• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

andrel42

Reaction score
sucks for sure, but in the scheme of things, not very much at all. Up in the great white north if we get dinged, it's 18% duty plus taxes. For the jumpers it would have been like $180
eek.gif

Same in Switzerland (non-EU) where you can get hit with at least 15% on top of the goods + postage (?) fees 100% of the time !

zonda600

Reaction score
I just received a duties bill from Fed-Ex in the amount of $26 after buying those jumper boots directly from Carmina. This is the first time I've received a bill and I've purchased two shoes directly from Carmina and one from Meermin.
Same amount for me, except I returned mine for an exchange.

Has anyone had to deal with FedEx and getting the duties fees waived due to a return? I'm going to call tonight, but if anyone has insight, I'd a

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I just received a duties bill from Fed-Ex in the amount of $26 after buying those jumper boots directly from Carmina.  This is the first time I've received a bill and I've purchased two shoes directly from Carmina and one from Meermin.

^^definitely annoying, and I wouldn't be thrilled myself, but I'd be a little relieved that's all it was.  I think you got off pretty easily!

Still a lot less than paying EU VAT (tax) for 20-25% as all EU residents (rate depends on country).

golfinz

Reaction score
^Yep, true. I'm not upset about it, I just wanted to give members a heads up about it. They don't seem to be very consistent, which is strange to me.

I've got another pair coming from the Paris store so it'll be interesting to see if I get hit again.

MickeyPunch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People complaining about $26 in customs fees for some boots, how cute. :)

You don't know what customs hell is unless you live in Spain. See my story here. Long story short, I was hit with a €187 fee for some boots from Japan with a declared value of €360. That's right, over 50% in customs fees.

Last edited:

forbritisheyes

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Fellas,
Have any of you guys ever sent your Carmina shoes to B Nelson? Does he make the edge of the welt look the same as it was when you bought it brand new?

If not, who do you send your shoes to for recrafting and resoling?

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fellas,
Have any of you guys ever sent your Carmina shoes to B Nelson? Does he make the edge of the welt look the same as it was when you bought it brand new?

If not, who do you send your shoes to for recrafting and resoling?

If you actually mean the sole edge dressing, then yes, anyone can do that.

If you really do mean the welt, then he probably won't replace it for the first resole so you will still have the original welt. If he does replace it, he can do so with the color of your choice.

Any of the above is pretty routine work for any competent cobbler.

At least with my Carminas, the sole is trimmed so close to the upper that the welt isn't that visible/noticeable.

Last edited:

forbritisheyes

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If you actually mean the sole edge dressing, then yes, anyone can do that.

If you really do mean the welt, then he probably won't replace it for the first resole so you will still have the original welt. If he does replace it, he can do so with the color of your choice.

Any of the above is pretty routine work for any competent cobbler.

At least with my Carminas, the sole is trimmed so close to the upper that the welt isn't that visible/noticeable.
Hi Bakes, thanks for responding so quickly. Yup, I meant does he restore the sole edge dressing just the way the shoes come to us brand new. I like how the edge of the waist area is curved in a convex manner - not square like those on AE and Alden shoes. I just want to know if he does it exactly like that and if I need to request it or he does it automatically: does he?

Last edited:

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Bakes, thanks for responding so quickly. Yup, I meant does he restore the sole edge dressing just the way the shoes come to us brand new. I like how the edge of the waist area is curved in a convex manner - not square like those on AE and Alden shoes. I just want to know if he does it exactly like that and if I need to request it or he does it automatically: does he?

I know exactly what you mean, but I'm not sure whether or not he does that. That has to do with how the sole is trimmed.

forbritisheyes

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The venerable wingtip...

I have the same ones in burgundy. Beautiful, beautiful color the both of them. I notice your creases mirror each other whereas mine do not. Curse my funnily shaped feet :[ Also, you have very high/large arches. I have to have inserts AND tongue pads just to fill out the shoe and my left shoe is almost entirely closed. Oh well......I'm just glad I have feet that work and ones that fit into shoes in the first place.

IGotId

Reaction score
PM me if interested in a pair of Cognac Shell Detroit LWBs in 8.5 at cost. I'm going to send these back to Spain in a few days if no one's interested. Thanks.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads