• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Appreciation thread

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hi Jr Mouse - I've recently purchased the "more expensive" case from Ray and probably have some first hand experience. He has recently begun to use Sedgwick leather and that is probably the reason for the price increase.

Yeah I know he switched to Sedgwick. He was selling these new Sedwick bags in the $900's and they recently saw a price jump to over $1k. It's not a huge jump all in all.

It would be nice if he still offered bags in the less expensive bridle he used to use as an option.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Suggestions and recommendations needed here.

I have a three gussets Frank Clegg zip-top briefcase that I use all the time when I travel and absolutely love it. I also ordered a zipper pouch that I also carry with me when I don't need the entire bag for brief meetings on the road.

That being said, when I am back in the office I find it the three gussets a bit too much for daily commute, and the leather pouch a bit too small. So I have been considering buying another smaller briefcase.

Since I was very impressed with FC so naturally I took a good look at their other offerings. Here's my questions:

Should I go for a double or single gusset briefcase or should I go for the slightly bigger portfolios?

Thanks!

If you have a large briefcase already, I would use this as an opportunity to get something smaller and more streamlined. IMO his zip-top looks best in the single gusset design. If you want to get another one in that style I would go that way. Most of his flap over bags look good in two, but he also carries some nice single gusset options.

Deo Veritas

Reaction score
Nice store in Toronto. Just been there over weekend. They carry SAB, few Italian brands, Tumi... Mostly high end stuff.

Yea fantastic stuff, but very high end and high-priced.

Reaction score

Yeah I know he switched to Sedgwick. He was selling these new Sedwick bags in the $900's and they recently saw a price jump to over $1k. It's not a huge jump all in all.

It would be nice if he still offered bags in the less expensive bridle he used to use as an option.

Oh that is something I am not aware of - thanks for the information.

Also I have recently paid a visit to the SAB store in London and think there is quite a significant differences in the leather btw the two.

Does not have first hand info on his previous batch which is not with Sedgwick though so don't know the differences, but am perfectly happy with this piece and think Sedgwick leather is quite a good idea - think switching to Sedgwick is out of demand more than anything else. Not the expert here but think that Sedgwick is quite a difficult thing to get as you can't get it directly from the tannery but have to deal with an agent?

He is also out for the next a few weeks as a result of demand actually.

My63

Reaction score
I don't know Ray Clark but he makes fantastic cases. I did a lot of research when planning to make my own briefcase J E Sedgwick produce very high quality English bridle leather. I thought you might like to see how it is made.

Here are the pieces that are required to make a briefcase.

I don't think Sedgwick's are set up for retail I bought mine from Abbey England along with all of the hand finished brassware from there foundry I can understand why Mr Clark has put his prices up take it from me he is not making huge profits.

Last edited:

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If money is not an issue than I would always go for the double. It just seems more aesthetically pleasing to the eye. Also, I feel it does help that there is a piece to separate your laptop and work files. Allows you to have easier access when you want to quickly get out your stuff.
If you have a large briefcase already, I would use this as an opportunity to get something smaller and more streamlined. IMO his zip-top looks best in the single gusset design. If you want to get another one in that style I would go that way. Most of his flap over bags look good in two, but he also carries some nice single gusset options.

Thanks for the input guys.

I am in the market to get something different than a zip-top. Perhaps the English or the Birmingham briefcase. I am also eyeing their new port brief, but since it doesn't have a shoulder strap it might not be as practical as the others, though I really like the aesthetic of that particular bag.

letsi

Reaction score

Oh that is something I am not aware of - thanks for the information.

Also I have recently paid a visit to the SAB store in London and think there is quite a significant differences in the leather btw the two.

Does not have first hand info on his previous batch which is not with Sedgwick though so don't know the differences, but am perfectly happy with this piece and think Sedgwick leather is quite a good idea - think switching to Sedgwick is out of demand more than anything else. Not the expert here but think that Sedgwick is quite a difficult thing to get as you can't get it directly from the tannery but have to deal with an agent?

He is also out for the next a few weeks as a result of demand actually.

Could you share what is the significant difference? From what I understand, SAB has not been using Sedgwick bridle for many years...

Reaction score

Could you share what is the significant difference? From what I understand, SAB has not been using Sedgwick bridle for many years...

The Sedgwick is much more dense and hard in feeling.

From my understanding SAB has never used Sedgwick - according to Ray's earlier thread(could find on this post).

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

You certainly can by direct from Sedgwick, but you do have to buy in quantity and pick the leather up/arrange shipping if you want to. The saddlery leather trade works differently than the wider European calf tanneries do. Sedgwick is in Walsall and most of the saddlery trade is also in Walsall (a small industrial town in the West Midlands of the UK, for those elsewhere!), so the big firms order a lot of leather and pick them up in an HGV when its ready, but you also have agents who drive around the town in their vans on a regular round with leather, tools all that kind of stuff. Its a very local industry traditionally, not at all geared up towards mail order etc etc

Charlie

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sedgwick is great stuff. Some of the best. Doesn't mean that bridle leather from other sources isn't also nice. I don't own a bag from Ray, but have read nothing but glowing reviews for his bags. Including the ones he made in the past that didn't use Sedgwick.

Reaction score

You certainly can by direct from Sedgwick, but you do have to buy in quantity and pick the leather up/arrange shipping if you want to. The saddlery leather trade works differently than the wider European calf tanneries do. Sedgwick is in Walsall and most of the saddlery trade is also in Walsall (a small industrial town in the West Midlands of the UK, for those elsewhere!), so the big firms order a lot of leather and pick them up in an HGV when its ready, but you also have agents who drive around the town in their vans on a regular round with leather, tools all that kind of stuff. Its a very local industry traditionally, not at all geared up towards mail order etc etc

Charlie

Thanks Charlie for the useful info

Solari

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'd like to buy a leather briefcase to carry regularly to work every day. Not one of the solid cuboid ones, but one of the well-structured calf leather ones that look nice and clean and are of good quality.

I really don't want to spend too much though so looking for some good value suggestions please. Like I can do without them being fully handmade if it means I save a grand or something crazy like that.

I currently don't really carry anything to work currently.

Size wise, small-to-medium. I'm quite a small guy and looking for something relatively lightweight but still able to carry a few a4 documents comfortably and maybe some other paraphernalia.

I'd like it to be quite sleek and modern - not too dissimilar to Frank Clegg or that really high-end japanese one (can't remember its name).

Budget wise... I'd like to spend less than £800 ideally...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads