• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bespoke jeans? What next - bespoke overalls? Or Bespoke stubbies?
Here's my second pair of overalls in the Dugdale Royal Classic - Light Grey Birdseye. A couple things off: the waistband is split, and is about an inch and a half too high, but other than that, I'm pretty happy. Think on the next pair we'll get rid of the side buttons and make the whole vest portion a little more low profile. The shirt is also from Luxire: Classic Blue Oxford with hidden placket, hidden button down, single link cuffs.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you for confiriming that this looks as ridiculous as it sounds.

Sartorial Scum

Reaction score

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/fed...ffice-you-demean-yourself-20140505-37rn7.html

A bit of an extreme position taken by this writer. Thoughts?

"Yet suits are nothing more than symbols: empty expressions of wealth and authority. They were first worn by middle-class British dandies trying to pass themselves off as aristocrats, and I'd argue that nothing's changed in the 200 years since"

Trouble is, there are no aristocrats here to pass oneself off as (at least not until TA really revs up the K&D scheme).

Truth is, in most Australian workplaces you don't need to wear a suit and tie, but some people still do. That can only be because they want to, in which case this blogger is wrong.

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/fed...ffice-you-demean-yourself-20140505-37rn7.html

"Yet suits are nothing more than symbols: empty expressions of wealth and authority. They were first worn by middle-class British dandies trying to pass themselves off as aristocrats, and I'd argue that nothing's changed in the 200 years since"
These articles are sounding really hollow and repetitive. Same old arguments. Judge me for what I do, not how I dress (sure, buddy). The tie is dead. Individual self-expression instead of conformism. Anachronistic dress code. Uncomfortable.

Anything I have missed?

Shallow arguments never ever consider the irony of their assertions, let alone consideration of arguments against. For example, I would wager that more people wear jeans than suits. Is that not conformism? How about tattoos, earrings, piercings? Is that not totally decorative, just like the tie, sans the pain? Are tight jeans and polyester jackets more comfortable?

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As for the author and his thoughts IMHO another middle class wanker full of his own self importance in search of an audience.

Last edited:

nabilmust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This dude. Left his fact-checker at home.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Weak article. I used to work with Steedman post his MP life. He used to drive a late model Jag. And lived in a very big house in Camberwell plus holiday house at coast - not in his electorate which was ageing hippies in the hills in those days. None of them wore RMWs either. He only held the seat for one year. Family money and married into money as well. The jeans and leather jacket was a calculated presentation to appear like the "common man". It was no cavalier dress sense. Not to say he didn't like wearing it.

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

These articles are sounding really hollow and repetitive. Same old arguments. Judge me for what I do, not how I dress (sure, buddy). The tie is dead. Individual self-expression instead of conformism. Anachronistic dress code. Uncomfortable.

Anything I have missed?

Shallow arguments never ever consider the irony of their assertions, let alone consideration of arguments against. For example, I would wager that more people wear jeans than suits.  Is that not conformism? How about tattoos, earrings, piercings? Is that not totally decorative, just like the tie, sans the pain? Are tight jeans and polyester jackets more comfortable? 

Well said.

At the risk of stepping on to GF's sociological turf, all clothing has some significance of some relevance - nothing we wear is entirely devoid of meaning and thus all clothing contains some sort of message, although the message can be different depending on the "audience".

If I were to wear a tracksuit to work instead of a business suit, I'd be sending a message, just as if I wore a pair of jeans and a leather jacket.

As you said, a lot of people disdain wearing a suit and tie, and yet they choose to make uncomfortable and constrictive fashion/style choices that nonetheless label them members of a particular group or groups.

mlodder

Reaction score
This article seems rather contradictory given that it is written by a man who is wearing a suit (sans tie).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics