• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black t-shirts

NYCDan

Reaction score
The point being; everyone else has also posted T-shirts over $15, and being that I wear Gucci ones, I thought I may pass the recomendation.

When I replied to your post, you were the first one who mentioned a shirt that clearly did not answer what A Harris was looking for.  It looked like a personal dig, that he was limiting himself to $15.  It didn't appear to add anything to the discussion.  No offense intended.
And again I ask you; who is Avnish?
Do you not prefer to be called by your first name?  I was just trying to be cordial.  I will stick to Mr. Kalra.

kalra2411

Reaction score
The point being; everyone else has also posted T-shirts over $15, and being that I wear Gucci ones, I thought I may pass the recomendation.
When I replied to your post, you were the first one who mentioned a shirt that clearly did not answer what A Harris was looking for. Â It looked like a personal dig, that he was limiting himself to $15. Â It didn't appear to add anything to the discussion. Â No offense intended.
And again I ask you; who is Avnish?
Do you not prefer to be called by your first name? Â I was just trying to be cordial. Â I will stick to Mr. Kalra.
First part okay. Second part, as you may or may not have realised, I have now given up trying to tell a group of people, who I do not even know, that I am Lakshmi Mittal, if however, you do not wish to belive - that is of course your choice, but please however refrain from calling me a name that is not my own, that too - it being the name of a person that I do know, causing great insult to me and Avnish.

SwaG

Reaction score
HRH Kalra... im surprised to hear that you purchase your black t-shirts "off the rack," Â i was sure you had them bespoke from the finest fabric out there - carefully brushed off the underbelly of the rare andean escorial tit mouse by the tender hands of a 12 year old girl... please do tell me you use them for your pantaloones...
tounge.gif
To add to Avnish Harris' discussion. . .if you have a filenes basement/tjmaxx or what not in your area, you can usually find black t-shirts for less than $15. Â By me they carry CK, Polo, Nautica and 2xist. . .buy one from each and see which ones you like best.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wow guys, you really came through. I'll check out a few options and report back.

SwaG

Reaction score
just curious, would you go with 100% cotton, or shirts with a little strech?

HRHAndrew

Reaction score
just curious, would you go with 100% cotton, or shirts with a little strech?
I find that I lilke the ones that are 90% cotton, and 10% lycra, or something in that area.

JFK

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply, but if you're still looking, L.L.Bean has a very nice ring-spun jersey T (available in black) for $12 here

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
those llbeans have a nice color range.

the sleeves look kindof wide: do you know if they flap around, or are they fairly fitted?

also, what's the conventional wisdom regarding 'tall' sizes? i'm 6'2"-ish, and although i've mostly worn regular sized t-shirts, i'm wondering if there's something i've been missing with the 'talls'. i don't want the thing to look like a dress though.

/andrew

Joe G

Reaction score
Count me as another who really likes the Gap's t-shirts, though I can't say I've ever bought a black cotton T from anyone. (Outside of formalwear I have very little black at all in my wardrobe.)

I don't know if they're available in your area, but a month or so ago I found an outlet that was selling Valentino Intimate tees for EUR8 a pop in several colours. (High street price is EUR30ea.) Though they are not 100% cotton (95% cotton/5% some sort of plastic), they feel wonderful in the hand and against the skin, so I cleared out their stocks of white, camel, grey, and Venetian blue in sizes 52 and 54, the former to wear as undershirts and the latter to wear when I don't need to do anything important.

Peace,

JG

Peace.

Brian SD

Reaction score
A Harris - American Apparel are HIGHLY recommended by me, from the "Standard American" line. They are well-fitted, they last forever, are brilliantly soft, and they are made in L.A., not Indonesia. For plain color tees, American Apparel is the only choice (unless, of course, you are spending designer prices&#33
wink.gif

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Andrew,

My suggestion is Jockey. I was hesitant at first, thinking the quality would be low at best, but I was pleasantly surprised.

They are meant to be worn as undershirts or sleepshirts, but work very well as t-shirts. The length is perfect, the fabric has a nice light shine to it, they are soft, and fit perfectly. After a few washings, they are still very dark.

They can be had in either V-neck or Crew neck. Surprisingly, they are also made in the USA. I got mine at TJ Maxx for $12.99 for a 3-pack, but normal retail price is only $21 for the 3-pack. At that price, they are practically disposable.

Zubberah

Reaction score
I also go for Bonds raglan sleeves black tees - great stuff in plain or ribbed with crew and v-necks. Got stacks of them and they all fit well and snug.

To really get something beautiful - checkout D&G and Versace VJC - great slim silhouettes with 5-10% elastane - therefore tighter - I've had mine for over 6 years from both D&G and Versace and still jet black after repeated washings and still 100% in fit with no sags etc. But cost A$100+ but feel like silk....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads