• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Carl Sagan

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
That was Cosmos. I think it's a 13-part series, so clearly you didn't give it any time.
How much time should I give it before I determine it's crap? I think the first episode was plenty enough to realize that. It's from like 1979, and it shows. There's so much better stuff available now.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt
How much time should I give it before I determine it's crap? I think the first episode was plenty enough to realize that. It's from like 1979, and it shows. There's so much better stuff available now.
Actually, the episodes have stood the test of time quite nicely because much of the science is basic biology, astrophysics, etc. I have been watching an edition that was updated in the mid-90s; Sagan appears at the end of each episode and talks about advances made since the production of the series. Those appearances are rare and short.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Drake Equation lolz

Multiply the result of the Drake equation with an average number of inhbitants per civilization, and then multiply that by the contant fs (percentage of the population that are soporific douchebags), and then multiply that by the constant fv (percentage of the population that have irritating voices), and again by contant fe (percentage of the population that have unruly eyebrow hair), we can determine that there are 6.46747*10^942345 Carl Sagans in this galaxy alone.

If you multiply that by fn (percentage of the population that are nerdy enough to idolize Carl Sagan), we can determine that there are also 4.34579345**10^942352 Connes in the Milky Way.

Absolutely chilling.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
... I have been watching an edition that was updated in the mid-90s;

The edition I saw was available for streaming on netflix. I didn't think much of it. I've heard Nova's 'Universe' is incredible. I haven't seen it though. Maybe I'll give the updated edition of 'Cosmos' a try. I must say, however, the thing that grabbed my attention the most in the edition I saw was his corduroy jacket.
smile.gif

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oman
yeah sagan was great, and anyone who doesn't enjoy cosmos is probably a bit of a 'tard

also, you guys should check out his excellent essay on his experiences smoking marijuana:

I remember that episode of Cosmos well... "Duude. What if, like, the entire universe is just, like, this giant atom or something. Trippy, maaaan!"

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Carl Sagan looks and acts like the muppet version of Mr Rogers when you are high.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah sagan was great, and anyone who doesn't enjoy cosmos is probably a bit of a 'tard

also, you guys should check out his excellent essay on his experiences smoking marijuana:

http://www.marijuana-uses.com/essays/002.html

I'm a 'tard because I don't like some dated show with very poor visual effects? Sure, the discussion may be interesting, but even as Conne alluded, so much more has been discovered and is known now (e.g. Hubble images). I would rather watch something that inspires me visually and offers current information than something that looks closer to the original Star Trek. I'm not saying it isn't a great show, or particularly brilliant in its day, but there's better stuff out there on this topic, and that's what I'd rather spend my time watching. It's not Doctor Who for ****'s sake. But hey, you guys are cool 'cause you like ****** production, and I'm a 'tard because I don't. Ok.
confused.gif

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt
I'm a 'tard because I don't like some dated show with very poor visual effects?

yeah pretty much

most of the show wasn't even hubble pictures anyway, it was more about history, people, and concepts - like the engineer democritus, the great library of alexandria, that kind of thing

quite frankly i look down on people like you who think visual effects are a prerequisite for greatness, because for you, greatness only lasts until the next proprietary sony format - or hddvdvd whatsit - comes out

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah pretty much

most of the show wasn't even hubble pictures anyway, it was more about history, people, and concepts - like the engineer democritus, the great library of alexandria, that kind of thing

quite frankly i look down on people like you who think visual effects are a prerequisite for greatness, because for you, greatness only lasts until the next proprietary sony format - or hddvdvd whatsit - comes out

You couldn't be more wrong. But that's ok. I wouldn't want to upset your narrow view. As I said before, I saw that episode (about Alexandria). It was interesting, sort of. But I'd frankly rather read a book about that stuff. If I'm going to watch a show called Cosmos about the universe, replete with visuals of the universe, I'm definitely going to watch something more recent and inspiring than Cosmos. If I want to hear what Sagan has to say about ****, I'll read him, which is what I've done. That's a great article you posted, btw. But, don't let my candidness keep you from your hating.

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
im half joking dont worry

you did actually go out of your way to make sure that i knew you werent denying that it was great

besides, it's been so long since ive seen the show anyway that for all i know, it may not have been great

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
im half joking dont worry

you did actually go out of your way to make sure that i knew you werent denying that it was great

besides, it's been so long since ive seen the show anyway that for all i know, it may not have been great

Then why am I getting assfucked here?
tongue.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads