• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, youโ€™ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Need some help visualising last shape.

Are the Viberg 2030 and the C&J 325 similar? If not, what C&J last is the 2030 most similar to? For other comparisons, I have the Trickerโ€™s 4497s, and the EG 202 as well if that helps.
As far as being almond toe and higher volume/wide lasts, I'd say yes. However, the application of the lasts are very different as the aesthetic between the two companies is not aligned

Northants bloke

Reaction score
My go to rain and snowy day boots. Cheaney Pennine 2. Considering how nicely these are made it surprises me that Cheaney is under represented on this forum.

View attachment 2087909
Cheaney thread

Gomers

Reaction score
They look solid Sir. Upright and sturdy
I've had my Rannochs for a couple of months now and I'm still quite blown away at just how capable they are. As you can see from Bernd's pictures, they can be paired quite elegantly with appropriate attire.

The absolutely excel at the rough-stuff though. Soaking wet conditions, mud, rocky and uneven surfaces, they are a revelation to be quite honest.

But the crowning glory for me is the exceptional comfort. The Rannoch's can feel a tad stiff at first; the Zug is very thick and the high-leg design does feel slightly restrictive for driving but the overall comfort while walking is outstanding. Mine have not once felt challenging to wear and feet have remained totally dry.

I got mine for quite a good price but even at RRP, they are totally worth it IMO. Brilliant boots.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Like a hurricane โ€ฆ๐ŸŽต๐ŸŽต
IMG_3037.jpeg

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now I've gotten used to thicker leather, these Iron Rangers are getting easier to wear.

IMG_5510.jpeg

bemk

Reaction score
I've had my Rannochs for a couple of months now and I'm still quite blown away at just how capable they are. As you can see from Bernd's pictures, they can be paired quite elegantly with appropriate attire.

The absolutely excel at the rough-stuff though. Soaking wet conditions, mud, rocky and uneven surfaces, they are a revelation to be quite honest.

But the crowning glory for me is the exceptional comfort. The Rannoch's can feel a tad stiff at first; the Zug is very thick and the high-leg design does feel slightly restrictive for driving but the overall comfort while walking is outstanding. Mine have not once felt challenging to wear and feet have remained totally dry.

I got mine for quite a good price but even at RRP, they are totally worth it IMO. Brilliant boots.

This made me smile, thank you! ๐Ÿป

When I was considering the Rannoch way back I did a search and found a review on reddit and saw our buddy @Crafty Cumbrian commenting there, he said:

โ€žTheyโ€™re built to last an Armageddon or maybe just a plague and a lunatic running the free world with launch codes (too soon?)!

I have a pair and theyโ€™re smart enough for a pub lunch with denim and hardy enough for a hike. I was thinking if you needed three pairs of boots for ever this must be one of them? [...]โ€œ

After reading this and checking the size with Crafty, I instantly pushed the button.

I always enjoy how owners of the Rannoch appreciate this boot as I so do just the same. It's such a serious boot in terms of functions, I adore its totally down to earth no-nonsense execution and find it a steal for the price.
It's not only the bellows tongue along the high leg and the commando sole and the water-resistant leather and Veldtschoen construction, it is also that the lovely pliable leather is thicker than those on my other boots. When it's cold, it really makes a difference.

On New Year's Eve 2009 (or Hogmanay as 'the friends of the Rannoch' are entitled to say ๐Ÿคก ) we were celebrating the beginning of the new decade in London the whole night outside down at the river bank and man, was it cold that winter. If I were to do this again, the Rannoch is the one boot I would take with me.

And while it certainly ain't no dressboot, I think it's damn sexy:

231212_22038-Hoggs-of-Fife-Rannoch-Boot.jpg

Last edited:

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When I was considering the Rannoch way back I did a search and found a review on reddit and saw our buddy @Crafty Cumbrian commenting there, he said:

โ€žTheyโ€™re built to last an Armageddon or maybe just a plague and a lunatic running the free world with launch codes (too soon?)!

I have a pair and theyโ€™re smart enough for a pub lunch with denim and hardy enough for a hike. I was thinking if you needed three pairs of boots for ever this must be one of them? [...]โ€œ

After reading this and checking the size with Crafty, I instantly pushed the button.

I always enjoy how owners of the Rannoch appreciate this boot as I so do just the same. It's such a serious boot in terms of functions, I adore its totally down to earth no-nonsense execution and find it a steal for the price.
It's not only the bellows tongue along the high leg and the commando sole and the water-resistant leather and Veldtschoen construction, it is also that the lovely pliable leather is thicker than those on my other boots. When it's cold, it really makes a difference.

On New Year's Eve 2009 (or Hogmanay as 'the friends of the Rannoch' are entitled to say ๐Ÿคก ) we were celebrating the beginning of the new decade in London the whole night outside down at the river bank and man, was it cold that winter. If I were to do this again, the Rannoch is the one boot I would take with me.

View attachment 2088891
This is the boot I wish my lovely Pennine 2 might have been more like, but alasโ€ฆ. Mostly I wanted this pattern on that bootโ€ฆ. I only found out about the Rannoch well after I had gotten the Pennine and the funny part being that Cheaney is the one doing the making. ;-)

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 2088891

What last are the Rannochs on by the way? 4436 like Cheaney Pennine?

bemk

Reaction score
What last are the Rannochs on by the way? 4436 like Cheaney Pennine?

No, it says 12226/G. Obviously this is the declaration of the last. There is a black Rannoch on ebay described as an MTO pair, which shows 4436/F at that position.

Rannoch_last-12226.jpg

Fwiw, here is the Rannoch next to a Stow.

230128_16751_Rannoch_vs_Stow.jpg

Here I leveled both boots at the toe:

230128_16751_Rannoch_vs_Stow_toecap.jpg

And a top-view:

230128_16755_Rannoch_vs_Stow_topview.jpg

Last edited:

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, it says 12226/G. Obviously this is the declaration of the last. There is a black Rannoch on ebay described as an MTO pair, which shows 4436/F at that position.

View attachment 2089369

Fwiw, here is the Rannoch next to a Stow.

View attachment 2089391

Here I leveled both boots at the toe:

View attachment 2089393

And a top-view:

View attachment 2089395

Thanks for the comparison pictures.

That last number looks unfamiliar to me, and there is no mention of it on the Cheaney website site either. Maybe it is a custom last just for the Hoggs of Fife. They do look similar to Cheaney's 4436 last though, maybe a tad longer.

20231213_002423.jpg

bemk

Reaction score
That last number looks unfamiliar to me, and there is no mention of it on the Cheaney website site either. Maybe it is a custom last just for the Hoggs of Fife. They do look similar to Cheaney's 4436 last though, maybe a tad longer.

I have seen some statements, that the Rannoch was done by Alfred Sargent before production moved to Cheaney.

And that this probably did go along with this difference introduced:

โ€žHowever, the boot changed slightly in the fourteen years between purchases. The new boots have a higher tongue, which is fully enclosed, providing deeper waterproofing, enabling almost mid-calf wading without getting soggy socks. They were also less stiff when new but in all other respects they are identical and just as comfortable and hard-wearing.โ€œ
Source: https://www.vintageguns.co.uk/magazine/the-rannoch-boot

Also I have read that the Rannoch looks more similar to the Veldtschoen Boots from Alfred Sargent, the Selkirk and the Kelso, than to the Pennine, which I think was mostly about the double-row stitching pattern at the side.
However, none of these AS boots nor the Pennine had or have speed-hooks.

Probably the last originates from one of the many very similar looking, old military boots like the SADF (South African Defence Force) boots or do a search for 'John Brocklehurst Veldtschoen'.

Last edited:

Humpty_Dumpty_Rises

Reaction score
I have seen some statements, that the Rannoch was done by Alfred Sargent before production moved to Cheaney.

And that this probably did go along with this difference introduced:

โ€žHowever, the boot changed slightly in the fourteen years between purchases. The new boots have a higher tongue, which is fully enclosed, providing deeper waterproofing, enabling almost mid-calf wading without getting soggy socks. They were also less stiff when new but in all other respects they are identical and just as comfortable and hard-wearing.โ€œ
Source: https://www.vintageguns.co.uk/magazine/the-rannoch-boot

Also I have read that the Rannoch looks more similar to the Veldtschoen Boots from Alfred Sargent, the Selkirk and the Kelso, than to the Pennine, which I think was mostly about the double-row stitching pattern at the side.
However, none of these AS boots nor the Pennine had or have speed-hooks.

Probably the last originates from one of the many very similar looking, old military boots like the SADF (South African Defence Force) boots or do a search for 'John Brocklehurst Veldtschoen'.
I hereby declare @bemk as the king of rannoch ๐Ÿ‘‘ from this day after. All rise. All kneel. And all declare allegiance to King Rannoch as the one, true and only sovereign. God save the King

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads