• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks Brothers 1818 Value

fstime

Reaction score
I have the chance to purchase a Navy 1818 Milano 36R for around $700 as my first suit. I am a very skinny at being 5'9'' and 130-135 lbs and I have heard the Milano line is pretty slim fitting which is good. I tried the suit on and it felt very good off the rack and I really liked the Navy color.

My question is, am I better off perhaps with a Suit Supply suit? They seem cheaper at the $500 range but they offer so many lines and there is little way of telling which fit would work best for my very slim profile. I don't know if it is the lighting in their pictures, but their blue suits (except the London) look like such a light shade of blue, almost cartoonish, I hope it is the lighting.

I also read the buying a suit guide here and the Benjamin Satori line was recommended for also around $500 while offering being fully canvassed.

So these are my three considerations right now, I would appreciate any advice.

Last edited:

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
I don't have any experience with Suit Supply or Satori and have never seen them in the wild, but I do know Brooks. When you can get the 1818s on sale, they are a solid buy in that price range.

The key here is fit. Post a pic in the Milano. If the fit is good, you're gold ... Don't worry about the roads not taken at that price range.

Last edited:

fstime

Reaction score
Damn, I should have taken a picture, it didn't cross my mind at the time. I am no expert, but I thought it fit reasonably well.

nickrut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally if I'm spending 700 on a suit that will likely need tailoring, I'm spending the extra 100 and getting a MTM from one of the guys on the site. Kent Wang does MTMs starting in that range that will be fully canvassed.

fstime

Reaction score
I visited Kent Wang's website and the MTM process does sound appealing and a good way to get a really clean fit and the prices are good for a full canvas.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a massive thread on Suit Supply, with pictures, comments, list of models, etc. The brand is generally becoming considered a good place to start. I've heard pretty good things about the Benjamin suits. It's not quite as accepted on the forums, but you could also look into the JCrew Ludlow suits. Given your frame, perhaps the skinnier lapels and lower button stance could elongate your appearance.

bearback

Reaction score
I'm in a similar position. The 1818 Milano fits perfectly for me. I'm almost surprised that it fits you well since I'm 5'8" 155 - pretty average but considered "slim" by US standards I guess.

The Suit Supply's Napoli fit great on me too but you're right, their Navy Blue in the Napoli is not a true navy, it is lighter. The London is a true navy but it is too roomy for me - I'm extremely surprised that it fit you. If I got the London, I would definitely get some waist suppression on it.

Btw, BB will have another 25% off sale so you can still get the Milano in June for the same price as now during their F&F sale.

can you link me on the Satori? I'm not getting any hits on google or SF for "Satori Suit"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads