• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bourbon.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nice! I just found a 1986 distillation of Mac 18.

My collection is embarrassingly huge.

Sipping on 4R 2012 Small Batch tonight...delicious!

The Promise of Hope is nice, though it doesn't taste much like a wheater to me, though in its smoothness I can see what you mean by comparing it to the ORVW 10. I like the ORVW10 very much this year...last years, not so much.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Really? I thought it was very much a wheated. I didn't get the bad reviews for 10. I thought it was delicious

Huntsman didn't you have a bar in your garage with hundreds of bottles?

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i know a few guys that go into the depths of Detroit. they find some crazy stuff like bottles from the 80s, but also some new(ish) stuff like parkers heritage 5th etc.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

i know a few guys that go into the depths of Detroit. they find some crazy stuff like bottles from the 80s, but also some new(ish) stuff like parkers heritage 5th etc.

Detroit would scare me. The closest I've come to Newark has been Elizabeth...and I've found cool stuff there. I can imagine what Newark holds...

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Huntsman didn't you have a bar in your garage with hundreds of bottles?

I think Rambo started the meme that I had a bar in the garage, nope, just cars. My old bar took up a wall of the den, though, and had just topped out a hair over 280 bottles, not including wine. I was rather proudest of the well, with three gins, two whiskies, brandy, cognac, vodka, Cointreau and Woodford in 1L or 1.75L, all on shallow shelves behind where the door opened. That was pretty awesome. Here's the last pic I took. Storage, the lamer modifiers, and dupes were below, with mixers and such:

Pretty much...but do it in bad neighborhoods.
I have been most lucky in neighborhoods that were nice, but took a dive in the last decade or so. NYI, have you ever been uncomfortable leaving places? I've been harangued twice, and was followed out of a shop by a guy who was yelling at me once.

~ H

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That is a nice collection. Didn't you also have a ton of mini bottles? Some pretty rare stuff too iirc

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a lot of minis -- largely inherited from my father who flew a lot in the '60s and collected them on flights. It you blow up that pic you can see them all in the foreground of the shelves. I had a goodly amount (to me) of rare things, especially when I was really collecting like 5 years ago. Still have some because I am reticent about opening bottles - Rit 25, Port Ellen, various other old scotches, my beloved old Campari, some decent cognac and armagnac. But these days the selection has really exploded, making the meaning of rare somewhat.....unclear. Especially with stuff like Pappy, which isn't actually rare, its just controlled in the face of largely ignorant demand.

These days I am largely into odd and high quality modifiers, and especially vermouths -- very inexpensive, fun to seek out, and great payback in terms of cocktails.

~ H

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have been most lucky in neighborhoods that were nice, but took a dive in the last decade or so. NYI, have you ever been uncomfortable leaving places? I've been harangued twice, and was followed out of a shop by a guy who was yelling at me once.

~ H

Just once...in Queens. Was like a scene from a bad movie...bunch of guys drinking 250 ml booze on the street next to a guy in a wheel chair...just talk as we left, nothing much else. There was a strong police presence there though, which may have saved us. I try not doing those places alone.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads