• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Basic Rights trousers, a heads up

ebauche

Reaction score
After reading the styleforum journal on Basic Rights trousers, I decided to give them a try. Sounded like everything I was looking for in an everyday pant: washable, nice cut, some nice details like waist adjusters and a dinner split, so I placed and order for three pairs. When I received the trousers, they were a little disappointing, but seemed reasonable for the price point. The linen was a bit stiff, the black cotton was quite thin, the cotton very heavy, a couple of minor fabric flaws, and the stitching looked a bit cheap and hurried. The fit was good, so regardless I decided to keep them.

Problem one: the trousers have extra fabric in the legs to allow for alterations (accoring to their website and included brochure.) To problem is, the trousers are already pressed at the hem which seemed like it would present a problem. Still I decided to give alterations a shot and let the pants out about 3/4" at the hem. My concern was valid, upon letting out the hem there was a very visible line at the hemline where the trousers had been previously pressed. Still, they seemed wearbale although reminiscent of high school pants, and maybe with a washing, the line would mostly disappear.

Problem two: I hand washed one pair of linen trousers and line dried. Right away, something didn't look right. Yep, the trousers had shrunk more than an inch in lengh and about an inch in the waist. Although I had read the trousers were washable here on Styleforum, this seemed obvious and egregious, so I double checked. Yes, on their label its printed the trousers are washable, as well as stated on their website.

Now stuck with three pairs of trousers that were unweable without further alterations and more pressing lines, I decided to contact Basic Rights. At first, their customer service answered right away. They had "never heard of this issue," but they were going to send me a return label, refund me for two pairs and issue credit (a "gift card") for the other pair. Not ideal, but I told them go ahead. Days passed. Nothing, so I contacted them again. This time they said they would issue a "gift card" for the three pairs of trousers. I told them that's not what we agreed to, and a gift card meant I would only be able to purchase more trousers that I couldn't wear. Too bad... I could purchase their "popular shirts and jackets."

Unfortunately, now I'm stuck. Three pairs of trousers totalling almost $600 and none of them are wearable. I understand wearing, altering and washing trousers makes them unreturnable under normal circumstances, but given the fact that I followed their guidelines and the trousers could not withstand their recommendations, I view these as defective.

A friendly warning for anyone interested in Basic Right's products.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wizenmark