• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Place to get a suit in Dallas?

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm getting married in November and would like to be wearing a great-fitting suit while doing so.

I live in Dallas so there are plenty of suit stores around here. Up to this point, I have mostly stuck with Suit Supply. They were off the rack suits with some minor adjustments. However, I wouldn't mind getting something more tailored to me if budget allows.

The list that I have so far (through searching on here):

1. Alton Lane
2. Knot Standard
3. Pockets
4. Steed (visits Dallas 4x per year apparently)
5. Q Clothier
6. Lombardo
7. Brooks Brothers

Does anybody have a favorite out of these? Or another recommendation all together? I have a pretty "normal" build: 5'10", 175 pounds, pretty broad chest/muscular build. Seems quite a few jackets fit me ok off the rack (or maybe that is just my ignorance of a proper fitting suit coming into play). I also like more modern slim-fitting suits as opposed to the more traditional.

I would love a bespoke suit but not sure if my budget would allow it. Also a full canvas suit would be nice. Aiming to keep it at $1,500 to $2,000.

Thanks in advance for any help.

JGARY

Reaction score
Congrats on your upcoming wedding. I’m a happy Steed customer, and I think their mtm option is within your budget. But I wouldn’t classify their cut as slim and modern. If I were you, I would check out the mtm program at Pockets. Korshak is also worth a look, but, in all honesty, their prices are what encouraged me to try bespoke. The Ralph Lauren shop in Highland Park Village is also an option.

Spills

Reaction score
If you are going to look at Stanley Korshak, then you might as well go to Neiman Marcus.

Reaction score
Sid Mashburn.

Does Sid Mashburn offer MTM? Or do you buy off the rack and make adjustments as necessary?

Congrats on your upcoming wedding. I’m a happy Steed customer, and I think their mtm option is within your budget. But I wouldn’t classify their cut as slim and modern. If I were you, I would check out the mtm program at Pockets. Korshak is also worth a look, but, in all honesty, their prices are what encouraged me to try bespoke. The Ralph Lauren shop in Highland Park Village is also an option.

Would a MTM pockets suit fall within my budget? I was under the impression that they run a bit more. And I checked out Korshak just now. Beautiful suits but way out of my price range.

Spills

Reaction score
Sid Mashburn offers MTM and off the rack. Given your time horizon, they could have the suit made up in time for your wedding. I seem to recall the lead time was 3-4 months. The MTM stuff is based on the Sid "platform" (e.g. Virgil, Kincaid, etc. models), which tend to run toward a more fitted shape. Depending on what type of fabric you want, a MTM may be on the upper end of your budget.

Reaction score
Sid Mashburn offers MTM and off the rack. Given your time horizon, they could have the suit made up in time for your wedding. I seem to recall the lead time was 3-4 months. The MTM stuff is based on the Sid "platform" (e.g. Virgil, Kincaid, etc. models), which tend to run toward a more fitted shape. Depending on what type of fabric you want,

a MTM may be on the upper end of your budget.

I just read some more on Sid Mashburn:

https://www.grailed.com/drycleanonly/sid-mashburn-interview-history

It sounds like their general style is more of a comfortable semi-slim fit. I am looking for something more towards the slim side, even at the expense of some comfort. Might give them a call and see what they recommend.

Last edited:

ystick

Reaction score
If you're aiming for bespoke I believe Chris Despos (who frequently posts on this board) has a shop near your neck of the woods. Albeit he may be out of your price range.

Reaction score
If you're aiming for bespoke I believe Chris Despos (who frequently posts on this board) has a shop near your neck of the woods. Albeit he may be out of your price range.

I don't know Despos' pricing but judging from what I have read on here, it is way out of my range!

Hmmm interesting. Never heard of them. According to the internets, suits start at $999. No idea what a MTM one would run and also don't really see any reviews on them.

A lot of these spots look nice but I wonder if they can give me the tight European cut that I'm looking for. I know it is cliche', but I really like the fit of Suit Supply's suits. It seems many of the shops out there build around a more traditional style. That is great for a suit for the office. But I'm looking for a "wow" suit that is going to really pop and fit me tight like a glove.

Viatu

Reaction score
I don't know Despos' pricing but judging from what I have read on here, it is way out of my range!

Hmmm interesting. Never heard of them. According to the internets, suits start at $999. No idea what a MTM one would run and also don't really see any reviews on them.

A lot of these spots look nice but I wonder if they can give me the tight European cut that I'm looking for. I know it is cliche', but I really like the fit of Suit Supply's suits. It seems many of the shops out there build around a more traditional style. That is great for a suit for the office. But I'm looking for a "wow" suit that is going to really pop and fit me tight like a glove.

I haven't heard much about Uncommon Man either but I figure since you're in the market for a suit and in Dallas you might want to check it out.

JGARY

Reaction score
Then stick with SuitSupply. No shame in that, especially if you like the cut. Paying big money for mtm or bespoke that doesn’t fit your esthetic is a waste of money, no matter how well made it is.

foxinasuit01

Reaction score
I haven't visited the Sid Mashburn store in Dallas, but have used their other shops including Atlanta. They have some flexibility and can make your cut slimmer if you wish. If the Dallas store is anything like their other stores, it'll be top notch.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads