• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durazing

Reaction score
I need some input from the collective wisdom here. Did a search but my inept boolean skills failed. What I would like is a recommended place to get some good quality (possibly handstiched) working button holes done for a recently arrived Sports Jacket. I am just north of the bridge in McMahons Point, Sydney. So anywhere in the city would be ideal. Thanks.

On another note I just received my first order from Epaulet. A test run to gauge their sizing. Really pleased with the Rivet Chinos.

Last edited:

Prof. B. Bear

Reaction score
Small chance of rain today so decided to wear this thrifted peacoat I bought years ago.

MraCX.jpg

8ycYO.jpg

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

2 hours per square sounds like a lot, I know what my tie maker in Italy charges for hand rolled squares and it definitely doesn't reflect that amount of labour that's for sure.
I think for squares (and ties) it should be a happy medium. I agree that I personally could never be bothered expending the energy to get squares in op shops for nothing, because I just don't have the time.

Each to his own.

For me opshops are a long habit/hobby from back when I was an old hippie younger person. Think of it as rejecting consumerism, the throwaway society and constant dictates of media and fashion. It's recycling.

Before online they were the only places to get good Harris Tweed jackets at affordable prices or often at any price, plus English made shirts from Jermyn Street, or Brooks Brothers shirts in ocbd and silk ties.

I consider it a donation to charity . Mostly I can do a run through in an opshop in 5 mins. Perhaps 10 if I haven't been there before. If I feel the right material, the colour is right, the size looks about right then I grab it. If it doesn't fit I give it back or give it away. It's another donation to charity.

If something costs $2 or $3 I hand over $5 and don't wait for change. It's a charity remember.

Often you get better stuff in opshops.

Plus you meet a much better class of person in opshops than you do in up market fashion shops.

Try it sometime.

Edit:: for example last weekend I went for one of my usual bike rides, called into an opshop, picked up a never worn, thick Oxford cloth button down 100% cotton, made in Italy $5. What's not to like. (I am slightly embarrassed to admit its pink)

I was really looking to get a lime thick shake but couldn't find anywhere.

Last edited:

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you take Kent Wang made in USA squares starting 25 bucks and even Rhodes and Beckett made in england ones at 45 bucks those numbers coming from hober definitely don't add up.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Blah , I have no objection to people charging what they can get. I like commerce. But I also like competition. I like the market place.

Don't forget in the end a breast pocket hankie is just a bit of material you shove casually (I hope) in your top pocket. No ones life depends on it.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I need some input from the collective wisdom here. Did a search but my inept boolean skills failed. What I would like is a recommended place to get some good quality (possibly handstiched) working button holes done for a recently arrived Sports Jacket. I am just north of the bridge in McMahons Point, Sydney. So anywhere in the city would be ideal. Thanks.
On another note I just received my first order from Epaulet. A test run to gauge their sizing. Really pleased with the Rivet Chinos.

If you want them the that's fine.

But these days it doesn't mean much. Years ago it was a small indicator you cared or had a bespoke suit.

Now they are on every cheap fashion jacket you see.

Now, none of my suits have them.

The only jackets I have with working button holes are 3 slouchy casual jackets, all cheap but cheerful and good, a cord jacket, a moleskin one and another linen/cotton one.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Speaking of Etsy, I am wearing a vintage navy peacoat (possible US Navy??) I bought off Etsy today! :D

boots especially are great.

Plestor

Reaction score
Aparently the take a long time to roll properly Hober was saying it takes 2 hrs a square or something insane. Also the silk should be ~ 10-20$ a square on top of this... Noticeably more if you have a large pattern to match.

2 hours per square sounds like a lot, I know what my tie maker in Italy charges for hand rolled squares and it definitely doesn't reflect that amount of labour that's for sure.

I think for squares (and ties) it should be a happy medium. I agree that I personally could never be bothered expending the energy to get squares in op shops for nothing, because I just don't have the time. But I think $75 is a bit rich, especially as I know how much they cost wholesale. In saying that, if Patrick can charge $75 and people pay it, more power to him.

Your thoughts on pocket square edges are very interesting and I understand and respect them - sort of like the casual look that some Italians like?

Although, I don't share your viewpoint as perfection is a never ending goal for us in everything we do and i love the look and feel of perfect rolled edges.

The rustic look of pocket squares is very easy to do which is why almost all makers use it. They typically outsource production in the West and use poorly skilled factory workers in the East. Literally they can make pocket squares in 5 to 15 minutes with a large profit margin.

The pocket squares that we make take around 2 hours by a highly trained expert. Also we balance our squares as we make them constantly checking the construction and tearing the pocket square apart if not perfect.

Is the exact quote from the Sam Hober thread.

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Each to his own.
For me opshops are a long habit/hobby from back when I was an old hippie younger person. Think of it as rejecting consumerism, the throwaway society and constant dictates of media and fashion. It's recycling.
Before online they were the only places to get good Harris Tweed jackets at affordable prices or often at any price, plus English made shirts from Jermyn Street, or Brooks Brothers shirts in ocbd and silk ties.
I consider it a donation to charity . Mostly I can do a run through in an opshop in 5 mins. Perhaps 10 if I haven't been there before. If I feel the right material, the colour is right, the size looks about right then I grab it. If it doesn't fit I give it back or give it away. It's another donation to charity.
If something costs $2 or $3 I hand over $5 and don't wait for change. It's a charity remember.
Often you get better stuff in opshops.
Plus you meet a much better class of person in opshops than you do in up market fashion shops.
Try it sometime.
Edit:: for example last weekend I went for one of my usual bike rides, called into an opshop, picked up a never worn, thick Oxford cloth button down 100% cotton, made in Italy $5. What's not to like. (I am slightly embarrassed to admit its pink)
I was really looking to get a lime thick shake but couldn't find anywhere.
quoted for truth.

i've found many treasures in op shops. my best purchases have included 3 x Lanvin ties for $1 each, one of them in original with tags + plastic wrap condition, and it even had the old grace bros sticker on it.

today, i thrifted a pair of APC shoes in good-excellent condition for $15. i'm happy to pay for whatever the asking price is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads