• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bands that are Tasteful.

Kookz

Reaction score
We had a similar thread on another forum about the worst bands out there.

Nickelback and Creed were the two constants from everyone, regardless of their tastes. Limp Bizkit should be thrown in there.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kookz
We had a similar thread on another forum about the worst bands out there.

Nickelback and Creed were the two constants from everyone, regardless of their tastes. Limp Bizkit should be thrown in there.

Don't forget Kid Rock.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Artists that try to incorporate both elements of rap and rock are almost always abysmal. RATM, Linkin Park, etc.

Also Sum41 and Blink 182

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by djs488
Excuse me while I shoot myself in the face. Actually, the next person to try and strike up a conversation with me about their Stephen Malkmus adoration should shoot themselves in the face. Fine, fine band, but it is NO indication of taste -- in certain scenes Pavement is as popular is Coldplay is on a national level.

Dumb argument. Half of these bands suggested are named dropped to some degree, some almost to the level of Pavement (ironically, The Fall being one of them).

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
People who like to name-drop The Fall probably have only heard one song by them. They wouldn't know the difference between a Dragnet-era song from something from Hex Enduction Hour from a pick from The Marshall Suite.

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
The Fall Television
Originally Posted by dusty
Think I'm going to go with Swans here
Excellent picks, even though the only album I own by The Fall is The Frenz Experiment. I would add Scott Walker, Will Oldham (aka Bonnie "Prince" Billy, Palace Brothers, et al.), and Richard Thompson to the Good list. Maybe Nick Drake as well. None of them are bands, though.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by King Francis
I would add Scott Walker, Will Oldham (aka Bonnie "Prince" Billy, Palace Brothers, et al.), and Richard Thompson to the Good list. Maybe Nick Drake as well. None of them are bands, though.
If you're going that route, I would add Smog/Bill Callahan. Has anyone listed NRBQ or MC5 yet? Acronyms, heh. edit: Adding Half Japanese, The Residents, and a maybe for The Shaggs. I'm not sure if these bands go in the good or bad taste category, but they are surely indicative of something.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dedalus
But generally, when you want to like something for whatever reason, you end up liking it, and so the line between the people who genuinely like the music and the poseurs blur. A lot of music appreciation is just being open-minded enough to give it a chance.

This is kind of my point. A lot of people who have otherwise awful taste in music like some good bands, so they're poor measures for taste. This has come up a few times in this thread - someone names a good band, and someone else says "yeah, but half their fans are posers."

On the contrary, people who like certain terrible bands are almost uniformly people with bad taste, as evidenced by the fact that no one here has jumped to the defense of Creed or their fans. If someone likes Creed the probability of them having overall poor taste is much stronger than is the likelihood of someone who likes a great band having overall good taste.

Originally Posted by Eccentric
This is my thought as well. To the list of predictors of bad taste, I will add:

Hollywood Undead
Kid Rock
Linkin Park

While it is not necessarily an indicator of taste, I am distrustful of anyone who has more than a passing admiration for Nirvana.

To me, Nirvana has always been one of those bands who was more important as an icon than as musicians. Everyone acknowledges their contribution to the death of hair metal (which I think was a good thing), but no one claims them as a musical influence.

Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Good: Mr. Bungle
Bad: Faith No More

I concur.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
This is kind of my point. A lot of people who have otherwise awful taste in music like some good bands, so they're poor measures for taste. This has come up a few times in this thread - someone names a good band, and someone else says "yeah, but half their fans are posers."

On the contrary, people who like certain terrible bands are almost uniformly people with bad taste, as evidenced by the fact that no one here has jumped to the defense of Creed or their fans. If someone likes Creed the probability of them having overall poor taste is much stronger than is the likelihood of someone who likes a great band having overall good taste.

Oh, I guess I agree with you then.

Creed and Nickelback and ICP et al. are so easy to put in the bad taste pile. Let's push those boundaries a little:

Keane
The Fray
Kings of Leon

Gray's Anatomy or maybe Zach Braff rock, I guess. They are everything that is wrong with radio rock music. I would add Snow Patrol, but I could see good/bad overlap due to Reindeer Section.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads