• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can I get fit by doing nothing else but burpees?

CrazyJ

Reaction score
Right now I'm 5'6, and just under 170lbs. I'm not fat, but I am overweight and no where near what I used to look like back when I was a freshman in college. Just no definition anymore, a drooping chest, and love handles. Not good.

Gym is out of the question - I can't afford it. And I don't want to use the college gym, as I'm kind of shy about the way I look and the weak amounts I can lift.

What I'd like to do is lose thirty pounds and go back to my old weight of 140, which was three years ago. I don't want to get bigger, and I don't really care about strength. I just want to be slender again so I don't have fat pouring out my jeans when I put them on now.

If I did burpees everyday with a calorie-deficit diet, could I accomplish this? Or will I have to incorporate running?

I don't really like running, but if I have to I will. Burpees seem so effective though- if I did them everyday to exhaustion, would I really need to run, or do anything else for that matter? Remember that my goal is just to lose a lot of weight, nothing else.

uvmboi13

Reaction score
Losing weight is your only goal?

The only way to accomplish that is to fix your diet and do cardio. You don't even need to do weights.

Cardio + Proper Diet = Trims fat

If you have lots of fat right now and you do lose the weight, expect to have some saggy skin left over. It might take time for it to tighten up or it may NEVER go away.

If it doesn't go away, plastic surgery is the only way.

Valor

Reaction score
Hmm 5'6" 170 is pretty chubs.

1. cut soda
2. try to cut beer (yeah right)
3. eat as healthy as you can
4. run/cardio

Problem with burpees is that you'll get exhausted way before you burn the calories. Try to incorporate a few other excercises in with them. If you never want to go outside, you can do situps, squats, dips, push ups (various ones) and if you have a pull up bar you can do those. You can also do various stationary excercises and yoga.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If your in a calorie deficit you'll lose fat, you might lose some muscle (and strength) at the same time, but since you don't care about that it wont be a problem.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HAhahahaha... OMG. We REALLY need to stop with these threads. Jesus...

Dude, sure. You could get fit. Do them to exhaustion and try it. Guarantee you will hit exhaustion after 45 seconds, quit and never work out again.

Incorporate different stuff. yea, running sucks but you know why everyone does it? Cause it works. There is no such thing as a 6 minute workout to get fit.

Now please stop posting.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i suppose if you were to limit yourself to only one single excersize for both strength and cardio fitness you couldnt go too wrong with a burpee. providing you adhere to strict pushup and do a full squat jump ever rep.

but why?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Going back a few years, I used to run up the stairs in my building (~7 floors), do 15 burpees on the roof, and then go back down again. Repeat x 3 or 4. That was a pretty damn decent workout.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Time for teh Professore to try the "Tough Love" approach: I think a big part is getting over your own issues. From your post, you sound like a real lazy ass. Gym is "out of the question?" Ridiculous. "I hate running." Oh, poor thing. If you really want to lose weight, you'll do what it takes and not just hope that the Lord in his High Heaven will swoop down and burn your love handles away. Go to the gym on campus. You are paying for it with your university fees. Who cares if you can't lift much? The point of a gym isn't to parade around for other boys and girls to look at you... it's to get in shape. Take an Ipod or something and tune everybody else out. Take a book and prop it up on the stand in front of you on a treadmill/spinner/etc. Nobody will see you, and nobody cares. And eat right. Also, running in a park or on a sidewalk is free. I want to start a thread, "Can I get fit by doing nothing else but posting 'Can I Get Fit' Threads on SF."

SeanH

Reaction score
Originally Posted by uvmboi13
Losing weight is your only goal?

The only way to accomplish that is to fix your diet and do cardio. You don't even need to do weights.

Or cardio, for that matter. If you eat less, you will lose weight.

CrazyJ

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Time for teh Professore to try the "Tough Love" approach:

I think a big part is getting over your own issues. From your post, you sound like a real lazy ass.

Gym is "out of the question?" Ridiculous. "I hate running." Oh, poor thing. If you really want to lose weight, you'll do what it takes and not just hope that the Lord in his High Heaven will swoop down and burn your love handles away.

Go to the gym on campus. You are paying for it with your university fees. Who cares if you can't lift much? The point of a gym isn't to parade around for other boys and girls to look at you... it's to get in shape. Take an Ipod or something and tune everybody else out. Take a book and prop it up on the stand in front of you on a treadmill/spinner/etc. Nobody will see you, and nobody cares.

And eat right. Also, running in a park or on a sidewalk is free.

I want to start a thread, "Can I get fit by doing nothing else but posting 'Can I Get Fit' Threads on SF."

I don't want to say I'm lazy, really, more just I lack energy a lot of the time. I'm a server 35-40 hours a week at a busy steakhouse, and then I have classes full-time. That's not even to mention taking care of my dogs and my fiancee so that they're happy. But then again, there are tons of people who survive on 6 hours of sleep and still manage to get up and run three miles, so I guess it's all just mind over matter in the end.

Is drinking coffee in the morning for a pick-up before a jog a bad idea?

As for the gym... well, the ipod is a good idea I guess. Tune everyone else out.

My body composition is really strange... I don't have clippers on hand to tell my bodyfat, but no one even really thinks I'm overweight, even though I know I am. I wear a 31 waist, all my shirts are XS or S, and you could not tell I am 170lbs if you saw me clothed. It's only until my shirt peaks up that the person sitting behind me might see my lovely love handles.

I like a combination of burpees and running for right now... if I do 3 miles each session (about 30 minutes for me), how many of these can I get away with doing a week? And I'm not trying to be lazy, I just don't want to overdedicate my time and become overexhausted at work.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^Others here are MUCH more knowledgeable than I am, so maybe I'm completely wrong, but it seems to me like the easiest thing for you to do is just reduce calories/eat less.

You are probably eating more ****** food than you realize. If you start to keep track of everything you actually eat (not just meals, but snacks, drinks, etc.) you might surprise yourself with what you're putting away.

CrazyJ

Reaction score
Oh I know my diet's terrible. It's an "on-the-go" diet, pretty much anything that's the most convenient. Cereal, delivery chinese, free chicken tenders at work (I don't have to pay, more money for beer!), brownies my fiancee made.

Then I have the problem of munchies. Even after smoking weed for about five years habitually, I still have big problems with eating too much when I'm high.

Soooo... yeah, gotta fix the diet too.

Is cereal healthy? Apple jacks are really too convenient to easily pass up.

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Uh, you'll probably have more energy and eat less if you were to stop getting high... Or is that, too, out of the question?

Kris

Reaction score
Jigga, you need more than burpees. Your problems are in attitude and lifestyle. If you fix that **** and do 100 super burpees a day (aim for 100 in 10 minutes, eventually), yeah you'll get fit as you define it. But you need some tissues for your issues, girlfriend.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads