• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

math_grad

Reaction score

Be careful.
With aftershave you should really be using a cream or moisturizer based product not an alcohol based astringent which will dry out your skin.

Did anybody else think Patrick Bateman, American Psycho when they read this?

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
New P Johnson 7-Fold tie in chocolate and a MTM P Johnson shirt with Thomas Mason fabric and cutaway collar for RB. The 7-fold is really lightweight and lovely to tie!

http://www.stickysteps.com/post/23503934717/p-johnson-7-fold-tie-in-chocolate-and-p-johnson

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Speaking of which, does anyone have any recommendation for face moisturiser? Previously used Lancome and Shiseido but i think I need something suited better to sensitive skin.

Try Aesop comes highly recommended.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've used Kiehls and Aesop, both good stuff. Olay from the supermarket is just as good, and cheaper.

As for frangrance, I've decided I'm old enough to wear Acqua di Parma, and never looked back...

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

laphroaig

Reaction score

I asked my local cobbler* about this on the weekend and he said he just uses leather dye in the right colour to treat the edges.
*and just to give them a plug - Jazma Shoes in Balmain (in the Arcade opposite Woolies). Great work and they stock Loake, Bartelesi, Red Wing and RM Williams and their own house brand (made in Lebanon, and pretty decent shoes at a good price).

Thanks. Have you had them do a partial or a full resole and what do they use for heels?

smeggett

Reaction score
A couple of polishes later and it's patina. People pay big dollars to get some pre prepared fake patina put on their shoes.
This is real patina with the added bonus is that you have a story behind it. Or you can make a good one up. That's if anyone ever notices. Which they won't.

Well said! Polish them properly and these so-called blemishes will only serve to add character.

Yes what fxh said. And he would also recommend you do not wear socks as this will draw the eye away from the shoes to your (www.)sexyankles(.tumblr.com)

Well, it' s been a little while, but I've given the shoes a good working over with leather conditioner and buffed it out. Quite happy with the result as it stands!
smile.gif

I must say, GN, I am mighty impressed with your shoe shining efforts posted over the past few days. I'm looking forward to teaching myself how to get a similar look once I find some decent polish (as opposed to conditioner) which matches the color of the Westbournes nicely.

As for no socks - well, let's just say it's never been something I've ever considered, having never resided in Thornbury (actually in this town - old school blue collar - I stand out enough as it is when I take the time to dress up in classic MC style (well, as far as I can with my limited wardrobe...)).

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
QV light moisturiser; or Cedaphil moisturiser for night/general use.

There's an Ego one i use that is used every morning - protects your skin from Australia's UVA and UVB. Has a matte finish. Smells a tad funky but smell goes away after 10-15 minutes.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance - born, no doubt, from reading this thread only intermittently - but what is this mythical shoe polishing method? I'm pretty happy with my results of late, but am always happy to improve, and Gerry's look great, as do the black Hallams that were posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads