• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Borrelli shirts - really that good? Who really makes best shirts in world?

IrateCustomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been wondering where the Zegna dress shirts fall in line with the other notables. Are they somewhere between T&A and Canali? I found one at Nordstram's Rack last year and you could immediately tell the difference by the way the buttons were sewn on, but the measurements were crazy and the shirt was still priced at $95.

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For better RTW try Finamore. Excellent fabric, nice details, great shape to the body, obvious but subtle hand work. Their plain white Oxford Cloth Button Down, for example, is about $400 at DeCorato in San Francisco. By comparison there are numerous brand name shirts in SF stores for around $400. Neimans and other retailers have brands such as Prada and Brunello Cucinelli that don't have anywhere near the handwork, the quality of cloth, the buttons and especially the tailored fit that you will find with a Finamore.

If you want a regular go anywhere, do anything white OCBD get a slim cut all cotton one from Brooks Brothers for $75. But if you want one that is just a bit sharper, feels a tad better, has a overall neater, crisper look, go with the Finamore.

Ivon

Reaction score
Above Canali and standard British shirts, but below the top Italian makers. Doesn't look like any hand work is used, fabric is very mice, collar has a beautiful medium spread, but it may not be slim enough for some. I just grab them at semi annual sales and the dress shirt events at Rosen when I need some shirts. Usually I keep my suit jacket on almost all the time, in these situations, good dress shirt is important, but not a dealbreaker.

Can't walk around with a cheap slim dress shirt and cheap slim khakis like the juniors, that would be a compromise to my dignity.

cronicmole

Reaction score

For better RTW try Finamore. Excellent fabric, nice details, great shape to the body, obvious but subtle hand work. Their plain white Oxford Cloth Button Down, for example, is about $400 at DeCorato in San Francisco. By comparison there are numerous brand name shirts in SF stores for around $400. Neimans and other retailers have brands such as Prada and Brunello Cucinelli that don't have anywhere near the handwork, the quality of cloth, the buttons and especially the tailored fit that you will find with a Finamore.
If you want a regular go anywhere, do anything white OCBD get a slim cut all cotton one from Brooks Brothers for $75. But if you want one that is just a bit sharper, feels a tad better, has a overall neater, crisper look, go with the Finamore.

I hope you're not encouraging anybody to purchase a RTW Finamore shirt for $400,

Last edited:

steveoly

Reaction score

I have heard the new Borrelli shirts have plastic buttons :(

Yep. I know that the decline of Borrelli shirts has been discussed on more than one occasion. Any way, over the past few years I have acquired Borrelli shirts of numerous different "levels" - the good old stock - nicer stitching, fat MOP buttons, pretty long sleeves, high construction quality overall. Then there was a "newer" stock which had the thinner MOP buttons. I am no expert with stitching or construction, but these looked OK, but still the feel a bit cheaper or machine made that the older shirts. Then even more recently, I acquired a Borrelli shirt with...plastic buttons. The stitching def. seems all machine done. But I do like the fit. I don't know what retail is on these new ones, but they're not near the quality of the shirts 3-4 years ago.

erpet

Reaction score

Yep. I know that the decline of Borrelli shirts has been discussed on more than one occasion. Any way, over the past few years I have acquired Borrelli shirts of numerous different "levels" - the good old stock - nicer stitching, fat MOP buttons, pretty long sleeves, high construction quality overall. Then there was a "newer" stock which had the thinner MOP buttons. I am no expert with stitching or construction, but these looked OK, but still the feel a bit cheaper or machine made that the older shirts. Then even more recently, I acquired a Borrelli shirt with...plastic buttons. The stitching def. seems all machine done. But I do like the fit. I don't know what retail is on these new ones, but they're not near the quality of the shirts 3-4 years ago.

Funny. I bought three retail Borrellis last year and they were all good. MoP buttons, nice fabric and as much hand stitching as my older ones. I still have not come across a Borrelli with plastic buttons. To get the Borrellis with the magically thin and soft cloth you have to look for the Royal Collection and then they will almost cost as Kiton.

To give an opinion on the Zegna shirts as per the question above, I think the one I have fits in between Corneliani and Borrelli; nice buttons, O.K. cloth, all machine made.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have heard the new Borrelli shirts have plastic buttons :(

In all seriousness, I really doubt that they had plastic buttons.

All of the Borrelli shirts that I have seen over the past couple of years still have hand-stitched sleeveheads and the collar is still attached to the shirt by hand. The MoP buttons are thinner than in previous years but the buttons are still definitely, indubitably made of mother of pearl, no doubt at all.

Whilst I realise that a retailer can request that Borrelli make shirts of a particular level of finish, I don't think that Borrelli would make shirts with plastic buttons. As others have pointed out, at that level and with competition such as Finamore, Barba and so on, they just can't afford to have plastic buttons whilst the others have MoP.

intfxdx

Reaction score
I have Kiton, Borrelli, RLPL-Lorenzini, Charvet shirts... Kiton is the best. But i want to try Anna Matuozzo shirts..
I am thinking to visit Napoli soon. How much cost a Anna Matuozzo shirt ? You guys have any idea ? Do you think that it's better to get some Anna Matuozzo shirts or getting some kiton shirts on ebay or other stores in the price range of 180-230 ??

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads