• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philip

Reaction score
I've never really understood the preference for a low button stance, it makes me feel like my upper body is too long and disproportionate to my legs.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Button stance is just a stylistic preference, what's important is where the actual waist of the jacket is.

Selvaggio

Reaction score

Gents,

Opinions/recommendation please, for my first pair of shell cordovan shoes.

Not concerned about the price difference.

Carmina   or     Alden?

Cheers,

Eightace

I haven't seen the Carminas, but I have a pair of the Aldens (straight tips, not perforated, in cigar shell) and I have been pretty happy with the quality.

http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-me..._ald_m_cap_toe_bal_oxford_shell_cordovan.html

The Hampton is a very classic rounded last - which I like. The only thing with shell is, while it will slightly adjust its shape over time, it doesn't seem to actually stretch much - so you would need to be confident of your fit especially on the forefoot width.

tone76

Reaction score

Does anyone from Adelaide have any recommendations for suit alterations?

J. Izzo, Hindley St. He handles my alterations for me. Not the quickest, but he takes care and charges a very reasonable price.

Last edited:

Marbles

Reaction score
I know it's been done to death, but the information is scattered all over the thread (and forum).

Where do you guys buy your shirts & trousers? I'm in Canberra, and trips to Sydney & Melbourne that allow for some free time are few and very far between, so online is a good option AFAIC.

Rob

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know it's been done to death, but the information is scattered all over the thread (and forum).

Where do you guys buy your shirts & trousers? I'm in Canberra, and trips to Sydney & Melbourne that allow for some free time are few and very far between, so online is a good option AFAIC.

Rob

Welcome to another Canberra member! As someone who has lived here almost all my life bar 5 years in sydney I can tell you the shopping here is rather dire (as you have already figured out). There are some well established independent stores here such as John Hanna, Blades, Ken Cook etc but as a general rule the service is usually pretty bad (blades especially) and the prices high. We has Herringbone for a while (which I worked at on the weekends) but it closed down before the Van Laack takeover.

Anyway, I don't really buy any tailored clothes locally anymore except for the odd MJ Bale shirt from DJ's when on sale. Some pointers for shirts -

1 - www.cottonwork.com - I get 95% of my shirts from here now and they are great with my ridiculous requests such as different collar interlining etc.
2 - Benjamin shirts - http://www.ehaberdasher.com/servlet/the-ALL/keyword/1202/start/1/Categories - I've just ordered 2 of these to see what they are like, the collars and fabrics look great from a glance though.

For odd trousers I'm not much help as I get them from a tailor from Hong Kong, but there are plenty of options out there like the Howard Yount ones etc.

And if you need any ties look me up or my FS threads (website coming April). I can come and see you at work/home etc rather than just online sales if youre in Canberra.

Cheers
Jason

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What do you end up paying for these, shipped?

They do free shipping on all orders and the prices vary from the cheapies at $40 each (which I have 2 of and they are not too bad but cotton blend) right up to Thomas Mason at $150+. Most of mine are from the $70-$80 ranges though (Executive and luxury). Lots of fabrics to choose from either way. Their standard interlining is stiff as cardboard but they will change it to a softer one if you email them. I also get the higher collar which has 2 button closure standard, but again they will change it to 1 button for me no probs with an email after ordering. Best thing I have found is they always take responsibility for mistakes and quality control issues and their customer service is great and on the top of that it's all in US dollars, which benefits us quite nicely at the moment.

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bacon: more important than your girly-man clothes.

Comments:
"
And that dream didn't prick your conscience??? You didn't imagine what it would be like for an intelligent, sensitive, sentient being to be imprisoned, tortured, slaughtered and dismembered for the benefit of someone to pose gleefully and chillingly in a photo with your remains???

Commenter Meat is murder Location Melbourne Date and time February 20, 2012, 9:50AM
"

Damn hippy.

Last edited:

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone want to give me a fit critique on this odd jacket? For me everything is good but the length, which I think is an inch or so too long for an odd jacket--it's more than half my height from foot to shoulder.

(Btw it's Herringbone Osaka cut 38R).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads