• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@Fuuma don't you have some really nice bespoke side zips?

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Late in catching up with this thread, but great to hear from @edmorel. Wore a great pair of Panta cornmeal shade linen pants yesterday that are about a decade old, and holding up really well. Still have a repp stripe shantung silk and two very muted matt ancient madder ties in rotation about the same vintage. Among the best value items I own.
Sorry for the derail, back to all things Foo.
Panta still producing trousers and ties?

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I cannot speak for @radicaldog but in my world the connotation was/is: left-wing, academic, creative, intellectual, not "uptight", to the degree that worn crepe-soled suede desert boots (or similar casual but elegant, softer shoes) with jeans, linen/khaki, or corduroy pants in winter formed the core of a style called "sinistrese" ("of the left"). The term still obtains but as with most things the original connotation may not reflect the socio-political reality of the wearer these days.

Spot on. Between the ages of 15 and 25 I barely wore anything other than Clark’s desert boots, even after I left Italy for the US and UK. These days I’ve also got a lot of SF-approved shoes (Vass etc) but I rarely wear them. I’ve circled back to desert boots, sneakers, and various shoes I can wear without socks in summer.

Going back to footwear politics in Italy, I remember in undergrad (early 00s) I once bought a pair of triple-soled Church’s plaintoe derbies in a dark brown bookbinder leather (they must’ve been on sale, and they were the kind of shoe my dad wore, so I went for them on a whim). My then girlfriend (now a professor of linguistics) literally asked me if I had gone insane. Those were simpler times, with lines drawn in the sand and all that.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yea but how would Ambrosi design the button on a jeans, like hi buttoning these 45 buttons before you wear your jeans?
Would def need the hidden buttons on the turnup cuffs though. How else you gonna clean the cowshit out?
Buttons? :puzzled:

The 5 pairs of OnePants would def not have buttons or zippers.

Any Nouveau Western collabo with Charvet obviously means: De riguer pièces uniques, which means: snaps up top fop, snaps down below bro; no ifs, ands, or mais's.

The very involved and extended Hermèsian dialogue in this case would be exactly which conches to cover the snaps with.

Who makes the very best bespoke conches, does anybody know?

90d38f3d40b1b324f6861c98a589b12f.jpg

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I want cowboy boots to unironically wear these.

Also Gameday Boots doesn't make GSU-themed boots anymore :(

Isn't that a commuter college? :confused2:

Haven't been in these parts in ages. Just wanted to thank Foo for the legendary content creation once again, wish he had an OnlyFans. And wanted to send love to the old timers like Fuuma, AHarris, Roma, RJMan, Journeyman, a bunch of others, you know who you are. Tearing up as I write this. :marchal:

I know who I am, but you forgot to mention me, so kiss ******.

I feel like Foo is turning into the stereotypical rich guy with terrible taste.

Imagine you and your friend going out for lunch. A loud Porsche 911 pulls up. It's the color of blue boba tea.

An Asian guy steps out with expensive cowboy boots. The boots have nubby stitching. He's wearing a black leather Saint Laurent double rider over his Patagonia fleece vest and bespoke Charvet Western shirt. An expensive Patek gleams from his wrist. He bought it from a dealer in the Caribbean.

Your friend: Man, that guy has terrible taste

You: You fool. You idiot. That's mafoofan. He a legend in the world of classic men's style.

I lol'd.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
you like it, the lamb?
What.....colour.... of the suit....... should... the member wear. if the meal is eaten............. in town.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing my 1930s period correct spats, spearpoint collar, and three-piece Donegal suit. Confidently ignoring the fake Rules™ bloggers write about online. I know I'm the most casually dressed person waiting in line for a corndog at the mall, and that's enough.

Cute outfit. Don't forget your purple socks!

unless it's really loud tweed and flannel jacket it's probably not that showy in the fall? Don't go full English country outdoor style, like I would think it's pretty muted if you do like a cord+tweed in the fall in bunch solids?

Not inherently showy, no. I have and wear tweed/flannel trousers and jackets myself. It just becomes showy in the way it's done from time to time.

Imagine seeing this in the heart of downtown:

100803060_10158168073502976_8896487895636901888_o.jpg

I can't help but think that a grey flannel suit would be just as appropriate for the season, and also be far more comfortable. That doesn't mean tweed and all that can't be done well.

Conversely why not wear a suit casually, as it's a casual garment:

9811.jpg
tumblr_617fc66c18a94fcf0af7709743520fdd_d89b68cf_540.jpg

It's basically just about being comfortable in what someone wears.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Cute outfit. Don't forget your purple socks!

Not inherently showy, no. I have and wear tweed/flannel trousers and jackets myself. It just becomes showy in the way it's done from time to time.

Imagine seeing this in the heart of downtown:

View attachment 1623235

I can't help but think that a grey flannel suit would be just as appropriate for the season, and also be far more comfortable. That doesn't mean tweed and all that can't be done well.

Conversely why not wear a suit casually, as it's a casual garment:

View attachment 1623257
View attachment 1623272

It's basically just about being comfortable in what someone wears.

Being comfortable in your clothes is certainly a prerequisite for style, but I don’t think it’s sufficient. You also also need to be responsive to context and decorum.

Until relatively recently, a suit could be worn across a wide range of settings without being completely out of place. In 2010, wearing a suit optionally in a casual, unstructured environment (going shopping at the mall or walking through a park) might have placed you at the top ~5th percentile for formality. Unique maybe, but not singularly odd. Now, a suit in the same casual context doesn’t even register on the curve. You wind-up looking like a highly-conspicuous and confused anomaly—you are either clueless about the occasion, on the way to a wedding or funeral, a clothing salesman, or a time traveller. There is such a thing as obsoletion and timeliness, even if one is not driven by outright fashionability. There is also a point at which clothes become costume.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads