• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barney's private label suits? thumbs up? down?

smokinggun

Reaction score
I was over at the Barney's Outlet looking for a pin-stripe and noticed that all the suits in my size were Barney's house brand. The label indicated that it's "Made in Italy", but I'm not enough of an expert to judge quality of fabric or workmanship.

The price is attractive (under $450), but is it a Bargain? Anyone know the manufacturer?

Do you think I could do better for a sub-$600 suit (in-store, non-eBay)?

thc

Reaction score
A lot of Barney's Private Label stuff is made in the same factories as designer Italian stuff like Armani, Cerruti, etc. The quality is good for standard, non-custom suits.

A price of $450 is a good price. I wouldn't call it a bargain, but it's not a bad price.

smokinggun

Reaction score
Thanks for replying.

I'll keep that Barney's Private Label in mind, but I'm really hoping to score a deal on a Canali somewhere in Southern Cal.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe that A.Harris mentioned that some of Barney's private label suits are by Castagnia, which is light years ahead of Canali in terms of construction and balanced styling IMO.

smokinggun

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

I didn't know that Sartoria Castangia crafts high-end "Battistoni" suits for Barney's. hmmm.....

Still, I would be surprised if they make any of Barney's outlet-priced generic label suits. For $450, it's tempting, but I'd rather pay $600 or $650 for a reputable brand since I don't have the eye to judge quality on my own.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mainline Barney's is equivalent to Hugo Boss.  The Barney's suits with the additional label "Piattelli" are canvassed and equivalent to Corneliani, Canali, and Zegna.  If you are getting the latter for under $450, it's a pretty good deal.

Downtowner

Reaction score
The Barney's suits with the additional label "Piattelli" are canvassed and equivalent to Corneliani, Canali, and Zegna. If you are getting the latter for under $450, it's a pretty good deal.

I'm not sure this is universally correct. Saw some Piattelli suits at a Barney's outlet that were most definitely fused. At an alleged retail of less than $1000 (for the suits I saw, anyway), that's not a total surprise.

smokinggun

Reaction score
Just for future reference, the sales staff at Barney's Outlet told me that Nogara manufactures most of their private-label stuff (at least for the Outlets). Never heard of them, but according to a blurb on their website, "Nogara S.p.A. is renowed and appreciated as a specialized semi-canvas manufacturer."

Are Boss suits half-canvassed too?

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Missed this thread earlier. The Piattelli license has gone to several companies in the past - Isaia and Belvest among them. But the latest versions of the Piattelli suits are not as nicely made as that (don't know xactly who is making them.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads