• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barefoot running shoes

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else use barefoot running shoes? I picked up a pair of these today - they looked so goofy I was almost embarassed to try them on in a crowded store - but after a run in the gym, I'm a believer. Before I couldn't run more than 10 minutes without sharp pain in my arches - I went to a podiatrist and he told me he was stumped. Today wearing them for the first time I was actually able to run 3.5 miles (I'm not sure I've ever done that before.) :D

m148-hero.jpg

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone else use barefoot running shoes? I picked up a pair of these today - they looked so goofy I was almost embarassed to try them on in a crowded store - but after a run in the gym, I'm a believer. Before I couldn't run more than 10 minutes without sharp pain in my arches - I went to a podiatrist and he told me he was stumped. Today wearing them for the first time I was actually able to run 3.5 miles (I'm not sure I've ever done that before.) :D
m148-hero.jpg

There's an entire thread on Vibrams not too far below this one. It's recommended when you start forefoot running (which is the only natural way to run in Vibrams, imo) you do about 1/10th your normal distance because your foot will hurt while it adjusts.

mlghax

Reaction score
There's an entire thread on Vibrams not too far below this one. It's recommended when you start forefoot running (which is the only natural way to run in Vibrams, imo) you do about 1/10th your normal distance because your foot will hurt while it adjusts.

So after 5-6 days it feet will get used to it, and I can run as much as I want correct?

kalye

Reaction score
What about new balance Minimums? We don't have them here yet. Only for walking.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I bought a pair of Brooks minimalist shoes today. They have padding at the forefront and felt very comfortable. Looking forward to seeing how they work out for me.

Last edited:

LTSpanky

Reaction score
I started running in minimalist or barefeet about two years ago, and haven't looked back. Started running in Vibram FiveFingers, currently have the Biklias, which are great.

But recently I bought huarache sandals from Luna sandals, and they are all I've been running in. I love them, for the road or trail.

Last edited:

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've got a pair of the adidas version.
http://www.adidas.com/us/product/mens-training-adipure-trainer-shoes/TD035?cid=V20554&search=adipure
Really, REALLY like them. Completely cured my shin splints, amazing for balance/agility type things....just awesome.

I got a set of VFF Sprints a year ago on sale for real cheap, figured why not. I knew my sizing because a buddy has them with a slightly smaller foot and I knew I'd have to go up one size. Fits perfectly.

They have completely healed my shin splints and I now run and walk in a more proper gait and stride. They're quite amazing and also FANTASTIC for doing squats, deadlifts, cleans, etc. Best "sneakers" I ever bought.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just bought a pair of VFF KSOs. I like them a lot. Right now, I'm getting used to them, so haven't starting running in them yet. Are they good only for distance running, or can you do HIIT (sprints followed by jogging) as well?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I just bought a pair of VFF KSOs. I like them a lot. Right now, I'm getting used to them, so haven't starting running in them yet. Are they good only for distance running, or can you do HIIT (sprints followed by jogging) as well?

Well, if they're as similar to track spikes as I think they are, you're probably good for any sort of workout, provided you give your achilles tendon time to adjust to the lower heel.

kalye

Reaction score
gonna try the minimus tom, they new balance guy called they said they just came in.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So after 5-6 days it feet will get used to it, and I can run as much as I want correct?

I think that running 10% of the normal distance and the running only once every other day thing on their website is a bunch of nonsense - seems like they are just saying that to avoid getting sued if someone gets injured from carelessly overdoing it.

For me - the "normal distance" before I got these was zero - since I got them, 3 miles a day, 5 days a week at a fairly slow pace (4.5-5.5mph) First few days felt a little funny, but nothing severe, yesterday I went for a run and not a single moment of foot discomfort. But I may have gotten used to it faster because I run slow, or because I'm actually used to running barefoot - the last time I remember running on a regular basis was in karate years ago - and that was always barefoot - that was like my AHA moment.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Staff online

Forum statistics