• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can I pull off the Tom Cruise hair look?

kiranr

Reaction score
I want a shorter haircut, but not too short. Just enough to make me look a little older. Here's me now:
lJ6cE6A.jpg

Here's what I want. Think I can pull it off?
uTKgVPA.jpg

aR5YsRL.jpg

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes. Pls post "after" flicks.

AndrewDoesHair

Reaction score
I would have tried to talk you into cutting the sides slightly shorter than Tom's.

Your hair is thick and has a tendency to get puffy, while Tom's is fine and lays down nicely. So If you get Tom's exact haircut (looks like you did) then your hair won't react the same way his does. Your hair will want to stand up at a length that his would want to lay down.

So IMO, the best option is to cut the sides shorter, so that they can stand up all they want, while still filling in a pleasing shape (see Joseph Gordon Levit's hair in the GQ photo shoot).

You would also want to style your hair back more. The hair flopping into your face is reminiscent of Howard Wolowitz- this is a huge part of the reason you don't look like Tom. When your hair is freshly washed, blow dry it all back, one small bit at a time (part the front of your hair straight over so it lays flat and out of your way, then take a little at a time from the back of your head and blow dry it back until each section is totally dry). Pull it tight and straight with the brush while you do this. The heat smooths out the cuticle layer of your hair, and makes your hair pliable, while the brush pulls it straight, so it's not so wavy anymore. It'll be kind of puffy after this. Then apply Redken Rough Paste, sparingly, to your hair. This stuff is like instant grime.

See, dirty hair lays smoothly and isn't puffy (ask your mom/girlfriend, women already know this). So after you go through that routine I described above, don't wash your hair that night. Still shower, just don't wash it. Next day, when you have gnarly bed head, still don't wash it, but instead just get it a little bit wet in the problem areas, and blow dry it there again. Touch it up, and let yesterday's product and natural oils roll with you today. Maybe don't wash your hair tonight, either. I usually tell my clients not to wash their hair until they can smell it.

I hope this helps.

kiranr

Reaction score
I actually did go shorter, just didn't post! I'm going to get it even shorter next time, I was just afraid to go so short after having hair past the ears for many years.

As far as combing it farther back/up with regards to the forehead, although I've been using new shampoo/conditioner, my hair is still relatively thick/stubborn. So I've found that in addition to using light hold styling gel all around, a pea-sized dab of strong hold gel spread on the teeth of a fine comb brushed up against the roots of the forehead's hair can help with that for the whole day without getting a wet look. Here's what it looks like now!

pClt4ng.jpg

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not bad, but too much hair on the sides. Tom Cruise has a more square face; the one above looks too round with such thick sides.

kiranr

Reaction score
Okay, so I went shorter. I sort of ditched the whole Cruise model.

The look I'm kinda going for is more of the "Saudi guy" kind of look.

GcB4JHm.jpg

cUgMUBN.jpg

Let me know what you guys think!

Bortelli

Reaction score
You should go for a classic look, something like this. I think you could really pull off this haircut.

Youtube slikhaar.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads