• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canons (London) bespoke shoes

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crikey.
When I first had mine made (ca 2009), they were priced at 2,200 GBP or so...
Thank you for the information.
2200 pounds to present isn’t terrible in terms of keeping up with inflation though. Stuff has roughly double in the past 15 years.

2200 pounds sounds good haha. If only we could get those prices now. Seems like cannons is all aboard the free shoes program (im guessing - I highly doubt Kirby paid for the shoes, but I could be wrong).

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Simply stunning.

Screenshot (1184).png

jazznpool

Reaction score
For one thing, all of Foster's customer lasts stayed with Canon. For another, I doubt I could afford bespoke shoes now. How much would Canon and Emiko Matsuda charge? Does anyone know?
Emiko Matsuda's current pricing starts at:
GBP 4200 +VAT with bespoke hinged shoe trees (5,300USD)

GBP 4400 +VAT with bespoke 3-piece shoe trees

Frog in Suit

Reaction score
Emiko Matsuda's current pricing starts at:
GBP 4200 +VAT with bespoke hinged shoe trees (5,300USD)

GBP 4400 +VAT with bespoke 3-piece shoe trees
Thank you.
Let it be a lesson for the younger generation: buy bespoke (suits, shirts, shoes...) as soon as you can because if you wait too long, you won't be able to afford it. I have enough suits for most occasion (no white tie, no smoking jacket, but pretty much all other "needs" covered), many bespoke shirts and five pair of bespoke shoes. I take good care of them so they will likely survive me...

epsilon22

Reaction score
Thank you.
Let it be a lesson for the younger generation: buy bespoke (suits, shirts, shoes...) as soon as you can because if you wait too long, you won't be able to afford it. I have enough suits for most occasion (no white tie, no smoking jacket, but pretty much all other "needs" covered), many bespoke shirts and five pair of bespoke shoes. I take good care of them so they will likely survive me...
Good advice for those not saddled with 6-figure student loans and living in places where decent homes cost 10x their annual salary.

Frog in Suit

Reaction score
Good advice for those not saddled with 6-figure student loans and living in places where decent homes cost 10x their annual salary.
True, I suppose. I had school loans but started buying (in GBP) with a USD income at a time when the exchange rate was very favourable. Also, I did not go to Hunstman or other big names (Tom Brown, in Eton, at first). My DB dinner suit cost 800 quid. Even in London, a Savile Row (in the general area of...) bespoke suit cost less than a thousand pounds. A three-piece, nowadays, must easily exceed 5K GBP. I wonder how this compares with general inflation...

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you.
I think the even bigger issue is that when you get older, you have more responsibilities (wife, kids, etc.) and thus less disposable income

Frog in Suit

Reaction score
I think the even bigger issue is that when you get older, you have more responsibilities (wife, kids, etc.) and thus less disposable income
True indeed. I started when single, stopped when the children were small, then restarted after a fourteen- or fifteen-year hiatus, with a different tailor. Prices had more than doubled by then (but difficult to say for sure, because different shop); then doubled again, roughly, in the next ten or twelve years (same tailor). I then decided I did not need any new clothes...(!)

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True indeed. I started when single, stopped when the children were small, then restarted after a fourteen- or fifteen-year hiatus, with a different tailor. Prices had more than doubled by then (but difficult to say for sure, because different shop); then doubled again, roughly, in the next ten or twelve years (same tailor). I then decided I did not need any new clothes...(!)
but the real trick is, how did you keep your body the same throughout the years?

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
When I first had mine made (ca 2009), they were priced at 2,200 GBP or so...
Here are a few historical prices for shoes, bespoke and premium ready-to-wear.
Source is an article in the 'Financial Times' from about 1998.

Bespoke shoes:
Jason Amesbury £1000
GJ Cleverley & Co £1000
Foster & Son £1110
John Lobb (London) £1490 (without VAT)
Poulsen Skone (New & Lingwood) £1050

Ready-to-wear shoes:
GJ Cleverley & Co £225 - £265
Foster & Son £195 - £450
Tricker's £195 - £210
Church's £160 - £275
Crockett & Jones £180 - £250
Edward Green £365 - £425
John Lobb (Paris) £385 - £420
Wildsmith & Co £250 - £450

(Apart from Lobb (London), I would presume all other prices to include VAT.)

epsilon22

Reaction score
True, I suppose. I had school loans but started buying (in GBP) with a USD income at a time when the exchange rate was very favourable. Also, I did not go to Hunstman or other big names (Tom Brown, in Eton, at first). My DB dinner suit cost 800 quid. Even in London, a Savile Row (in the general area of...) bespoke suit cost less than a thousand pounds. A three-piece, nowadays, must easily exceed 5K GBP. I wonder how this compares with general inflation...
The ones that maintain storefronts on expensive streets will have to pass on the rent costs to the customers, rent has probably outpaced general inflation in most big cities. Probably one reason why many independent makers have their workshops at home or at less expensive places.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Chipp MTM nailhead worsted two piece suit from 1987 cost $ 650.
Using an online inflation caculator that would be $1760 today.
I recently bought a tweed sport coat MTM fron the Andover Shop.
It ran about $1800. I didn't pay attention to the type or cost of
the fabric, except that I loved it .

Last edited:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2200 pounds to present isn’t terrible in terms of keeping up with inflation though. Stuff has roughly double in the past 15 years.
Pricing has kept up with inflation but income hasn't for most people. I know I've been pretty lucky to significantly increase my salary through promotions and job switches but not everyone gets lucky like that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads