• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black suit poll

Do you wear a black suit to work?

• Yes

Votes: 39 23.2%
  • No

Votes: 109 64.9%
  • Outside of the office

Votes: 30 17.9%

• Total voters

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear one to work b/c black/navy/charcoal are suits suggested for the workplace. I can occasionally get away with a grey suit. Although I enjoy the fit of my black suit, I did not invest a lot of money into it and just choose a black suit that looks stylish because I would not wear it outside of the workplace. Although it looks nice, I think black is overused and you are limited to what you can wear.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I believe younger guys tend to wear black because it's cool and trendy right now... just like slim fit shirts, pants, and suits.
+1. I think a lot of younger guys gravitate to the black suit because some celebrity they admire/worship wears one. They don't stop to think that only short while ago said celebrity was as yet undiscovered and was in no way thought to be a style icon. Ultimately it's style without a lot of thought behind it ... it's style without content.

Last edited:

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

caktaylor

Reaction score
I was at one of the local Macy's this morning. (Don't worry, I didn't purchase anything.) While there, I saw/overheard a father (maybe mid-40s) buying his teenage son his first suit. The father was incredibly excited about the black suit that he found for his son. So much so that he got one for himself, too. The son actually preferred a charcoal suit, but ended up with a black one. Maybe that is why so many young people own black suits. Over-bearing dads.

lenahan

Reaction score

I was at one of the local Macy's this morning. (Don't worry, I didn't purchase anything.) While there, I saw/overheard a father (maybe mid-40s) buying his teenage son his first suit. The father was incredibly excited about the black suit that he found for his son. So much so that he got one for himself, too. The son actually preferred a charcoal suit, but ended up with a black one. Maybe that is why so many young people own black suits. Over-bearing dads.

or overbearing mothers. The truth is that like so many of the rules of dress, the black suit rule has been eroded. Hell, even I wear one, and I wear a hat and sock garters. My grandfather used to say that one must have a hat for business. While my grandfather was well known as a stylish man, my father and his brothers simply do not care; there is a generational change when it comes to dress. Some of it is good; most of it I abhor. But black suits are here to stay. Fundamentally, most people where suits infrequently, only to weddings and funerals. Wearing black is de rigeur at the latter, and acceptable at the former (unless it is a summer wedding, but don't get me started on those). So long as there is a demand, tailors and stores will supply it.

Texastyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In college I joined an academic organization that required a black suit. They claimed that it was the most professional color :confused:. Needless to say, that is how I ended up with my abortion of a first suit.

Last edited:

Verniza

Reaction score

In college I joined an academic organization that required a black suit. They claimed that it was the most professional color :confused:. Needless to say, that is how I ended up with my abortion of a first suit.

Yeah, my academic institution taught all of us(Business students btw) to wear black suits, black pants, black ties, black shoes, black belt and white shirts. Essentially wear what you would to a funeral to an interview/meeting.

But needless to say being me, I rebelled and got a navy suit because black was just not me.

I always felt black suits were too boring.

marblehouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can people please stop bringing up this idiotic non-dilemma (which has been covered ad nauseum) ? I'd rather posters hijack this forum to debate whether chocolate or vanilla ice cream is more birthday appropriate,

Last edited:

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can people please stop bringing up this idiotic non-dilemma (which has been covered ad nauseum) ? I'd rather posters hijack this forum to debate whether chocolate or vanilla ice cream is more birthday appropriate,

Obviously chocolate is the appropriate choice.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd love to invite Vanilla Ice to my birthday party.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads