• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calf or Cordovan? Probably Edward Green

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Calf as first choice or Cordovan with double sole and brass buckles

gsugsu

Reaction score
You haven't decided between monk or boot? You should do this first or are you asking for people to convince you one way or the other? Are you doing an MTO or buying RTW? Makes a difference with respect to being able to find cordovan in either. What will you wear the monk or boot with? Suits? Odd jackets & trousers? Casual wear? Double or single monk? Balmoral boot or open lacing? More info would help people give you ideas.

RTW EG shoes and boots in cordovan rare. Leather Soul has the Troon single monk in shell. EG balmoral boots are few and far between in any kind of leather outside of MTO. Leffot has the Epsom (in a black colour way) and Leather Soul has the Shannon in coffee suede. I don't know of any others out there and none in cordovan. There are several EG non-balmoral RTW boots available although not in shell AFAIK: Galway, Nevis & Alderley. I'm not including Chukkas here.

Maybe others can chime in here but you'd do well to elaborate on what you are looking for.

Modic

Reaction score
Ok. Let me elaborate.

I will purchase both monk and boot.
But not both at once.
Color will be brown or burgundy
The main purpose is not for business suit, but business causual or smart casual.

For monk, I target at double monk Westminster.
For boot, I guess I may dress in a more casual way.
Target at either Galway or Shannon.

I dont mind to be MTO as they would probably be my long lasting pairs.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Can you elaborate on why? I'm curious.

It's a waxy leather, a pull up. It's thick and stiff and can take quite a bit off abuse, the tradeoff being that it doesn't breathe particularly well. To me feels like a halfway medium between the stuff that waxy work boots are made out of and normal dress shoes. I think that's part of the reason for it's historical popularity - you can beat the **** out of it, and then give it a brush and it'll look presentable. Certainly the more famous shell models have been casual shoes - the classic #08 longwing is pretty chunky.

I find calf to be more luxurious and elegant for sleek dress shoes - oxfords, sleek monks etc.

OTOH I have seen some nice looking sleek cordovan models - Carmina seems to excel in this department. I can't help but think they'd be as good or better in calf though.

Last edited:

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is StyleForum yo, make it a double monk boot in chisel lasts with #8 shell cordovan leather and beveled sole and cuban heels. bonus points for using gunmetal color shell cordovan.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Westminster is a elegant style - something I would get for myself definitely in calf (they are especially gorgeous on the 888 last in dark oak antique or bronze antique)

Sturdier boots in cordovan - why not?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As others have posted, I'd get the monk in calf and boot in shell with a double sole. The sleek last on the monk will look much better in calf whereas the boot will be better able to handle rough duty in shell with a double sole.

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a waxy leather, a pull up. It's thick and stiff and can take quite a bit off abuse, the tradeoff being that it doesn't breathe particularly well. To me feels like a halfway medium between the stuff that waxy work boots are made out of and normal dress shoes. I think that's part of the reason for it's historical popularity - you can beat the **** out of it, and then give it a brush and it'll look presentable. Certainly the more famous shell models have been casual shoes - the classic #08 longwing is pretty chunky.
I find calf to be more luxurious and elegant for sleek dress shoes - oxfords, sleek monks etc.
OTOH I have seen some nice looking sleek cordovan models - Carmina seems to excel in this department. I can't help but think they'd be as good or better in calf though.

Excellent explanation, thank you.

ap10046

Reaction score
I say get the EG Hove's or their RL counterpart...there's a pair for sale on the B&S...and the Carmina Balmoral Cordovan boots..
Depending on your size..there's a few pairs of Lindricks for sale on the 'Bay.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads