• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Breakfast Replacement Shake

atct86

Reaction score
What is a good well rounded shake that I can mix with milk or water for a nutritional breakfast every morning. I would something in line with a more nutritional and complete Carnation Instant Breakfast; with less sugar.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I do a protien shake 3-4 days a week. if you are trying to save work, this isn't it, but it is a great way to get nurishment.

I take a handfull of kale and blend it with a little coconut water with a hand blender. then I put in a scoop of protien, a little peanut butter, a handfull of frozen blueberries, a half teaspoon each of tumaric, cinnimon ginger and two type of "superfood" alge, and top it off with either cherry or pomegranite juice or kaffir. then I blend the whole thing smooth.

I have gotten used to the taste, but it really delivers all sorts of stuff that you can use and might not get in your daily diet.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Peel banana's, break them in half, and freeze them.

3/5th milk
2/5th kefir
1/2 frozen banana
2 scoops of protein
1/2 tbl spoon spirulina
A dollop of peanut butter

It's very quick to make. I even keep a measuring spoon out just for the spirulina. I get the bananas every week. Otherwise, they turn brown if you leave them in the freezer too long.

If I really want a smooth morning, I also put any supplements in a small tea up and get my coffee maker ready ect. It makes for a fast, rush free morning.

I'd also recommend a pack of these in the morning:
300.jpg

5g of fiber per pack. 1 pack has 2 small wafers. The cinnamon wafers taste just fine. I dip them in my coffee. Not only do you add a lot of fiber to your diet, but they will also help keep your hunger at bay until you lunch break, so you are less likely to pig out then.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
skim milk, casein, whey, oatmeal

shake

drink

all that other stuff requires a blender and then you have to wash it out

and pb doesnt mix well. just eat some nuts if you need some fats

Last edited:

jaychiz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you tried a green smoothie? It's like a Jamba/Booster/Jugo Juice that will cover over half of your daily fruit/vegetable intake

1 apple
1 orange/banana
2 handfuls of greens (spring mix, spinach, lettuce, celery)
1-2 tablespoons of psyllium husks (if additional fibre wanted)
1 cup of water

Blend, yields between 1-1.5 litres depending on size of fruit

If you want it really smooth you'll need a high powered blender though, I use a vitamix

StylinGuy

Reaction score
ive read on the bodybuilding forums that muscle milk is a meal replacement protein shake. on the mornings after my workout, i'll be sure to down a quick muscle milk shake to make sure my body is getting the proper nutrients...

never skip breakfast.
cheers.gif

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ive read on the bodybuilding forums that muscle milk is a meal replacement protein shake.  on the mornings after my workout, i'll be sure to down a quick muscle milk shake to make sure my body is getting the proper nutrients...

never skip breakfast
:cheers:

why, exactly?

Superfluous Man

Reaction score
Nutrition derived from drinks != nutrition derived from actual food. It takes like ten minutes to whip up a real breakfast, just do it.

Last edited:

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OK my whey protein does not actually have protein. I forgot aqueous nutrients aren't nutrients. Gonna just start eating powder now instead.

Edit: if your talking about like juices then yeah I agree.

Last edited:

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OK my whey protein does not actually have protein. I forgot aqueous nutrients aren't nutrients. Gonna just start eating powder now instead.
Edit: if your talking about like juices then yeah I agree.

look my dude, i know that in the past year or so you've gone from zero diet/training knowledge to a decent amount (or maybe you had the knowledge before and simply weren't applying it to yourself) and you're really eager to share all this new-found knowledge and all the misc memes you've picked up, and you seem to have the basics covered (although your reading comprehension is on like a 3rd grade level), but sometimes it's best to lurk more.

http://monkeyisland.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=4571

lyle mcdonald said:
Was going to put this in the thread that put it back in my mind but decided to make another post.

In that thread, the issue came up regarding red meat as a source of iron and zinc versus just taking pills with me, as usual, banging the drum on eating red meat instead of just popping pills.

Here's at least part of the reason and my half-assed theory: I have this hunch that nutrients in food are not only absorbed better (bioavailability) but utilized better by the body. In some cases, this is clearly due to the structure of the nutrient, for examlpe heme vs. non-heme iron with heme iron (found in red meat) something something like a 10X better absorption than non-heme (found in veggies).

The other part is that I think there may be better absorption/utilization due to the presence of other nutrients (some of which we probably haven't even identified).

Consider, for example, the data showing that natural Vitamin E intakes have a protective effect compared to just taking Vitamin E pills. It's being suggested that the difference is that naturally occuring Vitamin E occurs as a comlex of the different E isoforms along with other compounds (tocotrienols in this case).

The main thing that drove this home for me was when I was looking at the calcium data a couple of years back. Having seen that dairy calcium appeared to work better than non-dairy and not buying the idea that it waas other substances in the dairy (proteins), I concluded that the basic issue was one of absorption and bioavailiability.

So I set out to design the ultimate calcium delivery system. I looked at the data on everything that affects calcium absorption. It turned out that small amounts of sodium, protein, carbs and a few others affected it. When I put it all together, I came up with milk.

And I gave up on the project.

But the point was made, milk exists primarily as a calcium delivery system, it is nutritionally optimized towards such.

It wouldn't surprise me if the same went for red meat and iron. God knows what other co-factors and nutrients are present in red meat that make it such an ideal source of iron, zinc and the rest.

Citrus fruit probably contains other nutrients which maximize vitamin C absorption.

Clearly the anti-oxidant data showing that high fruit/veggie intakes have a different effect than isolated anti-oxidants do is supportive.

So that's the half-assed theory, here's the half-assed application.
At the very least, I think choosing whole foods is superior to pills. That's not the half-assed theory part.

If you must use pills (here's the half-assed part), I have this hunch that consuming it with some of the food that contains that nutrient (i.e. take your calcium pills with some type of dairy, take your Vitamin C with some orange juice) might improve the effect of the pill.

I have little direct data to support this but what amounts to circumstantial evidence leading me to believe it for the time being.

Last edited:

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just to pick out one micronutrient; vitamin e:

Alpha-tocopherol is the most biologically active form of vitamin E, and its natural form consists of one isomer. In contrast, synthetic alpha-tocopherol contains eight different isomers, of which only one (about 12 percent of the synthetic molecule) is identical to natural vitamin E. The other seven isomers range in potency from 21 percent to 90 percent of natural d-alpha-tocopherol.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads