• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NewYawker

Reaction score
What was crazy to me was when I ordered a pair of Carmina monk straps from leather foot. UPS hit me up for $95 - not duties or taxes but some bullshit "processing and handling" type charge. What's crazy is they expect the money at delivery. I had to write a check while the dude is awkwardly standing there. At least with fedex I haven't really paid more than $30 in duties charges. USPS never paid anything.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Carmina Women's Bal Boot

MDeKelver

Reaction score
1 in 100 is a great percentage, so less than $1 per delivery.
Up in the great white north, Canpost is around 30% getting dinged. And our shoe duty rate is 18% I believe, as I haven't had
any shoes delivered to me yet from overseas.
Never any pattern or rhythm or reason, sometimes you get hit, but most times not for duty or taxes.
I've had shoes delivered from Northhampton, no duties. From the US, I get hit. I haven't ordered from Sweden, not sure. I had a Tom Ford suit come from the Netherlands without a penny of tax via the post.

So, the'll add the duty plus the taxes (HST) for the province in which you reside. Still, beats the hell out of the UPS $50 brokerage fee.

unipair guy

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Reaction score
sorry I'm new to this forum so not sure how to link previous correspondance to this post, but my initial post was : http://www.styleforum.net/t/241469/carmina-shoes-reviews-sizing-photos-and-more/10485#post_7607266

Thank you everyone for your comments :)

I ended up buying the Carmina Wholecut in black calf...

They arrived and are beautiful shoes. Unfortunately they seemed to be half a size too small so I contacted the retailer who was happy to exchange for the next half size up.

I purchased through Skoaktiebolaget... this is my first purchase via this reseller, but due to the great service I am sure it will not be my last.

I discussed the sizing issue, and provided a photo of the ill-fitting shoes with my foot inside. They suggested the correct size and were happy to arrange an exchange.

When I first placed order, I received the shoes within a week, which is exceptional considering they were shipped from Sweden to Australia . And communication has been efficient, friendly and timely.

I also picked up a wholecut in chestnut via Herringshoes. They have some brogueing/detail which differs from the simple style of the Carmina and was lucky to find them on special, as they only had one size and I was lucky for it to be my size.

These are my first wholecut shoes, and admittedly I haven't had the time to evaluate them long term for fit/quality etc, but I must say that I do find the wholecut a fine looking shoe. For my inexperienced eye, I feel the Carmina appears to be of a slightly higher quality/finish, but I could be wrong, as I do not have expertise in shoe making/evaluation.

Thanks again to all who offered their thoughts and suggestions :) It did help my decision making process.

Last edited:
Reaction score
p.s I also found Herringshoes service to be great, The ordering process was easy and the shoes arrived fast. I cannot comment regarding exchanges etc as the shoes fitted as expected. They also included a shoe horn and shoe polish to match. Both shoes came well packaged and with protective shoe bags to store them in.

Reaction score
Now... what to get next? I have a pair of Carmina workwear shoes on backorder from Skoaktiebolaget but will be a month or so before they are available. I will now have the Carmina wholecut, workwear and a pair of chestnut wholecut. I already have 2 pairs of RM Williams in Chestnut, one is the Dynamic Flex comfort Crafstman and the other the RM Williams signature boot also in Chestnut. What else should a gentleman have in his stable? (not counting sneakers etc). I was thinking of a semi-casual shoe/boot to suit jeans or casual trousers. Casually I do not wear black shoes.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well you certainly have chestnut covered. Something in suede, or coloured calf. Chocolate suede, noix suede, burgundy calf, navy calf?

Any boot, chukka, shoe with broguing, or double monk would fit the bill IMO.

Reaction score
Well you certainly have chestnut covered. Something in suede, or coloured calf. Chocolate suede, noix suede, burgundy calf, navy calf?

Any boot, chukka, shoe with broguing, or double monk would fit the bill IMO.

Thanks,

I have been considering a chukka boot, but not sure what colour or texture. Typically regarding pants I wear jeans or beige/camel trousers with a darker blue jacket. I have deep blue eyes so my female friends have often commented that a blue shirt or jacket make my eyes "pop" (in a good way). I have been thinking of branching out and trying navy trousers, but navy trousers are hard to match with a jacket (I'm fair skinned and light coloured jackets seem to wash-out against my complection. And I find that Navy trousers are hard to pair with darker jackets, but I admittedly don't have much experience with the potential matches for jackets that may suit.

Reaction score
Anyone own Inca and Simpson lasts and possibly comment on their similarities? I was going to order http://www.skoaktiebolaget.se/collections/uk-8-5/products/carmina-modern-classic-in-brown on the Simpson last, but I only have Inca right now. Wondering if I will be okay on the same size.
When trying on various Carmina shoes, I did find the simpson last to be far more narrow than the others I tried. I don't have so much of a wide foot but more of a high arch. I didn't have a chance of fitting the simpson but the rain last was great for my foot shape. I cannot comment on the Inca last sorry.

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

IGotId

Reaction score

There looks likes there is a GMTO through Gentleman's Footwear going on with a similar make up.

I would be in for a suede version.

I've expressed interest in the GF GMTO, apparently we need 3 more people if anyone's interested.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albertd