• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Bass Player?

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by life_interrupts
BTW, how y'all feel about Meshell N'Degeocello?

The only time I've heard her was on Mellencamp's remake of Wild Night. She sounded good, if I remember correctly.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Retitle this thread to "My favorite bass player(s)?

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unpainted huffheinz
One of the few people I have wanted to beat to death within five minutes of meeting them. An asshole of epic proportions and most assuredly not a genius.

Haha....please elaborate...this should be good.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
pstoller mentioned Ron Carter. I'd add Richard Davis. I think he played both jazz and classical.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just googled Davis, and it refreshed my memory that he played on Van Morrison's Astral Weeks album. Also, he's still alive and teaches both classical and jazz bass.

bkk

Reaction score
I'm shocked no one has mentioned Cliff Burton. I guess with only 3 major albums to his name, some people forgot.

Another vote for William Murderface just because he can play the bass with his wedding vegetables.

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like Geddy Lee, Chris Squire, but think of the rock players, Entwistle had the most innovative and melodic sound.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maxnharry
I really like Geddy Lee, Chris Squire, but think of the rock players, Entwistle had the most innovative and melodic sound.

I was going to say Geddy Lee purely as a joke.
Entwhistle no joke.

pstoller

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bkk
I'm shocked no one has mentioned Cliff Burton. I guess with only 3 major albums to his name, some people forgot.

It's not my genre...which may explain why, when I just checked him out, I wasn't impressed. In the metal shredder school, gimme Billy Sheehan any day.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Entwhistle no joke.

I'm glad to see someone else besides me finally giving Entwhistle his proper respect in this thread.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
best looking and sounds good
Esperanza Spaulding
http://www.myspace.com/esperanzaspalding

music2-1.jpg

Hawkeye

Reaction score
DANKO!
smile.gif

Chris Wood from Medeski Martin & Wood always impresses me

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
Why would it be a joke...you don't think he's that good?...or you don't think prog-rock requires talent?

In terms of time signatures and tempo...he's very good. He also doesn't "show off". He's also more of a "musician's musician" type. He's also a multi-disciplinary...bass is just his primary instrument.

You have to award him some difficulty points....making "big" music in a rock trio is not easy (helps when the other two members are also at the top of their game). Singing lead vocals, playing keyboards with your feet...as well as playing bass (at the same time) is not a feat most bassist have to face.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads