• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Burgundy she'll chukkas today. These are giving me a painful break in, but they're so purrrdy it's worth it...

They look great! Why are they giving you a painful break in?

FatCatPhil

Reaction score
I have finally received my november-offer MTO only to find out I got the dreaded V version of the jodhpurs which was definitely not the advertised model.

Not only do I find it aesthetically displeasing but the V also orientates the creases in a weird way, see how they shape up after only 3 steps:

I will contact them on monday hoping they'll take them back and deliver what I ordered.
So I contacted Carmina about this and they got back to me:

- They currently have a shortage of hands given the success of their MTO option, current lead time is 60 days.
- They just hired a new person to answer the email backlog
- The cordovan jodhpurs and chelsea will now all feature the V seam, they had too many cracks/tears.
- They are offering me either a refund, another MTO, exchange for a in-store shoe or a partial refund if I keep the shoes. I'm not sure which option to pick since I really wanted this style + cordovan, its a real bummer.

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, my dude. Detroit is my OneLast to rule them all, as far as Carmina is concerned.

Reaction score

Honestly speaking, i feel that for the better good of Carmina's business they should halt all sales and production of jodhpurs, chelseas and any other item featuring the V-seam. Until they have figured a solution.

Its just awful!!

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They look great! Why are they giving you a painful break in?

Sorry, just saw this.

I find Carnina cordovan shoes to be significantly more stiff and thick than those of other makers out of the box.

(hehe, hey beavis...)

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So I contacted Carmina about this and they got back to me:

- They currently have a shortage of hands given the success of their MTO option, current lead time is 60 days.
- They just hired a new person to answer the email backlog
- The cordovan jodhpurs and chelsea will now all feature the V seam, they had too many cracks/tears.
- They are offering me either a refund, another MTO, exchange for a in-store shoe or a partial refund if I keep the shoes. I'm not sure which option to pick since I really wanted this style + cordovan, its a real bummer.

Bummer to hear. I don't really know of any rtw makers that make shell jodhpurs / chelseas due to shell cracking. I have a G&G pair but I would assume pricing would be double or triple if they are willing to make it.

saurabh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bummer to hear. I don't really know of any rtw makers that make shell jodhpurs / chelseas due to shell cracking. I have a G&G pair but I would assume pricing would be double or triple if they are willing to make it.

I have checked with G&G recently as well and they won't work with shell anymore.
No one is making the shell Jodhpurs/chelsea boots except carmina but it's a bad news that Carmina now is having trouble manufacturing wholecut chelsea/jodhpur Boots.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, just saw this.

I find Carnina cordovan shoes to be significantly more stiff and thick than those of other makers out of the box.

(hehe, hey beavis...)

Personally this is why I am not buying any more shoes from Carmina. Their lasts don't fit my feet well at all, and their shoes are brutally stiff. When they are on the top of their game, they are hard to beat, but compared to EG (and even Alden), the comfort is not there for me, sadly.

bm93

Reaction score
For anyone interested, I've put together a GMTO for Carmina loden suede jodhpurs on Reddit.

Ordering link here

Specifications
  • Style: Jodhpur Boot 80106
  • Last: Rain [widths available: D, EE (standard), EEE]
  • Vamp: Loden suede
  • Strap: Loden suede
  • Lining: Green
  • Sole: Single Tomir sole
  • Sole edge: Dark brown
This model with a tomir sole:

Last edited:

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't seem to find any site that carries this model. It is the 80105-009 model in black on the Simpson last. I wouldn't even mind this same model on the rain last.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello all - at the risk of being that guy, I'd like to ask for your input on a pair I just got. Background is that I have one other pair of carminas - shell jumpers in the oscar last - and they are immaculate.
I recently ordered a pair of double monkstraps in cognac cordovan. These are in the Inca - I took an educated gamble on the last bit it worked out - the shoes actually fit very well.
However, the finishing of the shoes leaves a bit to be desired. The coloring is inconsistent, even within panels - it looks like the color was brushed on rather than dyed. There are a couple of smaller issues (tiny divot in left toe cap, glue or excess dye along seams), but the finish color is what makes me pause.

The light/dark lines shown in the third and fourth photos are not shadows; there is an abrupt contrast in the shell on the strap piece (?) of both shoes.

Here's where I'd like some sage advice:
1. Can the color be evened out with cordovan creme? If so, what color/brand?
2. Is this level of finishing typical of carmina? A search on SF suggests this may be the case but is inconclusive.
3. Have any of y'all been in a similar situation, and if so what did you do? Were you ultimately happy with the decision? I'm mostly windering if I will regret it if I keep them.

I'm leaning toward keeping them - I got them from carmina for a spectacular price - but the finishing of the shoes makes me think the price was closer to correct than I initially thought.

Many thanks!

insy

Reaction score
I had the same issue with my Norwegian. Betty offered a refund if they are unused or to dye them again. I honestly don't understand how they can ship such shoes, there is clearly no quality control.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's where I'd like some sage advice:
1. Can the color be evened out with cordovan creme? If so, what color/brand?
2. Is this level of finishing typical of carmina? A search on SF suggests this may be the case but is inconclusive.
3. Have any of y'all been in a similar situation, and if so what did you do? Were you ultimately happy with the decision? I'm mostly windering if I will regret it if I keep them.

I'm leaning toward keeping them - I got them from carmina for a spectacular price - but the finishing of the shoes makes me think the price was closer to correct than I initially thought.

Many thanks!

1. I wouldn't count on it. These types of corrective measures never seem to work well in practice, despite seeming plausible in theory.
2. Nothing is typical with Carmina. They are best characterized as "inconsistent"
3. I have not, personally. However, I can certainly appreciate your dilemma.

I'm leaning toward "reject", but that's easy for me to say as a third-party, and I also don't like monk straps.

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen lighter shells from different makers that have this "feature." Two of my PTBs (Alden whiskey and Carmina cognac). I think it's more of a naturally occurring artifact in the leather. pristine shells are harder to come by now. In the past, Hirween would have died streaky ones black or color 8, but there is so much demand now that they have to fill lighter color orders with less than perfect butts. Ideally these sort of pieces would have been used in less visible parts of the shoe, though.

Personally, I would keep them, especially at a good discount.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads