• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaRubbery

Reaction score
Heads up for jet setting Australian igents. I hit up carmina Singapore and edetal - both quite inflated from online prices; but perhaps useful for confirming fit.

Managed to convince the now-Mrs. to look at carmina rather than same priced pleather glued sole constructions. Not sure if this is a good thing for my wallet, but at least she'll have cred on any #menswear tumblr posts ...

skeen7908

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Nuffink wrong with Romania, dudes et dudettes.

One of the world's best plastic surgeons is a Romanian guy. I spent a week in Bacau with him at his clinic. Learnt a lot.

They make fantastic violins and celli at extremely competitive prices.

Some of the women are incredibly hot.

On the whole: a cultured, educated nation rendered lean and hungry by decades of despotic Communist misrule; primed and ready for rapid growth. I would happily invest there. (I wouldn't actually live there. It's way too cold.)

I concur there are a number of excellent doctors in Romania at the top of their fields.

However the country of Romania is generally a shithole and the people generally miserable and cowardly and corrupt much like their erstwhile ruler

Are you a plastic surgeon coxsackie? I always felt if I was a plastic surgeon I'd head to Japan or South Korea to learn: they do amazing work there

nabilmust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heads up for jet setting Australian igents. I hit up carmina Singapore and edetal - both quite inflated from online prices; but perhaps useful for confirming fit.

Managed to convince the now-Mrs. to look at carmina rather than same priced pleather glued sole constructions. Not sure if this is a good thing for my wallet, but at least she'll have cred on any #menswear tumblr posts ...

The prices at the Carmina store in Singapore are ******* ridiculous.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I am still waiting for a pair of Vass I bought in the US on the 8th Dec and with the stupid Pitney Bowes shipping/eBay Tracked ripoff the parcel spent 6 days moving back and forward all over the USA and now has arrived Down Under on the 17th and still not shown up. I am leaving work on 23 so this will be interesting. Plus about 30% more for shippingthan first class international that you used to pay in the USA. evilBay.

They finally arrived on the 22 December after arriving in Sydney on the 17th December. To think I paid USD46 for the privilege of this eBay enforced shipping. And then the seller forgot to put the shoetrees in the parcel!

Last edited:

Dusty Brogues

Reaction score

The prices at the Carmina store in Singapore are ******* ridiculous.

+ 1 at Paris and Madrid. Parisian lads were friendly and helpful, Madrid store were wankers, rude and unhelpful.

Finbury in Paris were cheap, maybe Meermin quality.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow was just listening to a BBC program that claimed the Paisley patten has strong connections with virility as the patten according to psychologists mimics sperm and is the same shape. Paisley is a way of saying i'm all man.

The opinion comes from The Tie: Trends and Traditions by Sarah Gibbings

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
doing a short trip in Melbourne over the next few days. any good recommendations re restaurants (and cafes) that won't require/won't need a week advance booking? TIA

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow was just listening to a BBC program that claimed the Paisley patten has strong connections with virility as the patten according to psychologists mimics sperm and is the same shape. Paisley is a way of saying i'm all man.

The opinion comes from The Tie: Trends and Traditions by Sarah Gibbings

It might be a way of declaring your virility, but the pattern itself is about 500 years old and originated in Persia, as a stylised representation of vegetation. Therefore, I don't think that there's any deliberate mimicry of sperm happening there.

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
500 years old and originated in Persia, as a stylised representation of vegetation.
I dunno, the evidence of sperm based design now seems overwhelming.

• Sperm pre-dates 500 years ago...coincidence?
  • if you designed something inspired by ****, when asked about it publicly, wouldn't you lie and pick an unsuspecting item like 'vegetables'
  • Lets assume we buy into the vegetable angle, doesn't mean subconsciously they weren't motivated by sperm, only psychologists could possibly give us this insight into their sperm dilated motivations..

It's all coming into focus now, like some bizarre magic eye picture where the answer is clear...we should never look at paisley ties the same again.

Last edited:

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's all coming into focus now, like some bizarre magic eye picture where the answer is clear...we should never look at paisley ties the same again.

Or Prince of Paisley...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads