• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bathroom Renovation

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just curious - what's the average spend on a remodel?
I know it's a bit of a cryptic question - size, fixtures etc.
10' x 12' space.
The works - decent fixtures like Grohe, Duravit - new medicine cabinets, floor & wall tiles, toilet, vanity, tub, shower screen etc.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No idea re the question asked, but Id just like to comment that in 2010 going without headed floors would be uncivilized. It's a cheap add too.

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
depending on your materials, it can be extremely expensive. My parents did their washroom and it cost them (what I think was) 40k. They don't tell me much, but I have ways of finding everything out haha.

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven
depending on your materials, it can be extremely expensive. My parents did their washroom and it cost them (what I think was) 40k. They don't tell me much, but I have ways of finding everything out haha.

And you're worried about making money?
confused.gif

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven

30-40K sounds pretty typical for the type of job suggested.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
$300-600 / sq ft depending on the quality and price of the materials and fixtures used.

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
$300-600 / sq ft depending on the quality and price of the materials and fixtures used.

Sounds about right.
Insane numbers - I build restaurants with less stress , aggravation (and cost) than doing the bathrooms and kitchen at home are causing..

yoink

Reaction score
from my experience when shopping around for the fixtures everything is cheaper on the internet compared to the showrooms- even if you hire a contractor and the showroom gives a discounted "contractor pricing"

what kind of look are you going for?

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
also keep in mind that you may need some custom work that will inevitably cost a lot more. Our vanity and glass enclosure for our shower had to be custom built and cost a whole lot more (excluded from the 40k I quoted earlier)

TylerDurden

Reaction score
Parents did their master bath....

Kept the shower....
New cabnets, tile, glass door for the shower, new sinks, counter top, mirrors, new toilet....

My dad did 99% of the work him self, but he's built homes in the past.

I think it cost like $2K, but he bought most the stuff from one of thoes places that sells off excess building materials.

CommercialDoc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yoink
from my experience when shopping around for the fixtures everything is cheaper on the internet compared to the showrooms- even if you hire a contractor and the showroom gives a discounted "contractor pricing"

QFT

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
It's not cheap.

That's why we skipped full bathroom redos when we renovated the interior of our house. We did what I would consider basic cosmetic work -- replacing various toilets, countertops, sinks, fixtures, mirrors, shower doors, etc. -- but left the "footprints" untouched (and certainly didn't rip out full bathtubs or shower stalls).

Our master bathroom is divided up into several different little rooms (bath, shower, vanity, etc.), and I would love to have a larger open space that is more tied together, but I just can't justify dropping the amount of money that it would cost.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yoink

very true. we re-did a bathroom a couple years ago and ran into this. we did order a custom vanity through a showroom but really did get the contractor price (my uncle is a contractor). the fixtures we ordered online - way cheaper than from a showroom even with contractor pricing for the exact same items.

ccc123

Reaction score
10X10X8' gutted to studs and joists and rafters, new walker zanger heated marble floor, steam shower, whirlpool jetted tube, all jado fixtures, kohler tub, toilet , sink white subway tiles 4'up walls with Walker zanger chair rail cap - 6" cove and crown moldings, 3/4"t&G marine grade plywood on floor, new joist at 8"OC, insulated all walls plus steam shower and under tub, Robern medicine cabinet. bids came in at 25-35K - I did it all myself for $14,500 best money I ever spent - remember your in it every day - buy the best you can afford !

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads