• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Appreciation thread

888style

Reaction score
Does anyone know who makes this type of lock. Hard to read the print in the picture. Seem to remember a link to similar type lock was posted a while ago. Can't find it. Thx.

357501821_o.jpg

AZMJS

Reaction score
Can any of you luggage connoisseurs identify this logo of what appears to be a whale or a fish on an old leather bag?

logo1.jpg

bag1.jpg

I have the strangest feeling I've seen it before.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a classic briefcase for a female? My parents are getting my sister one for law school graduation and put me in charge. Price range is $500-800 or so.

GBer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by black_umbrella
4 year old that I carry everyday, everywhere (airplanes, work, vacation).
photo.jpg

Looks nice, what is it and where can I get it?

Rambler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 888style
Does anyone know who makes this type of lock. Hard to read the print in the picture. Seem to remember a link to similar type lock was posted a while ago. Can't find it. Thx.

357501821_o.jpg

I think Cheney makes some of the locks for English cases as well as for Filson. Not sure if this one is a Cheney but it's the same style:

https://www.saddler.co.uk/shop.html?...e_luggage_lock

I have a similar round lock on my SAB but it is not stamped.

tang

Reaction score
Was browsing another thread and came across some pictures of a bag carrying a gorgeous bag http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...&postcount=390. wondering if any of you can identify the bag. Asked the same query in that thread but thought i might as well try my luck here. Have re-posted the photos below, it's the bag that the asian dude is carrying:

standard.jpg
standard.jpg

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambler
I think Cheney makes some of the locks for English cases as well as for Filson. Not sure if this one is a Cheney but it's the same style:

I have a similar round lock on my SAB but it is not stamped.

I have a similar round lock on an RLPL case.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ross57

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Diego780
Thank you Style Forum.

I work in Technology, travel 2-3 weeks/month and I am in a sea of ballistic nylon laptop bags.

I have been obsessing and researching over the past 6 months to find a proper leather briefcase that is stylish, functional and exudes excellence in quality and craftsmanship. I didn't anticipate how difficult this would be.

But I finally made a decision.....

Thanks to Norcal, yfyf, Sangfroid and Mark from Plano for your recommendation to Glaser Designs.

I just pulled the trigger and have placed an order for a 5"deal bag in their burnished Chestnut saddle leather, which I feel will age best and is a perfect balance for size between being my travel and "day to day" bag. Looking forward to see what 3-5 years on the road will add to it's character.

Spoke to both Myron and Kari and they are both first class.

Myron took the time to go through my needs, went into specific detail about the process of tanning high-quality leather and the color (Vegetable tanned, it gets darker with age).

According to Myron, it's going to take 4-5 weeks to build, and I am crossing the days off on my calendar - the anticipation is killing me!!!!

I will post pics as soon as I receive it for everyone to view.

Can't wait!!!!!!!

Also, if any existing owners of the 5" deal bag can provide their personal experience/feedback or pics....it would be much appreciated.

Diego.

I too must put in a good word for Myron and Kari. After several Skype consultations, I asked them to make up a portfolio in 3" width, narrower than any Kari had previously designed. But she willingly complied with my request, and the bag is both beautiful and highly functional. I fly for business less frequently these days, but when I do the bag will accommodate my 13" laptop, cord organizer (Glaser's sailtcloth organizers are lightweight and sturdy), Kindle, BBerry, passport, spare eyeglasses, a few files, etc. In the meantime, it's the perfect everyday commuter bag.

Kari and Myron are wonderful--highly skilled at their craft and admirably responsive to their customers. Can't recommend them highly enough.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

wetnose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tang
Was wondering if any of you can identify the bag. Asked the same query in that thread but thought i might as well try my luck here. Have re-posted the photos below, it's the bag that the asian dude is carrying:

standard.jpg

That's called a music bag

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tang
Was browsing another thread and came across some pictures of a bag carrying a gorgeous bag http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...&postcount=390. wondering if any of you can identify the bag. Asked the same query in that thread but thought i might as well try my luck here. Have re-posted the photos below, it's the bag that the asian dude is carrying:

standard.jpg
standard.jpg

The scarf plague is infecting all manner of i-gent wannabees.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Haven't posted here in a while, but I recently was able to get a unique Walrus skin pilot case from Gianfranco Ferre's Spring/Summer 2009 season. I have no idea where/when I'll use it, but I'd not seen this hide in a contemporary bag, and the price was quite reasonable considering the rarity of the hide...

Dmlwx.jpg

QGDJD.jpg

Detail of the grain:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads