• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Appreciation thread

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love that style briefcase, any other places to buy this style besides SAB?

I imagine the ones recently posted where bespoke (with prices to match)...

Last edited:

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

These are a bit different than the SAB cases and those Casemaker posted earlier today. The Fukuda cases are lined calf, the English style tends to use unlined Bridle leather. Bridle is heavier and will last longer, calf is lighter and softer.

Charlie

agedashidofu

Reaction score

Tradition, and the importance of the 'office'. A snap of the outgoing case, and the new.
Simon, Your briefcase is truly a work of art! Congratulations on such a prestigious commission. Your briefcase will be the silent witness of the many important decisions the country will make for many years to come. On a side note however, I still think that it will look better in conker :) :) :) But then again I would imagine that such an important position will require an appropriately conservative color for the briefcase... All the best!

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Last edited:

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Tradition, and the importance of the 'office'. A snap of the outgoing case, and the new.
I'd almost consider getting into politics for a case like that. BTW, how old was the last one? And was that the current occupant's, or did it go with the office?

Tony Montana

Reaction score

Actually, at 129,600 yen (including tax) they're very reasonably priced! I'm quite tempted, not sure which colour to choose, though.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Actually, at 129,600 yen (including tax) they're very reasonably priced! I'm quite tempted, not sure which colour to choose, though.

That is quite reasonable indeed, how does one inquire about such a briefcase purchase?

Last edited:

casemaker

Reaction score
I'd almost consider getting into politics for a case like that.

BTW, how old was the last one? And was that the current occupant's, or did it go with the office?

My guess would be the 1950's, possibly 60's. I'm basing that on the Chubb lock, which in over 30 years of casemaking, I have not seen before, and is certainly no longer made. From what I could gather, speaking to someone at Chubb, they no longer make locks ( that part of the company was sold off ? ), but are now an insurance company ?

these boxes are used for transporting documents,

And correct, the boxes and cases, will belong to the Chancellor of the Exchequer's office, rather than the temporary office holder.

MoosicPa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Simon, I am not familiar with this style of box. We usually see the Government Ministers and their Red Boxes made by Barrow & Gale, which open from the bottom. Do you know what the different purpose of this style of case versus the red ones?

casemaker

Reaction score
Both styles of boxes are used for transporting documents, but more than that, I would only be guessing? I will see if I can find out.

you can just see some red boxes lurking below the table.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

My guess would be the 1950's, possibly 60's. I'm basing that on the Chubb lock, which in over 30 years of casemaking, I have not seen before, and is certainly no longer made. From what I could gather, speaking to someone at Chubb, they no longer make locks ( that part of the company was sold off ? ), but are now an insurance company ?

So mad it must be true! I know, we're a very famous lock company, lets not make locks and do something else instead....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads