• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cape Cod Vacation

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
uhoh.gif

uhoh.gif

- B

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
How far are the various towns and beaches from one another by car? Is it easy to get around once there if I do have a vehicle?

Also, I note that the drive up I-95 looks like it hugs the coast (I've never driven this route before, at least not in years and years). Are there any good places to stop along the way, roughly halfway between NY and the Cape?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
How far are the various towns and beaches from one another by car? Is it easy to get around once there if I do have a vehicle?

Also, I note that the drive up I-95 looks like it hugs the coast (I've never driven this route before, at least not in years and years). Are there any good places to stop along the way, roughly halfway between NY and the Cape?

Wife-friendly:

Enroute: http://www.innatmystic.com/

Mid-Cape: http://www.chathambarsinn.com/

P-town: http://www.crownepointe.com/

- B

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks, Bill. I should have figured you'd have all the most exclusive places staked out.

I was thinking of stopping more for the day for a few hours. If we do it, we'll go up in two 4-5 hour spurts, stopping overnight in NYC. We've got the little tyke to be concerned about, and wife refuses to lock her in the car for that long a stretch at a time. So the hope is to break each stretch in half and have drive time coincide as much as possible with nap time.

I think she's being ridiculous, but the kid does hate the car and I won't be the one sitting in back trying to divert her attention.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I was thinking of stopping more for the day for a few hours.

You can keep to the coast and stop in Newport. Should be about three and half hours from NYC, if the traffic isn't horrible. You could have lunch at the Spiced Pear, and if you two want to stretch your legs carrying the tyke, you could do part of the Cliff Walk and maybe visit The Breakers.

- B

Agnacious

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
You can keep to the coast and stop in Newport. Should be about three and half hours from NYC, if the traffic isn't horrible. You could have lunch at the Spiced Pear, and if you two want to stretch your legs carrying the tyke, you could do part of the Cliff Walk and maybe visit The Breakers.

- B

Rosecliff was always my favorite (no fancy link), but the point stands that the cliff walk and mansion tour can be fun for adults. As an aside, my Grandmother was about to buy the Marble house back when it was considered a white elephant, but a family emergency kept her from going and the Newport preservation soc. grabbed it. Til her death, no one could mention the marble house. I went on a tour and found it to be disgustingly garish.

But whoever said Orleans on the Cape echoed the sentiment of my aged memories of where I would go.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
thanks for the great suggestions. just the kind of thing i was looking for.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I was thinking about it but decided to skip yours and kunk's little **** bash. wouldn't want to interruptus the coitus.

Actually, srsly, we're considering the week after Labor Day. I hear September at the Cape is amazing.

Can't swing the Chatham Bars - Way too pricey for me, especially this year (house project).

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
september and october is a great time to go IMO

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
will-ferrell-20080228034343217.jpg

[Will Ferrell as Harry Caray]
If you have a house in Sandwich, how hard would it be to eat yourself out of house and home?
[/Will Ferrell as Harry Caray]

Awesome.

NH_Clark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
september and october is a great time to go IMO

+1 .. last week in Aug is good too. You want to time it right to miss the greenhead season.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Can't swing the Chatham Bars - Way too pricey for me, especially this year (house project).

If you like the idea of Chatham, I've had friends who have stayed at this place and liked it:

http://www.pleasantbayvillage.com/

If you want something beachy and inexpensive, but near Ptown for restaurants etc., I've heard good things about:

http://www.sandbars.com/

- B

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Better go while the gettin's good!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/18/us...me&ref=general

NITROGEN-1-articleLarge.jpg

ORLEANS, Mass. "” Rising nitrogen levels are suffocating the vegetation and marine life in saltwater ponds and estuaries on Cape Cod, creating an environmental and infrastructure problem that, if left unchecked, will threaten the shellfishing industry, the tourist economy and the beaches that lure so many summer visitors.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads