• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheForeigner

Reaction score
My most recent acquisition, Carlos Santos “Field Boot” courtesy of the ever-excellent gentlemen at Cavour.
3E0FC126-D32F-45D9-8B61-EAC346DC20A9.jpeg

ino68

Reaction score
Thank you all for helpful your replies!

Out of my league, sorry...

That's something to consider, but the problem persists even with thick merino socks. Furthermore, with thicker socks width becomes increasingly a problem.

That's some workaround! However, I think I'd feel stupid using bands as a permanent solution. My feet are low volume and I usually have to compensate that with inserts but unfortunately there isn't as elegant solution for the shaft. I really like the Coniston and will check if those are available locally! In fact, they're very similar to these meermins which I recently purchased but are waiting to be returned for the ankle fit issue.

That's what I may end up with... Although those pictured are gorgeous, I just feel bals or derbies are more boots. Some chukkas I've tried on also have similar issue with top line.

I have the same problem, have you tried Vass?

I ordered a Valway with a special request for a narrow shaft, and while they refused to make them to measurements, the boots arrived with shafts narrow enough that they fit basically perfectly.

I also have a pair of C&J Conistons that seem to have a naturally narrow cut, unlike other brands where the shaft ends up swimming around your leg.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@kilgoretrout not sure if it's been suggested, but give jodhpurs a shot. The cinch on most models in around the ankle or higher, and you can go as tight as you want. On one of my models I made an extra hole in the strap for more tightness.

In fact, J Fitzpatrick's model (and I believe on one JL as well), there are two straps, giving you more control over where you want the tightness to be.

WhereNext

Reaction score
I am looking for some help, and apologize if this is not the appropriate location for questions. I have lurked for a long time an appreciate the knowledge on this forum.

The question:

Now that AE has discontinued the First Avenue, I am looking for a similar style boot in the same price range. I travel a lot, and for short trips, I am looking for a boot that can be worn with a suit or jeans (reading previous post I can see that statement may cause angst). My goal is to minimize what I have to bring with me. Also, since this is for traveling, I need a boot without a steel shank to make it through the TSA PreCheck metal detector.

I appreciate any recommendations you can provide.

Added an image and AE's price was $350 when they were sold I believe.

allenedmonds-shoes-first-avenue-1194-walnut.jpg

Check out J. Fitzpatrick (who is also an affiliate vendor here).

bsarosi

Reaction score
My most recent acquisition, Carlos Santos “Field Boot” courtesy of the ever-excellent gentlemen at Cavour. View attachment 1099878

Lovely boots! Don’t mean to be a stickler for details but these appear to balmoral boots instead of field boots. My understanding is field boots are open-laced whereas these are closed so they’d be classified as balmoral boots but maybe these are uniquely named. Either way, they’re fantastic!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads