• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blue Suit Too Light For Work?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No to the first question and I would not expect to see someone wearing this at any law firm that worked for me.

HughJ

Reaction score
It's a bit much for either setting, IMHO. I saw a guy wearing the same or similar at a wedding last summer and it really stood out, especially outdoors.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Man I must be really out there. I see no problem with either, though the first may be too bright for more conservative law firms. The second I don't see any issue. But I'm far from one of MC's more conservative dressers.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
'Law firms' (note that that's two words, not one) vary considerably in dress code. Don't expect a Wall Street firm specializing in investment banking law to dress the same as a small town firm specializing in divorce law.

It would be helpful if the original poster could refine the question a bit, taking such differences into account.

Cheers,

Ac

Last edited:

raptinrumin

Reaction score
Great point. This would be full service firm located in midtown Manhattan, with investment banks included in its clientele.

TOstyle

Reaction score
I've worked at both styles of employers. You might get some wayward looks in an elevator, but nothing from those you work with. If it was lime green or pink or something sure - but you are completely within the realm of doable with this blue.

brokencycle

Reaction score
I agree. It depends on the firm. The most conservative firms, maybe not for an associate. For almost all firms including most of the AMLAW 200, yes it would work.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great point. This would be full service firm located in midtown Manhattan, with investment banks included in its clientele.

Well, Suit Supply's cuts might be too fashion-forward for the most conservative of law firms in that location and business (the issue isn't the color). Are you currently employed there? If so, what do other people in a similar position wear?

If not, would Brook's Brothers be within your budget? They have a long association with New York law firms and bankers, and would be fine for a church (or other) wedding.

Cheers,

Ac

Last edited:

Vasco

Reaction score
I do prefer the second suit supply version better. Will probably be a bit more conservative and appropriate in the firm.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads