• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ironist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats on your purchase! I have both the wolverine 1000s and the katadhins (regular version) and I reach for the katadhins more often in bad weather. It's a little narrower and like you said, the sole is better for its purpose. I took a look at my katadhins and I actually never noticed it but it does have a little separation like yours even when I don't pull on it. I've worn it for a couple years and it never came off though. It's probably just cosmetic. I'm not sure how you even found that out, I never pull on the heels of any of my shoes. However, even if it isn't, I would keep wearing it until it breaks down and then have LL Bean fix / replace it for you. They are pretty good about those things. Enjoy your boots!

Last edited:

matthewh

Reaction score
My one concern is around the connection of the heel block to the sole. On the inside edge of the heel block (towards to toe of the boot), if you pull down with some force, you can see a hairline separation between the heel and sole. Without pulling on it, no separation is visible. This is the case on both shoes. I'm almost positive I noticed the same thing on the Iron Ranger (same cork nitrile sole) when I tried it on in the Red Wing store. So I'm wondering if this is a normal reality of that type of sole or if that's a defect. It doesn't feel loose at all, but I'm wondering if moisture, etc could get in there and cause problems. It seems like a layer of glue would resolve it, but maybe that type of sole doesn't glue/adhere well to itself in that type of rubber-on-rubber seam? Would love to hear if anyone else has noticed this and whether it's a problem or not?

Also I'm thinking about replacing the removable insoles. Anyone have any recommendations for a leather-topped (I like the feel of a patina leather insole), breathable boot insole?

I have both versions of the Katahdin Iron Works boots and both have exactly the same thing with the heel. I noticed it when I first bought them and was a little concerned but since these are from LL Bean I decided not to do anything about it. LL Beans' customer service is great and they'll stand behind their products, no questions asked. I'm actually wearing the cordovan version at work today and just noticed that the small crack is even visible on one boot without pulling but I haven't had any problems so far. I've also got a similar boot made by Thorogood with a cork sole. I remember checking them when I noticed this on the Katahdin's and they have the same thing.

On the plain toe boot I replaced the insole with a Superfeet insole and really like them. I'm using the orange version. Superfeet has lots of different styles for different needs. They have a couple of merino wool versions that are supposed to be very comfortable and breathable but I haven't tried them.

ekallevig

Reaction score
@Ironist @matthewh I had my co-worker look at his brand new wolverine 1k and a similar hairline crack shows up if you pull down a bit. Maybe this is just how heel blocks are attached in general? ie. they only use nails/tacks and dont put glue between the sole and heel block? Seems odd but I don't know much about shoemaking.

Thanks for your information -- good to know it's not an isolated thing.

gfloridafan93

Reaction score
So just how good is ok beans warranty on these? I am intrigued by the cordovan color boots but I am concerned with how they are going to crease. Could I wear them indoors for a little while, see how the toes crease and then possibly return them? Or would that be a jerk move?

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So just how good is ok beans warranty on these? I am intrigued by the cordovan color boots but I am concerned with how they are going to crease. Could I wear them indoors for a little while, see how the toes crease and then possibly return them? Or would that be a jerk move?

Don't be an asshole and abuse their return policy.

rabiesinfrance

Reaction score
I have read lots of posts about what products to use on them. Speaking from experience, I have used Montana Pitch Blend and Obenaufs. Recently tried this. Excellent product. Better than the latter two products, which can leave black residue on the leather. I can now see the fine grain of the boots. Importantly, if you use this product you'll keep the original waxed leather finish, which is matted down by Montana and Obenaufs.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dasco-Leather-Suitable-Smooth-Leathers/dp/B00CLQHAHW

bronco302

Reaction score
Hello every one!
As of next Friday I will become a member of the katahdin iron works family, yes!
I'm so exited !.
After gone through a few pages here I've seen that a lot of guys use the obenauf's conditioner to treat their boots.
Has anyone used Dr Martens wonder balsam?
I don't plan on working my boots, they're more for daily and styling purpose.

bronco302

Reaction score

Got my katahdins last Saturday an wore them for about 8 hours,went to the mall and they felt awesome.
The back collar did hurt but it was worth the pain cause the more I put them on, the softer they feel.
I plan on using this boots for formal and styling wear, they go great with slim pants,kakhis or pretty much everything since the oiled brown leather mixes with most colors.
These boots are bad ass, they got a lot of looks from guys that were wearing boots when I wore them, little did they know the back collar was killing me ha ha .

seer

Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco302

Got my katahdins last Saturday an wore them for about 8 hours,went to the mall and they felt awesome.
The back collar did hurt but it was worth the pain cause the more I put them on, the softer they feel.
I plan on using this boots for formal and styling wear, they go great with slim pants,kakhis or pretty much everything since the oiled brown leather mixes with most colors.
These boots are bad ass, they got a lot of looks from guys that were wearing boots when I wore them, little did they know the back collar was killing me ha ha .

Looking good! Yes, that back collar gave me problems too. Give it time, and don't tighten the upper lace so much at first.

scrwl

Reaction score
Hi, I bought my used Katahdins in november and the seller didn't specify how long they have been used or when they were made. Does this "0507" mean 05/2007?

edit: Might as well post a couple of ****** cell pics too. Sno-Sealed them 2 days ago.

Last edited:

seer

Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrwl

Hi, I bought my used Katahdins in november and the seller didn't specify how long they have been used or when they were made. Does this "0507" mean 05/2007?

Mine are older than yours, I think this is a date mark, mine are 9 94. The really important thing, to my mind, is were they made in the US? And second, are they in decent condition.

bronco302

Reaction score
Anybody knows where I can get insoles same as the ones on the katahdin boot?
I looked on eBay, Amazon and the web but nothing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads