• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DanDan77

Reaction score
Classic Vans Authentics. I have narrow feet as well and even the 7 is a tiny bit loose, but it fits well with a book sock.

Thanks! I think I'm leaning towards the 9's now. I prefer a snug fit and its likely to pack out with some wear. Now I just have to find a deal on some Katahdins or grab some Chippewas for cheap. Ordering direct from llbean would be smart because I could return them if they are too small.

sincerity

Reaction score

After 6 mos of use every day in a metal shop environment....this is my 2nd pair. The other ones one of the eyelets popped off after a year or so. No hassle LL bean replaced them. Just chatted with LL Bean as you can see the right lace snapped. She suggested I buy them from lacesforless.com. I told her didn't think I should have to buy after 5 mos and she said without hesitation let me submit a request to locate some laces for you. Verified my address and said it may take a little longer than usual but they are going to try. LL Bean is the ****. :slayer:

Last edited:

mljs54

Reaction score
Are the Katahdin's the same color as the 20065 or are they slightly lighter? I'm going off of the Amazon pic for the 20065. Thanks.

poena

Reaction score
has anyone had their katahdin boots resoled?
I'm looking to get something lugged...these vibram soles are a little too slick in the snow.

Kerrick

Reaction score
Last edited:

FENWAY

Reaction score
I'm kicking myself for not trying on the plain toe version sooner! I knew they looked good after seeing them in person at the store, but was loyal to the cap toe...no more. Love the dark/rich color with the contrasting welt, and the oiled leather is Very comfortable. My camera is struggling to pick up the color...will take pics in natural light soon

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This may be totally inappropriate, but I'm belatedly returning a pair of regular, KIWBs to LL Bean.
11D, tried on indoors briefly on wood floors and carpet.
Held on to them too long because I wasn't sure of my size in these (still am not truthfully).

Anyways, I bought them a price increase or two ago, so before I return them if anyone wants them for what I'll get in returnining them (~$165, much less than current $210 price) let me know.

ekallevig

Reaction score
I recently spent way too much time researching my first "nice" boot. I considered the Wolverine 1ks, the Red Wing Beckman and Iron Rangers, etc. I started looking into Chippewa after reading some good reviews by people who had also owned these other brands. I would have bought the 1k but I wanted something more equipped for wet weather (ie. no leather sole). I was pretty settled on the Chippewa service boot / homestead boot style so I went to the LL Bean store near me to nail down sizing. Here I found the Khatadin in cordovan (http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/78205?page=katahdin-iron-work-engineer-boots-plain-toe-mens) and that was it. The leather is amazing (very similar to the 1k) and it seems like an overall good quality boot. The welt looks very tight and sealed. I wish it had speed hooks but that's not a huge issue for me. I also like how the rapid stitching of the welt goes all the way around the back. The fit is quite good out of the box and actually doesn't seem like it will need a ton of breaking in. It comes with a cloth-topped rubber insole which is fairly comfortable (although I may replace with a leather-topped insole). Waxed laces feel pretty sturdy -- although they are round and I like the look of the flat waxed laces.

My one concern is around the connection of the heel block to the sole. On the inside edge of the heel block (towards to toe of the boot), if you pull down with some force, you can see a hairline separation between the heel and sole. Without pulling on it, no separation is visible. This is the case on both shoes. I'm almost positive I noticed the same thing on the Iron Ranger (same cork nitrile sole) when I tried it on in the Red Wing store. So I'm wondering if this is a normal reality of that type of sole or if that's a defect. It doesn't feel loose at all, but I'm wondering if moisture, etc could get in there and cause problems. It seems like a layer of glue would resolve it, but maybe that type of sole doesn't glue/adhere well to itself in that type of rubber-on-rubber seam? Would love to hear if anyone else has noticed this and whether it's a problem or not?

Also I'm thinking about replacing the removable insoles. Anyone have any recommendations for a leather-topped (I like the feel of a patina leather insole), breathable boot insole?

Heel block seam normally (no separation visible):

Heel block seam when pulling down:

Fresh from the box:

Top view after one wear:

Side view after one wear:

Insole top:

Insole bottom:

Insole of boot (without removable insole):

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads