• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke Shoe Makers that DON'T Require a Fitting

puffdaddy

Reaction score
I have ordered three bespoke shoes from two different makers and without the fitting stage, the shoes would have been unwearable.

In all three cases, the quarters/instep proved far too generous in the test stage.

If you don't have any foot problems nor want to tweak a design, consider yourself lucky. There are great MTO programs out there. However, with all due respect to some previous posters, I simply cannot see how a fitting can be avoided.

Maybe that is just my experience and the measurers and lastmakers I've dealt with have been somewhat deficient, but I doubt it.

I suppose the question is whether close enough is good enough. For 3K+ per pair I don't think so.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pledge
Finally, did you ever consider JP Mhyre for a commission? Thanks.

he did and it is a fairly bizarre story...

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by macaroni
...and here http://macaronitomatoenglish.blogspot.com

i like this part of the story:

As most Central European cobblers Wielądek only adjusts already existing lasts for new clients, instead of making them from scratch. There is no fitting in the process.

He believes fitting is a "žfrolic".

"žYou can't really learn anything from putting an upper on ones foot, you must trust my skills" - he told me. I suppose this process would be called made to measure in Britain rather than bespoke, but all Polish cobblers seem to be working that way.

this man shares the same opinion.
smile.gif

Gruto

Reaction score
I follow the idea that bespoke shirts and suits are more valuable than bespoke shoes. On the other hand, I find a tremendous difference in good fit between my RTW shoes and bespoke shoes.

Concerning a trial shoe, I doubt it's that necessary. Your first pair might not have a perfect fit, but they will be useful indeed. The second pair will have it.

macaroni

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
this man shares the same opinion.
smile.gif

And this is to prove what? I have a pair of shoes form my cobbler and they don't look anything like the ones you put link to.

Correct me if I'm wrong but fitting shoes means putting an upper on ones foot? The shoe is not constructed yet. And only after it is constructed around the last you can really evaluate the fit. I think it makes perfect sense.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And this is to prove what? I have a pair of shoes form my cobbler and they don't look anything like the ones you put link to.

Correct me if I'm wrong but fitting shoes means putting an upper on ones foot? The shoe is not constructed yet. And only after it is constructed around the last you can really evaluate the fit. I think it makes perfect sense.

i dunno what you are talking about. there are several approaches due to different schools of shoemaking. you are sticking to the shape. ok

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Fittings can be done at different stages: A number of continental firms (among them John Lobb Paris use (in the first place) the "˜Cinderella slipper'. The last is covert in a special plastic foil and with heat and vacuum this foil is formed to the shape of the last.

Bergshoeff.jpg

Picture from the Dutch Mischa Bergshoeff: http://www.ilmaestro.nl/index2.html

Another method used on the continent is a "˜prova' (trial shoe) made from scrap leather, then lasted and fitted with a cemented (glued) sole. Some Italian and Japanese shoemakers, during the fitting process, will cut the "˜prova' open to see how things look inside. (Some people will argue, this is purely show-biz, just like a restaurant flambÃ
00a9.png
ing certain dishes at the table is for effect not for taste.)

English shoemakers usually make a finished upper, then the shoes will get lasted, fully welted and have a temporary heel attached. Apart from the outer sole, the shoes are fully made. If any alterations are necessary, the last is adjusted and (in many cases) the shoes will have to be re-made as the insole might not fit anymore. That is called "˜in-welt' and looks like this:

austeritybrogue005.jpg

austeritybrogue004.jpg

There is also a method of "˜bracing', where the lasted uppers are stitched to the insole with whip stitch (so the shoes are not fully welted yet). Alterations are easier as the shoes are at an earlier stage.

The fitting is intended, primarily, to check the last not the upper, nor the pattern. With every stitching hole showing permanently in the leather, you cannot really alter a pair of uppers. If there should be a problem, the uppers will have to be binned and a new pair will have to be made.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pledge
can you share?...

no, it is his own story and he shared it already in a thread.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bespoke must be fully bespoke... The cobbler or artisan is having two or three fittings to completely adapt the shoe to your foot morphology...
As the left foot is always a bit different in shape/volume than the right one, that is the ultimate argument to explain why bespoke is better than made to measure...
Made to mesure is easier for the cobbler because he is using already made lasts ...
Dimitri Gomez tried to interest me in one of his made to mesure models but I did think at the moment that for the price asked the MTM process was not interesting..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads