• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

oak kitchen cabinetry and the overall cohesiveness of a renovation project

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My father is finally getting around to the renovations he intended on doing when he bought his place. However, he's trying to limit his spending to 15-20k because he doesn't think he'll get back the money if he spends more than that. Right now everything is dark and ugly.

He's approaching everything totally wrong imo. It's like he woke-up today and wants to start having work done without any sort of cohesive plan (I'm assuming it was my mother that worried about this *********** past). My brother renovated his upstairs bathroom in travertine marble with a glass shower and pedestal sink (it's a tiny bathroom). It's not bad in isolation but it doesn't go with the rest of the condo.

The downstairs bathroom is basically an ugly pinkish tile. The bath tub is pink. The kitchen has '70s style brown tile, an earthy/vomitty colored wall tile, and oak cabinets. The same oak cabinets are in the downstairs bathroom, right across from the kitchen.

Originally he was thinking of doing hardwood floors, but now he's changing his mind because there are some other renovation expenses that have come up which he didn't anticipate, so he's going to limit himself to replacing the carpets, doing tiles in the kitchen and bathroom. New shower/sink for the bathroom and new counters in both the bathroom and kitchen. He was asking me to help him pick tile today, but I honestly can't picture anything that will look good with those horrible oak cabinets.

I mean what goes with them except for beige? Has anyone seen kitchens like this that don't look bad? If he would just scrap the cabinets entirely, he'd have much better options, but that obviously adds to the overall cost. Oh and he's got new appliances that he won't be replacing. They're your standard white and not stainless.

The kitchen is tiny but non-standard. Would staining be an option to make it look more modern? Dark wood with white can look good. I think it's a mistake to redo the floors with carpet instead of wood, but it's his money. I really don't know the first thing about resale values of condos and whether he would be able to recoup his costs. I think he should have sat down before doing his upstairs bathroom and decided what he wanted to achieve instead of just approaching it in a piecemeal fashion.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are the current cabinets like?
Are they really something worth holding on to?
What is the design like?
I'm imagining them as kinda standard honey brown oak things.

Striping the finish, staining (or dying) and refinishing might work, but you could also be dropping a lot of money into poor quality cabinets that you'll never be fully content with.

I'd only add that as a non-real estate expert, I've heard many people say "never enter into a remodel in hopes of making your money back" and "always have an exit strategy if you're buying a condo".

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ruben
What are the current cabinets like? Are they really something worth holding on to? What is the design like? I'm imagining them as kinda standard honey brown oak things. Striping the finish, staining (or dying) and refinishing might work, but you could also be dropping a lot of money into poor quality cabinets that you'll never be fully content with. I'd only add that as a non-real estate expert, I've heard many people say "never enter into a remodel in hopes of making your money back" and "always have an exit strategy if you're buying a condo".
Yes. They're really nothing special. I'm guessing whoever built the place was going for a failed attempt at "country." It's quite dreadful. I certainly don't think they're worth hanging on to. His hang-up is the cost of replacing them. I just can't imagine what good replacing the floor tiles and counter will do if he leaves those cabinets in there with that awful wall tile. I don't know jack about renovating but I can't imagine that it would be easy to remove teh wall tile with those cabinets in the way. And it won't be easy to match those cabinets to an attractive counter top imo. I mean what's he gonna do, make everything beige? Talk about drab...

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I'd steer him away from a dark stain, as condo kitchens usually without a window, and keeping things bright is an issue. Go for something richer and darker than that standard honey colour, and go with light floors.

Did I read carpet in the kitchen?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I'd steer him away from a dark stain, as condo kitchens usually without a window, and keeping things bright is an issue. Go for something richer and darker than that standard honey colour, and go with light floors.

Did I read carpet in the kitchen?

No, carpet everywhere else. Tile in the kitchen. I say condo but it's really more of a townhouse condo. He's got the two top levels and lots of windows, including a window in the kitchen, but due to the size of the kitchen I agree that it should be bright. I'd frankly like to see white cabinets in there as well as in the bathroom (which has no windows).

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, if they look anything like I'm thinking, a dark stain wouldn't do much good.
With all the "failed country" casing and hardware it would look like a shoddy TLC show remodel.

Maybe he should just do what he want's with the rest of the kitchen, regardless of how it matches the oak, and then pull the cabinets when he has more money to spend.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Esthensose