• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boldly facing the balding issue

the_sulks

Reaction score
I noted recently my hair started to recede on the top of my head. I luckily still don't have a bold spot but hair is not that dense as they used to be. It's a pretty disappointing news. How should one address this issue? What could you recommend?

Here are my guesses in no particular order:

1. Add some supplements or vitamins to diet.
Comment. I doubt it helps.

2. Use some special shampoos that can help hair to be stronger and grow intensely.
Comment. Are there such shampoos in real life? I doubt. I don't think shampoos do any good except keeping your hair clean.

3. Undergo a hair transplantation.
Comment. I consider it as a measure of last resort. It is probably pretty expensive and painful.

4 Get a bald haircut.
Comment. This scenario is quite possible but my head's shape is not ideal. So, I'm not sure how good it's going to look (but definitely better than with the bold spot though).

5. Grow a relatively long hair on the top of my head. I guess long hair will mask the low hair density.
Comment. I hate long hairs and combs but this scenario is possible too.

Last edited:

Sunnydale

Reaction score
My hair has been thinning on top for a number of years. When i changed my diet, avoided grains plus also began taking a few supplements such as vitamin D3 and fish oil, I believe the thinning slowed down. I didn't seem to be shedding as I had before. The hair was still falling out though.

I'm laughing about mentioning this, but a little over a month ago I bought a grounded pillow case. I bought it in hopes of improving my sleep. It worked with that, my sleep is better. I'm thinking the grounded pillow case might have my hair growing again. I was mentioning it to my barber yesterday. This is likely wishful thinking on my part though. I hadn't read any mention of grounding helping with improving thinning hair. Imagine I should have a better idea after 6 months or longer if the pillow case is helping.

This is what I bought:

http://www.earthing.com/product_p/pwck.htm

imhotep

Reaction score
collect your first urine of the morning. mix it with equal part of crisco shortening and add a few sprinkles of lawn fertilizer. apply to scalp generously and allow to sit for 4 hours daily.

the_sulks

Reaction score

When i changed my diet, avoided grains plus also began taking a few supplements such as vitamin D3 and fish oil, I believe the thinning slowed down. I didn't seem to be shedding as I had before. The hair was still falling out though.

Why did you decide to get rid of grains? What carbohydrates did you choose to eat instead?

I'm laughing about mentioning this, but a little over a month ago I bought a grounded pillow case.

I sure don't believe some pillow can help but just curios what the heck grounded pillow case is. Does it have some wire you need to connect to say the heating radiator? Lol

the_sulks

Reaction score

collect your first urine of the morning. mix it with equal part of crisco shortening and add a few sprinkles of lawn fertilizer. apply to scalp generously and allow to sit for 4 hours daily.

This joke is not funny.

Last edited:

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no idea why men go berserk with weird folk remedies when it comes to hair loss.

I started thinning a little at 24. I'm 29 now. I started taking generic Propecia, using nizoral 2% shampoo, and it's stopped dead in it's tracks. My hair is noticeably more thick than other men my age and I dont have any ED issues. Just go online and order that stuff tonight.

Minoxidil also works, but it breaks me out.

Sunnydale

Reaction score

I sure don't believe some pillow can help but just curios what the heck grounded pillow case is. Does it have some wire you need to connect to say the heating radiator? Lol

Well, a grounded pillow is as it sounds, as with electrical equipment that is grounded, the pillow has some electrical threads in it that can be plugged into the ground socket (the round hole that doesn't have power coming through) or I suppose connected to a radiator. It helps with electrical pollution in rooms, which has been linked with thyroid issues in some. Possibly that is why I might be seeing hair improvement. It's different I realize, but surprisingly works with improved sleep in particular.

"The Newest Approach to Fix Your Thyroid"

http://www.annlouise.com/blog/2012/10/04/the-newest-approach-to-fix-your-thyroid/

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, consume enough vitamins and minerals (especially magnesium) and try Nizoral and maybe a zinc shampoo (which have some researched efficacy against hair loss). The website has an article about hair loss.

the_sulks

Reaction score

using nizoral 2% shampoo

Good to know. Thanks. Could you suggest any brands of shampoo I should buy?

I googled nizoral. It seems there is a brand called this way but the Nizoral shampoo is against dandruff.

Last edited:

Aneil4lom

Reaction score
I noted recently my hair started to recede on the top of my head. I luckily still don't have a bold spot but hair is not that dense as they used to be. It's a pretty disappointing news. How should one address this issue? What could you recommend?

2. Use some special shampoos that can help hair to be stronger and grow intensely.
Comment. Are there such shampoos in real life? I doubt. I don't think shampoos do any good except keeping your hair clean.

Comment. I consider it as a measure of last resort. It is probably pretty expensive and painful.

4 Get a bald haircut.
Comment. This scenario is quite possible but my head's shape is not ideal. So, I'm not sure how good it's going to look (but definitely better than with the bold spot though).

5. Grow a relatively long hair on the top of my head. I guess long hair will mask the low hair density.

My barber advised me to use fish oil tabs and amino acid tabs. Fish oil tabs got me healthier looking hair but I can't say I noticed anything from the amino acids.
I never really saw results from using special shampoo but I know tons of people who claim it works for them,
I got results from Rogaine but they always reverted back to baldness as soon as I stopped using.

My problem with maintaining a Rogain supply was that it isn't sold anywhere in the country I live in so I always had to travel abroad to buy it.

Right now I just maintain a low haircut so that the balding on top barely shows. This also saves me time in the morning and money that would have been spent on haircuts and styling products so it's not so bad.

Edwardmckee

Reaction score
I say these tips are quite effective specially for those who are initially experiencing hair loss or baldness. Also a good diet will help a lot in coping this issue. Proper sleep, lots of water and proper exercise are also some of important points that help a lot in hair loss and baldness.

paddlmike

Reaction score
Hey,men,I was mentioning it to my barber yesterday. This is likely wishful thinking on my part though. I hadn't read any mention of grounding helping with improving thinning hair.
aognxpng

Last edited:

Sunnydale

Reaction score

Hey,men,I was mentioning it to my barber yesterday. This is likely wishful thinking on my part though. I hadn't read any mention of grounding helping with improving thinning hair.
aognxpng

I take it not liking the grounded pillow idea either? :) The idea in part with grounding is that is helps with protecting from EMFs or electrical pollution. Doing a google search there are a number of hits on EMF pollution and hair loss. I know, it's different, but possibly the idea is helping me. Time will tell.

One of the first search engine finds.

"EMF disturbances and hair loss"

http://www.hairgrowthuk.co.uk/blog/index.php/emf-disturbances-and-hair-loss/

rababe

Reaction score

4 Get a bald haircut.

Hi,

Getting healthy and shiny hair can surely add your charm! However, hair loss has affects women quite a lot. Thinning hair often comes from simple aging or hereditary factors, but often caused by hormonal imbalances, malnutrition, certain allergies, chemical pollutions, or even physical and emotional stress. Use of wrong hair care products and poor hair routines may also do harm for your hair. Today, we would like to share a few tips with you to allow you recover beauty with 2ndhair fibers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads