• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a long tradition of vintage cars cruising the Colorado Boulevard Rose (Bowl) Parade route the day before. I just got back from my tour in my decidedly non-vintage BMW 435i.

What stunned me was noticing that 80% of the cruising vintage cars were from the very short period from the mid 50’s to just after 1970, maybe 17 years. There were almost no cruising cars from the last 50 years, save exotics.

The most popular car, by far, was the VW Bug, followed a ways back by 60’s Mustangs. Models were splintered thereafter.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just up for auction today. You can have one here in the US now too. 0.6 liters of bone crushing horsepower.

You'd be amazed how fast they can drive on rural mountain roads.

(although Honda seems to have cornered the market where I was recently)

1704095517977.png

1704095564401.png

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want to go down a rabbithole and you already know about the Jimny, look up kei "vans" (or cars, really) done up as camper conversion, esp with 4wd.

SharpMan

Reaction score
You read me like a book! Yes, I do have the same viewpoints about a lot of modern ICE cars as well. There's been a slow death of exciting cars, leaving very few left. The whole auto industry to me has been sad to watch as creativity, emotion, and passion has been swept away by the homogenized soulless, boring, appliance like cars/SUV's/trucks.

I was driving a short time ago and came to a stop light next to a Lamborghini SUV. A Lambo SUV! I rolled down my window as I always do next to a nice Italian car and listened to the engine. It had a nice, sweet hum to it, but it was attached to a huge monstrosity of an SUV body. It did nothing to me. It was so weird, looking at this brand new Lambo and feeling nothing. Were I to win this SUV for free, I'd just take it and sell it. Wouldn't even drive it. I rent an SUV when I take my son to and from his college dorm on move in/out days. I can't stand the experience. I'm visibly uncomfortable driving such a big vehicle. The gas consumption is amazingly poor.

I don't even like my 330i that much. I only got that for the wife. I'd have a 2 series BMW if it were up to me, or a Z4. Or maybe go back to driving a GTI. I've always been a hot hatch driver up until recently. This 330i is my first ever sedan. Again, the wife wants me to have a more "adult" car. I drive just shy of 40,000 miles a year so my view should have prevailed! Maybe next time.

Maybe I missed this but what car do you have that would be comfortable for 40K miles a year on and not be an appliance? The 2 buddies I have who drive a lot have an Audi A4 or big diesel truck as they haul for their business.

Jbarwick - likely to be a controversial comment, but I find Audi's to be very much an appliance (also, never owned by had use of several VAG group vehicles and my experience has been quite the opposite of the 'German quality' the motoring press seems to feel they showcase). BMW and Mercedes on the other hand, pretty good cars. Generally, if you want something more 'driver' oriented, BMW is the go to car (this obviously excludes Mercedes AMG cars). You want 'staesman' buy a Mercedes.

Now this other fellow mentioned a 2 series BMW. There is an M version (M2). I assume it will be the same in the US (where I am guessing you are located) - but this is what the M3 was. The current M3, as great as it is, feels 'bloated' to me. The M2 however, smaller, nimble, 3 litre inline 6 engine. I agree with regards to driving a manual, but the gear change in that car is pretty good for a paddle shift.

Z4 (another Beemer) is very nice - lovely proportions, great car. My friend drives one (M40) which is the 'M' version (you sense I am a little akward mentioning the M branding, as that used to be reserved for the performance oriented pinnacle of the range - now, M Sport is also a trim level). If you do not need the rear seats, or the full time roof, that would be an absolute hoot (and I think they are more attractively priced)

Out of these, my personal choice would be the M2, but that is because I generally prefer coupe's to soft tops (notable exceptions - the Jaguar E-type and early style Jaguar XK) and I 'think' long term, they will hold the value better. With the push to electric vehicles, if I were buying a new car today, I would be looking to keep it as long as possible so I could steer away from the push to battery power for a little while longer

SharpMan

Reaction score
I sort of lost the EV thread a little bit, but as I have touched on them in my reply, there are just a couple of thoughts. Now, call me a Boomer, Call me a Dinosaur but I much rather have a preference for traditionally powered ICE vehicles. Coming from experience of driving, and some time working with a car manufacturer.

The first point to note, I do not think that one 'power source' is better than all others. Here in the UK we had a push a few years ago to Diesel power (due to lower CO2). Prior to that, Unleaded petrol was the 'clean saviour' and Diesel was the dirty fuel which stoked the fires of hell. A few years ago, with VW and thier emissions cheating and we are back to 'dirty diesel'.

Now, we have electric cars. Being a dinosaur, let us not forget that electric vehicles 'were' available in the early 20th century (though ther history goes back further than that). So they are not a 'new' concept, just other technologies won out.

With today's electric cars (not so much Tesla, I do not think they have the finess of other brands) I love the performance (0-60 times on a regular family car in line with some sports cars of 20 years ago!), great handling (largely thanks to the heavy battery and its place under the floor) and (for those who are so inclined) provide a very hushed ride.

That is where my positives end. As an answer/replacement to ICE power, they lack soul, I am not totally convinced of thier environmnetal credentials nor thier longevity. Anyone with an iPhone will tell you that the battery, after a few years, will hold less 'electricity' than when it was new - and those will not last as long (pretty sure my fuel tank still holds as much petrol as it did when the car left the factory). You may think 'ah, that is fine as the manufactures provie a 10 year warranty on that'. Yes, they do, but read the small print - they accept something like 5% batery degredation per year (according to a formerly British, now chinese brand's dealership). Even if you did get a replacement battery, that has a huge environmental impact. Through clever marketing, you might think your VW, Porsche, Audi or Bentley has a 'German' battery, so will be manufactured to cleaner standards and not have traveled half way around the world... Think again.

This forum (in general) does a good job of making the point that everything has it's place (I read another thread about Barbours being worn in cities etc). How about applying the same logic to cars. If you are going long, motorway (or in the US - Highway) trips a diesel will suit you well and meet your needs (and use less fuel, thus be more economic and environmental). You do some zipping around villages and such, a small petrol car will work well for you. Cruising across continents, get a big V8 / V12 which will bearly have to work to hold you at cruising speed across long distances.

Electric cars - very at home in a few places. Slot car tracks for example being one, but joking aside, in cities where smog and pollution are a key issue. The only 'slight' contradiction in thier use as 'city' cars is the preference to have a drive to charge them, but that is more an issue with city planners, and when they do fail, they have more complex processes to make them safe again (put out a petrol car fire, it kind of stays out - a battery goes up, it an rupture cells and reignite later. for example) which tend to necessitate space - again more an issue for the city planner than the car manufacturer or driver.

Do I resist change - possibly, however I like to feel I embrace change when it has a clear benefit. My car is old (a whole other topic, but I firmly believe keeping cars running longer, thus saving the environmental impact of building new cars is possibly a great, eco friendly, approach to motoring) but that is not because I resist change, it is because it does what I need it to do and does it reasonably well (and I very much like my car).

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
One of these (same gray and red) passed me on 101 on my way home this evening. It was so incongruous among all of the regular cars. The driver didn’t treat us to any exhaust entertainment, though, so I was disappointed.
IMG_6991.jpeg

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stopped reading Jalopnik a few years ago. Worth reading is just click-baity these days?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aeternum