• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did it work though? Are you now knee deep in Big Macs?
Right?…. I now have this unreasonably strong compulsion to have diarrhea.
691040F5-05C8-4120-BBF6-AE92F3185808.gif

heathenist

Reaction score
I stopped in the shoe repair store down the street today to get a brannock measurement and it makes no sense at all. My overall length measures at 9.5 almost exactly, maybe a hair over. My arch length however is a 10.5, pushing 11. The width is a C (almost a B if you go by the arch length). Everything I read online says you should go by the larger of the two measurements, but that arch length is overall more important.

Because I thrift so often, I have a lot of different boots, and have tried on even more. I own 5 pairs of Red Wings in various heritage styles. While I can wear some of those in a size 9 with an insert, I’m firmly an 8.5D. From what I’ve read most people size down a half size to a full size from their Brannock, which if I did that and used the arch length, I would still be swimming in a size 9.5. I have exactly one pair of boots that are a size 10, some Frye service boots that were given to me. Without an insert I can’t wear them.

I think the problem might just be that I have a very low volume foot. They are narrow, and while I have a very high arch, my instep seems pretty low. So when I try on a size 10 boot, even if the length might be close to right, they always feel too big because I have such dainty little feet (an Ex always told me I had dancer’s feet haha).

Am I buying boots too small? What is the solution here? Keep doing what I’m doing because it seems fine? Lots of people focus on the bend point in points needing to line up with your feet or it could mess up your feet down the line. Should I be buying larger sizes and just using inserts? Granted, I do this as well. I have probably 5 pairs of boots that are too big without inserts (because I thrifted them), but seem to be fine with the inserts.

What do you think boot aficionados?

Adhazem

Reaction score
I stopped in the shoe repair store down the street today to get a brannock measurement and it makes no sense at all. My overall length measures at 9.5 almost exactly, maybe a hair over. My arch length however is a 10.5, pushing 11. The width is a C (almost a B if you go by the arch length). Everything I read online says you should go by the larger of the two measurements, but that arch length is overall more important.

Because I thrift so often, I have a lot of different boots, and have tried on even more. I own 5 pairs of Red Wings in various heritage styles. While I can wear some of those in a size 9 with an insert, I’m firmly an 8.5D. From what I’ve read most people size down a half size to a full size from their Brannock, which if I did that and used the arch length, I would still be swimming in a size 9.5. I have exactly one pair of boots that are a size 10, some Frye service boots that were given to me. Without an insert I can’t wear them.

I think the problem might just be that I have a very low volume foot. They are narrow, and while I have a very high arch, my instep seems pretty low. So when I try on a size 10 boot, even if the length might be close to right, they always feel too big because I have such dainty little feet (an Ex always told me I had dancer’s feet haha).

Am I buying boots too small? What is the solution here? Keep doing what I’m doing because it seems fine? Lots of people focus on the bend point in points needing to line up with your feet or it could mess up your feet down the line. Should I be buying larger sizes and just using inserts? Granted, I do this as well. I have probably 5 pairs of boots that are too big without inserts (because I thrifted them), but seem to be fine with the inserts.

That’s a tough one to answer honestly. I personally with a slightly wider than average but very flat foot would get killed if I bought the length Brannock. The arch one is the probably a good mean value of all the sizes I have. It varies from manufacturer/workshop to the other. I don’t know if there’s a way to find out what “your” answer in this situation without trial and error. Allen Edmonds is a good place to start. If you have a store close to your town I would go there and have them try different size boots with you until something clicks.

When trying on the perfect size pair from a brand, look for that “swoosh” when you slide your foot in. It’s the air escaping around your ankle due to your foot pushing it out. The leather should feel snug around your foot, like a wetsuit.

The exception to that is that you should have more room around your toes to wiggle. You want minimal to no heel slip (up-down) and no significant pinching around your toes. Also, you don’t want excessive pressure around your heel.

FWIW I’m 11 D/E Brannock. I’m 11 E Allen Edmonds Welted 65, 10.5 D Alden Trubalance, 10 E Viberg 2030, 10 EE Whites boots. Not one of those sizes is wrong for me. It just all depends on the last and my anatomy.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That’s a tough one to answer honestly. I personally with a slightly wider than average but very flat foot would get killed if I bought the length Brannock. The arch one is the probably a good mean value of all the sizes I have. It varies from manufacturer/workshop to the other. I don’t know if there’s a way to find out what “your” answer in this situation without trial and error. Allen Edmonds is a good place to start. If you have a store close to your town I would go there and have them try different size boots with you until something clicks.

When trying on the perfect size pair from a brand, look for that “swoosh” when you slide your foot in. It’s the air escaping around your ankle due to your foot pushing it out. The leather should feel snug around your foot, like a wetsuit.

The exception to that is that you should have more room around your toes to wiggle. You want minimal to no heel slip (up-down) and no significant pinching around your toes. Also, you don’t want excessive pressure around your heel.

FWIW I’m 11 D/E Brannock. I’m 11 E Allen Edmonds Welted 65, 10.5 D Alden Trubalance, 10 E Viberg 2030, 10 EE Whites boots. Not one of those sizes is wrong for me. It just all depends on the last and my anatomy.

I also own footwear in a variety of sizes. I don't worry about the markings. If they fit me comfortably, I will wear them.

I generally agree with @Adhazem

My ankle has to be snug, with no slip. No pinching areas or fitting that causes pain. Foot doesn't move around. And my toes can wiggle a bit.

I have footwear in the following sizes: 8.5ee, 8.5eee, 8eeeee, 9e, 9ee, 9eee, 9.5D, 9.e.

No rhyme or reason as to which pairs fits better. My Brannock size is 8.5E/EE but I wear orthotics so most dress shoes I am 8.5eee to accommodate them.

Blastwice

Reaction score

As they say a picture is worth a thousand (or more) words.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads