• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Here's one to get people going. Was in chatting about carmina with the guys in double monk the other day. Apparently they're dropping them as there isn't as much demand for them and the quality of C&J is much better which is at the same price point.

I have about 6 pairs of C&J. Handgrade and benchmade. Vintage and recent. Have to say their aesthetic particularly the 338 handgrade last is a beauty . Classic style and construction you don't find with Carmina.

I'd have to say EG is more comfortable but C&J look better on your feet.

I suspect now that Herringbone have dropped C&J that is why they are taking them up.

Not to say Carmina does not make a good shoe for the price either.

Last edited:

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Australia Post doing what it does best. Note that the shipment originated in Queensland, and was originally sent to my nominated address in Melbourne. However, it arrived three days too late, so on Monday 7th, I requested a redirection to a Post Office agency near where I work in Sydney. That's where the real fun starts - since that request was lodged, it's been up to Sydney and back, twice. As of today, it's back in NSW for the third time - but goodness knows whether they will actually forward it to my nominated PO, or send it back to Victoria again. I suspect the latter.
I am still waiting for a pair of Vass I bought in the US on the 8th Dec and with the stupid Pitney Bowes shipping/eBay Tracked ripoff the parcel spent 6 days moving back and forward all over the USA and now has arrived Down Under on the 17th and still not shown up. I am leaving work on 23 so this will be interesting. Plus about 30% more for shippingthan first class international that you used to pay in the USA. evilBay.

Last edited:

Dusty Brogues

Reaction score

Nuffink wrong with Romania, dudes et dudettes.

One of the world's best plastic surgeons is a Romanian guy. I spent a week in Bacau with him at his clinic. Learnt a lot.

They make fantastic violins and celli at extremely competitive prices.

Some of the women are incredibly hot.

On the whole: a cultured, educated nation rendered lean and hungry by decades of despotic Communist misrule; primed and ready for rapid growth. I would happily invest there. (I wouldn't actually live there. It's way too cold.)

My local kebab shop owner is Romanian. Always throws in extra jalapeños and salmonella

Dusty Brogues

Reaction score
Looking at living up a canvas weekender bag for luggage. Tossing up between Filson or Fossil(bricks n Mortar plus they have big reductions) any recommendations on size? Looking at Filson would you go the medium or large?

Cheers db

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fossil stitching is rubbish

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looking at living up a canvas weekender bag for luggage. Tossing up between Filson or Fossil(bricks n Mortar plus they have big reductions) any recommendations on size? Looking at Filson would you go the medium or large?

Cheers db

CR and Trenery have canvas overnight bags on sale at present,

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cheers db

Medium. The small is too small.

crappbag

Reaction score

Cheers db

The medium itself is already 'large' size compared to other cr weekenders.

At full capacity I would struggle to get the filson medium into an overhead

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Country Road canvas bags are great... Or were great. I've got one that's so far lasted 10 years and still in good nick. Not sure quality now.

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cheers db

DB, you might save money in the short term on the Fossil bag, but I suspect that it won't last.

Filson will cost more but it will last you for decades, if not for a lifetime.

Dusty Brogues

Reaction score
Thanks guys on bag advice! I have a Trenery clearance store nearby I'll check out along with CR.

Filson still remains very tempting, thanks for sizing advice
1f44d-1f3fd.png

Last edited:

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks guys on bag advice! I have a Trenery clearance store nearby I'll check out along with CR.

Filson still remains very tempting, thanks for sizing advice
1f44d-1f3fd.png

If you go Filson Solomon Brothers in Huston have the best prices on their products. Mrs GF bought my Field Satchel from there back when he Pacific Peso had value, was a a couple of hundred cheaper than anywhere else at the time.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suspect now that Herringbone have dropped C&J

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that Van Laack are dropping Herringbone?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that Van Laack are dropping Herringbone?

Really?

I haven't heard anything about VL dropping Herringbone, although it's been very disappointing to see how VL has forced Herringbone and Rhodes & Beckett to become virtual clones over the past few years - they order from the same catalogues, their websites and product shots are very, very similar, and Herringbone has become a sad shadow of its former self.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members