• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Trying these new puppies out at home. Is this much gap considered okay and normal for RTW shoes? They feel comfortable. How much will they give over time to perhaps reduce the lacing gap?

I'd rather have some gap after they have been broken in than for them to be fully closed.

Gabru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@clarksdb,

yeah that gap is too much even for new shoes. I bet as they break in, the gap will close in to some extent but that won't be enough. Here is a pic of my well broken in pair ( non carmina) but to me this is a nice gap without getting completely closed.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ Strands looking boss...

jamie411

Reaction score
In my experience, once broken in they were only about 1/4" closer than they started. For me that makes the gap less than 1/2" and I'm fine with that.

@clarksdb. Those look too narrow or you have too high an instep. You either need a wider last or a wide size.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks gents. I guess they will be going back. The store only does exchanges and they dont have a black cap toe in Rain.

So I will try on the C&J Belgrave which they have in black.

Last edited:

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am cursed with an absurdly high instep, and I find the Simpson last pretty okay.

I seem to recall reading that it's actually very similar to the Rain, but more tapered in the toe. By my estimate, they are a little narrower in the heel too.

Assuming you get the right size/width, I think that the tapered toe is actually better for a high instep, as it means less excess leather over the forefoot which will crease up badly.

Before you return those beauties, try doing the laces with a 'bar' lacing method (Google it). That will make a surprisingly big difference.

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone share how they break-in if they have a high instep? I find it really difficult to break in my forest last cap toe I got from Skoaktiebolaget.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am cursed with an absurdly high instep, and I find the Simpson last pretty okay.

I seem to recall reading that it's actually very similar to the Rain, but more tapered in the toe. By my estimate, they are a little narrower in the heel too.

Assuming you get the right size/width, I think that the tapered toe is actually better for a high instep, as it means less excess leather over the forefoot which will crease up badly.

Before you return those beauties, try doing the laces with a 'bar' lacing method (Google it). That will make a surprisingly big difference.

Thanks, i will try that. Though I thought they are already bar laced?

For reference though this is how the Rain last fits after only a couple wears on me. Definitely can tell the last works better than Simpson for me, unfortunately. That too the Rain is a half size smaller.

Last edited:

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone could explain me why Carmina secondary market is full of shoes near or above € retail price?
Is carmina market/request so strong?

I'm searchig a string loafer since a long time but never found a decent price (already covered with various C&J suede loafers so I would not invest much money)

Thanks

Last edited:

Southeasterly

Reaction score
I'd proudly wear those to a wedding or an interview. You don't want to work in an organization that is so conformist as to disqualify a candidate for wearing shoes that are too badass.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads