessions that had to be made - the second row seats don't fold flat any more, whether you have a 3rd row or not. Kind of annoying to the 4R loyalists who really use the car as it was intended.

I feel compelled to note that almost no one here should buy any of these Toyota trucks based on their actual usages of their cars. You’re all too old for cosplay.
One of the 4R's killer features continues to be the roll down rear window. I had a friend whose dogs loved jumping into the back through the open window and that was the only car she would ever buy. Of course, that was a few generations ago so I'm not sure whether she still has a dog who can get up that high. I could see it still being attractive to old people with dogs.

Generally agree that the 4R exists in a place where it's largely built and designed to be used and abused by outdoor enthusiasts who don't want something that will break, but is mostly used by preening suburbanites who've decided it's more on brand than Wranglers or trucks (or in 2024, "adventure wagons"). Average age of buyers is apparently 50. The reason both the LC and 4R make sense for Toyota is that they cater to different loyalists and market segments, even if they have a ton of overlap.

And to be clear, although most 4Rs (and wranglers and adventure wagons) are suburban toys, they are definitely the cars most likely to be used by the people who actually need them to do their thing.

I say that as someone who has always had more SUV than I need for a variety of reasons but I would be lying if I didn't say part of it had to do with having something "on brand." My first SUV was a body on frame American one, and a lot of people identified me with it, particularly as I kept it well past a normal holding period. Old friends still ask me if I have that thing. If I had gotten a pathfinder or 4R back then, I would probably be driving a 4R now instead of my GC. Well maybe, I still don't think the packaging makes sense on the 4R and even the hybrid gets worse fuel economy than my Jeep (and doesn't offer a 3rd row).

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thank god you can remove that black front lip. It looks ugly AF. I wish they did the TOYOTA script vs the logo.

Several versions will have the script.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure, but just like the 2WD 4R which makes no sense, only the base trims are configurable without the hybrid (and the third row). The TRD Pro and Trailhunters come with the hybrid exclusively. There were some strange concessions that had to be made - the second row seats don't fold flat any more, whether you have a 3rd row or not. Kind of annoying to the 4R loyalists who really use the car as it was intended.

One of the 4R's killer features continues to be the roll down rear window. I had a friend whose dogs loved jumping into the back through the open window and that was the only car she would ever buy. Of course, that was a few generations ago so I'm not sure whether she still has a dog who can get up that high. I could see it still being attractive to old people with dogs.

Generally agree that the 4R exists in a place where it's largely built and designed to be used and abused by outdoor enthusiasts who don't want something that will break, but is mostly used by preening suburbanites who've decided it's more on brand than Wranglers or trucks (or in 2024, "adventure wagons"). Average age of buyers is apparently 50. The reason both the LC and 4R make sense for Toyota is that they cater to different loyalists and market segments, even if they have a ton of overlap.

And to be clear, although most 4Rs (and wranglers and adventure wagons) are suburban toys, they are definitely the cars most likely to be used by the people who actually need them to do their thing.

I say that as someone who has always had more SUV than I need for a variety of reasons but I would be lying if I didn't say part of it had to do with having something "on brand." My first SUV was a body on frame American one, and a lot of people identified me with it, particularly as I kept it well past a normal holding period. Old friends still ask me if I have that thing. If I had gotten a pathfinder or 4R back then, I would probably be driving a 4R now instead of my GC. Well maybe, I still don't think the packaging makes sense on the 4R and even the hybrid gets worse fuel economy than my Jeep (and doesn't offer a 3rd row).
Realistically, the Rav4 Hybrid meets everything I need now but the thing is just so fvcking boring compared to the 4R or LC.

Several versions will have the script.
I know but those are the TRD Pro or the Trailhunter catering towards the outdoorsy adventure types. I'm never going overlanding with it so I'm at the Limited geared more towards city driving which has the stupid logo.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I feel compelled to note that almost no one here should buy any of these Toyota trucks based on their actual usages of their cars. You’re all too old for cosplay.
I’ve always wanted a 4Runner but it’s the last vehicle I really should be considering short of a motorcycle. NGL but this new one still brings back all those feels

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve always wanted a 4Runner but it’s the last vehicle I really should be considering short of a motorcycle. NGL but this new one still brings back all those feels
If you're going to LARP, you should do it with a verve that fits within your broader car portfolio.

In addition to the LARPer immaculate overlanders I mentioned a few weeks back, I've also started to see a few Ineos Grenadiers in Tahoe. I'm honestly not sure what to think about them yet. If they were reliable (powertrain is BMW B56 + ZF 8-speed, both good choices), they could be pretty interesting. I think I respect them more than G's since at least they have a more consistent ethos - eg they aren't pairing fake bull bars with summer tires. I get the appeal for people who don't like the new Defenders, but as I've said in the past, I also sort of get the appeal of the new Defender and respect what LR did with those.
4cc645062c704f37924749ef4fdf0c35

I think I even saw one Rezvani, which I think one can only purchase ironically.
i-r7p98Xw-4K.jpg

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you're going to LARP, you should do it with a verve that fits within your broader car portfolio.

In addition to the LARPer immaculate overlanders I mentioned a few weeks back, I've also started to see a few Ineos Grenadiers in Tahoe. I'm honestly not sure what to think about them yet. If they were reliable (powertrain is BMW B56 + ZF 8-speed, both good choices), they could be pretty interesting. I think I respect them more than G's since at least they have a more consistent ethos - eg they aren't pairing fake bull bars with summer tires. I get the appeal for people who don't like the new Defenders, but as I've said in the past, I also sort of get the appeal of the new Defender and respect what LR did with those.
4cc645062c704f37924749ef4fdf0c35
This looks ******* sick

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Same, but I already drive a car (Highlander) that handles everything I actually throw at it, and can fit the whole family in a pinch.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol, obviously. I'm never going off-roading or plan on hauling anything.
I rented a '23 Forerunner last year as I always liked them but had never driven one (recently). Given my driving mostly highway, I hated it (loud, terrible mileage, cheap interior and slow). The Forerunner felt like our old Wrangler. The following week I grabbed a new Highlander which was surprisingly pleasant for a crossover/car based vehicle.

Looking forward to trying the new LC one of these days.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads