• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

KotaB

Reaction score
Hello all. I bought a pair Allen Edmonds Tate chelsea boots which I enjoy immensely. Had to go with a 9 D because of my high instep. I was wondering what other boots fit like the A.E. Tate or if I should just order 9 D's any time I want to add to my collection. Not many quality shoe stores in my area. Had to travel to Dallas for the A.E. Store. Which on a side note was a pretty great experience speaking with a man so knowledgeable about his profession.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I bought a pair Allen Edmonds Tate chelsea boots which I enjoy immensely. Had to go with a 9 D because of my high instep. I was wondering what other boots fit like the A.E. Tate or if I should just order 9 D's any time I want to add to my collection. Not many quality shoe stores in my area. Had to travel to Dallas for the A.E. Store. Which on a side note was a pretty great experience speaking with a man so knowledgeable about his profession.
Did the folks at the AE store give you your Brannock?

To answer your question, even AE boots vary in fit, because the form they use to shape the shoes/boots (called a "last") varies from model to model (though some use the same last). It isn't uncommon to go a half-size down or even a width up depending on the last used on a particular shoe. The shape of your foot can also affect sizing

I'm a dead-solid 12D Brannock, and have a high arch and high volume foot. Sizes in my closet that fit well currently include: 12D, 12E, 11.5D, 11.5E. The material the shoe is made from (e.g. suede vs. leather, calf vs. shell cordovan) can affect sizing.

Net: It's not universal, but there are some great resources here at SF. Several manufacturers have dedicated threads here with some really knowledgeable folks who can help you "translate", but most will want to know your Brannock if possible.

Cheers!

nishant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dark Brown Conistons ..

IMG_5001.JPG

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Did the folks at the AE store give you your Brannock?

To answer your question, even AE boots vary in fit, because the form they use to shape the shoes/boots (called a "last") varies from model to model (though some use the same last). It isn't uncommon to go a half-size down or even a width up depending on the last used on a particular shoe. The shape of your foot can also affect sizing

I'm a dead-solid 12D Brannock, and have a high arch and high volume foot. Sizes in my closet that fit well currently include: 12D, 12E, 11.5D, 11.5E. The material the shoe is made from (e.g. suede vs. leather, calf vs. shell cordovan) can affect sizing.

Net: It's not universal, but there are some great resources here at SF. Several manufacturers have dedicated threads here with some really knowledgeable folks who can help you "translate", but most will want to know your Brannock if possible.

Cheers!

There really is no substitute for personally trying on shoes or boots especially when trying on a Last for the very first time. However besides knowing your Brannock it also helps to establish your size in other fairly known Lasts from various shoemakers as this will help as well when trying to determine what size on what Last may fit you using guidance provided by other users. Your Brannock size does not give you the full picture but it is an important piece of the puzzle. Guidance from those retailers who's business is mainly selling men's shoes can also be extremely helpful. I found having a medium width foot to very beneficial but not all people are blessed with that specific characteristic. In the long run for me I used a number of these items to include a bit of luck which led me to being fairly successful when ordering shoes and boots over the internet.

nishant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More so than the Islay in the same color? I may have chosen poorly...

The leather on Islay is thicker than the one on Conistons. To me, Consitons are more pliable and hence more comfortable.

The sizing matters as well and I think I should not have sized down on Islay when I did. They still fit well but with non-boot socks only.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are crazy good .. aren’t they ? One of the best GMTOs I have been a part of.

Yes! And although I would probably never use them as such, they feel like they are probably my most substantial boots I own and could take a beating in the harshest of conditions. Built like tanks.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EMILLY