• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best way to protect myself and the GF when police are useless?

Korben

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wallcloud
Did someone say gun yet? My vote is a gun.

would be my vote too. but he is in China, right?

Sucks missing out on that whole first amendment thing...

Other than that if you can get pepper spray, it really is terrible and will stop anyone. Easy to carry quick and you won't kill the guy.... The real question is can you carry it and fill like you have testicles?

videocrew

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Korben
Sucks missing out on that whole first amendment thing...
While China is notorious for not allowing freedom of speech, religion, assembly, or the press, it hardly seems relevant here.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if it's been said yet.

Do you have Maglights over there? If so, grab one of the big 4-D battery Maglights and carry it. It's basically a metal club and can be carried inconspicuously (compared to almost anything else) since it's just a flashlight.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
^^ The OP might want to consider a thinner barreled flashlight for impact use.

I had a 6D Maglite back in the day but sold it after I got my baton certificate. You can't use the standard "ok" grip with those thick Maglites. Consider a Streamlight Ultrastinger (1" barrel") rechargeable instead. It's more expensive but considerably handier to use as a proper baton.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
Not sure if it's been said yet.

Do you have Maglights over there? If so, grab one of the big 4-D battery Maglights and carry it. It's basically a metal club and can be carried inconspicuously (compared to almost anything else) since it's just a flashlight.

Tip from a previous life: fill it with quarters or lead pellets.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Has anyone mentioned developing bo-stick skillz? Not only will that protect you, chics dig it.

Seriously, watch your back. Hope things work out.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Homme
Roughing him up will only land you in deeper ****. Find out his address, and send the authorities an anonymous letter saying he hosts Falun Gong meetups at his home.

That could work nicely.

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bill Smith
That could work nicely.

+1. This could be very effective especially if you were somehow able to get Falon Gong literature or other incriminating stuff and plant it in his Apt.

emptym

Reaction score
I agree that it will probably just blow over and that you should definitely not attack him first.

If you need a weapon and pepper spray or Maglites are illegal, you could use a rolled up magazine. It would give you some distance from a knife. A pen could be useful too. But if it were me, I'd probably want to just use my hands, feet, etc, bec. that's what I'd trained w/. I think the same is true for you. Trust your training.

What steps are you and your girlfriend making to make sure she's safe when you're not around?

Surfrider

Reaction score
Since so many people are advocating weapons, I'd like to throw something out there for you to think about. Now, I'd never claim to be a master at anything, but over the past 20 years I *have* had a lot of training, and a lot of exposure to a very wide variety of martial sports, martial arts, and combat systems. So, while I'm certainly no authority, I'm not a layman either. Do what you will with the following: Many martial arts -- especially the chinese martial arts -- have a lot of fun, interesting, and beautiful weapons systems, but while they may have been useful at one point in the past, the vast majority of them are now completely useless; who carries a kusarigama with them as they go about their daily business? No, in the modern age, the two most practical (melee) weapons with which to train are sticks/canes and, in places that aren't so fascist as to disallow them, knives. Since the latter is not an option for you, I'll address the former. Look around where you are at right now; chances are that there is something within easy reach than can be used as an improvised stick-type weapon; a rolling pin, a rolled-up newspaper, a chair leg, a ruler or yardstick, a cricked bat or hurley, a tennis racquet, or even an actual stick off a tree. Items like these are always at hand, and, in the right hands, can be utterly devastating. Probably the ideal tool for your situation is a walking cane; they make absolutely brilliant weapon in modern society. Canes extremely versatile, they're always drawn and ready to go, they're inconspicuous, and -- unlike a bladed or projectile weapon -- nobody can tell you you can't take your walking cane with you wherever you go. There is also the "combat umbrella." Don't laugh; these things are actually pretty slick, and actually have their applications. If you must carry a weapon, these are the lines along which you should be thinking. The problem with weapons, however, is that without proper training (and practice, practice, practice!), it's possible, perhaps even likely that an attacker could disarm you and use the weapon against you. I'm not trying to discourage you (quite the opposite, actually), but you should think long and hard before you start carrying a weapon to fend off this fat ****. Regardless, you should be learning how to defend yourself, and weapons should be but a suppliment to empty-hand techniques. You might be the world's greatest badass with a hanbo, but if it gets taken from you...now what? Given your location, it probably wouldn't be hard to find a teacher. But all that aside, there is one "weapon" which is far superior to any others that the armchair ninjas might recommend; attentiveness. Being aware of your surroundings, the people in those surroundings, and what those people are doing will help you far more than any combat practice. You don't need to be paranoid, but you do need to be alert. Good luck.
Originally Posted by NorCal
Two men from China in a dick measuring contest? That's a battle no one wins.
Actually lol'ed on this one. This is just begging to be in somebody's sig.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads