• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks guys, good to know about the service metrics holiday. That combined with the chat transcript where “Jeff” said he’d note the customer request on the transaction should cover me then. I’m always paranoid because I got dinged once for not uploading tracking information for a local meet up. :fu:
There is also a new feature coming out soon for local pickup transactions, where the buyer receives a QR code or pin number, to give to the seller, to verify to ebay that it was actually picked up and satisfactory.

Not sure how much you sell, but as long as you don't drop below 90% for shipping on time, you will be fine. They allow that 10% just for instances like this.

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is also a new feature coming out soon for local pickup transactions, where the buyer receives a QR code or pin number, to give to the seller, to verify to ebay that it was actually picked up and satisfactory.

Not sure how much you sell, but as long as you don't drop below 90% for shipping on time, you will be fine. They allow that 10% just for instances like this.
Yeah, that was why I didn’t push the issue. Lately I’ve sold little enough that it could become a problem depending on time frame, but usually staying above 90 (I didn’t realize it was that low a bar) isn’t that hard. I should start listing more actively again.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Since moving to a regional town, I dropped local pickup. I have now dropped international sales too, as it is just too risky (as you yourself experienced). I don't see me going back to either one.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is EBay actually doing phone support? If so, what hours?

MrUsedThreads

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

yes they are but you have to call the number found under the help/contact tab. If you call the normal eBay customer service number it will route you to an automated message telling you to find your answers online.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, they initially closed temporarily on March 18th, but re-opened via telecommuting on March 23rd. Normal hours. I've had a few instances with about 5 minute hold times, but other than that I've gotten through rather quickly.

Last edited:

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does anybody know an online shipping label service (similar to stamps.com) compatible w/ Dymo 99019 labels (the long skinny ones)? They work with PayPal and eBay, but I need an external solution.

Sartoriamo

Reaction score
Argh, I guess it shouldn't frustrate me that buyers don't really understand ebay. I had a buyer pay for an item and then pay immediately (he was accepting an offer, so didn't actually have to do that). He then asked if I could delay shipment. I so wish that he had mentioned that earlier so that I could have said to accept the sale, and then wait a few days to pay. Anyway...

I don't have to ship until Tuesday because I had changed all my handling times to 2 day back when Corona hit, and I haven't changed it back yet.
Am I correct that as long as I have printed the postage on Tuesday, ebay will not care when I actually give it to the post office, and won't defect me if it sits in my basement until Thursday or Friday?
Buyer doesn't want it until Monday the 29th, and I would expect Priority to get from Milwaukee to Philly between Friday and Monday.
Thanks guys. I'm a little rusty. With no thrifts open until a couple of weeks ago, and skeletal crew at ebay to fix problems, I've been a pretty unmotivated seller for the last three months. Also, I'm typically a really fast shipper--like if he hadn't messaged me it would have been out of my hands within hours. (And as for the thrifts, opening them back up hasn't helped much. I've only bought a couple of things, and nothing for flipping. Bikes, lawnmowers, and snowblowers on FB has been much more useful than ebay here lately.)
That's happened to me a few times – EVEN when I've told the buyer NOT TO PAY, as buyers get infinite flexibility and sellers get NONE. If they still can't read and interpret basic English and an uncomplicated concept (if they don't pay, they can take pretty much as long as they like, but as soon as they pay I HAVE to ship), and they pay anyway, then I simply absorb the couple bucks it takes to add Sig Conf. That way, the package gets marked as "delivered" and held at the PO until the loser picks it up. I haven't had one returned yet because of failure to pick up, though that could theoretically happen after a week. If the limit is getting close, I call the relevant local USPS and let them know to hold it until the date the buyer has requested. Rare event, maybe a few times a year, so it doesn't bother me to manage it a bit more watchfully.

Sartoriamo

Reaction score
Well, even those of us who've been doing this for a looooooong time (in my case, 20+ years) still can get skunked once in a while (which is why this is not on the thrift "bragging" thread.

Moving fast (as always), and spotted this NWT Armani suit: looks fine, supple fabric, decent pick stitching, tag still on the sleeve, looks line mainline . . . Yep, 3-barely-roll-2, but these always sell . . .

6-20a - 1 (2).jpeg

OK, let's just confirm it's mainline . . .
6-20a - 2.jpeg

In my haste, I see a few Italian words (taglia etc), plus the all-important "Borgo 21", so I instakop at almost free. Then I get home and sling it on the photography table in prep for a brag post. And there, inside the pants: elation turns to deflation . . . (TWSS, prior two sentences: you know who you are).
6-20a - 3.jpeg

The eagle motif is a 100% sign of a fake. Damn, these guys are getting good . . . Reviewing the inside maker label, sure, I should have caught it, but at a quick glance . . . And all is not lost, as there's a consignment shop I know that is quite happy to sell anything with a label, so it will go there for the folks who like this sort of thing . . . So that's your PSA, with the hope that you will not repeat my walk of shame . . .

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does anybody know an online shipping label service (similar to stamps.com) compatible w/ Dymo 99019 labels (the long skinny ones)? They work with PayPal and eBay, but I need an external solution.
Also just noticed Fitshipper added that format as well, though I stick with Pirateship since the cubic rates are the same and because Pirateship has the best international rates (Simple Export Rate)...as long as you are ballsy enough to ship international first class. Fitshipper's box resizing suggestion tool does come in handy to save $$ on domestic priority, but once you have the sizes memorized you don't really need it.

drlivingston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Frustrated... My local post office instituted drop-off only rules. You can't wait for them to scan. They assured me that they would scan them before taking them to processing. I dropped off 11 ties on June 16th. Not a SINGLE ONE has had an initial scan. I spoke with the local postmaster. She looked at me sympathetically and said, "Are you sure you dropped them off?" None of them are expensive ties. But, it makes me look like an idiot to my buyers (not that I really need help in looking like an idiot). I am really growing tired of this COVID bullshit.
edit: And, yes, I did switch to another post office that scans packages while I wait.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bhargav1505